Wouldn't it be nice if cleaning carpet was enough...

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Diet is 70%, Lifting heavy weights is 20%, cardio is 5% and supplements are 5% or less
Lifting heavy will by far make the biggest change in your body. Dieting without lifting is pretty much worthless... doesnt matter if your 70yrs old just find what is heavy to you dont worry about what others lift.

Moderate sustained cardio (carpet cleaning) or long jogs is good for increasing your NEAT (non exercise activity time) but too much will cause your body to produce excess cortisol, that triggers your body to store fat and also crave calorie dense food like burgers and fries. The cortisol release is a survival tactic our bodies evolved to use because typically long sustained stress would only come from being cold etc when we were cavemen, nobody was stressed from sitting in traffic and nobody jogged for fun

Lifting heavy triggers your CNS (central nervous system) and tells it you need to get stronger, another survival tactic. The strain from lifting is short then you release with a huge exhale, as opposed to running miles where the moderate strain is constant. Thats why u see guys who run miles a day and still have little cow tits, they are full of cortisol.

View attachment 107238
My Brother is in the ground with that kind of thinking!! I beg to differ with you!!!😥

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Obviously there’s light healthy weight training, but to say otherwise is just not accurate. His death is the reason I’ve seen a cardiologist for 20 yrs. now. It’s been discussed extensively in that period.

Mikey P

Administrator
Mountain biking & running are my mainstays these days. I normally hit the trails a half-day each week. And I usually run a couple of miles per day, most other days. That along with a vegan diet is helping. But I'm still a little soft around the middle. :eekk:

Dont you feel kinda silly calling it "mountain biking" in Florida?

"Gravel Biking" is what hipsters call it i believe

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Well at 128 lbs iffn .
I get better I will show ya...
Just moving an cleaning will make me smile...
But seriously just focus core...
Your basic excersize are your best bet for later yrs...
The majority of vets at the hospital I try to work at.
Have weak core an legs focus those.
Just walk ,swim whatever...
Good luck,an lift properly...
Nuff said...

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Dont you feel kinda silly calling it "mountain biking" in Florida?

"Gravel Biking" is what hipsters call it i believe

You'd be surprised Mike. The trails we ride are converted from abandoned phosphate mining operations. People come from all over the country because they're so technical.

Have a look at this list... "The Best Mountain Bike Trails in the World"
Note where number 3 and number 6 on the list are located.
BTW, I was riding at number 6 on the list yesterday and this morning.

P.S. The guy in this video is way better than I am.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
No mountains. But there's plenty of ascending and descending. Old abandoned phosphate mines left the land with tall mounds, pits, and ravines. The trails were groomed into that strata. It's constantly up and down, like a roller coaster with tight twisty switchbacks, near-vertical punchy climbs, steep drops, jumps, whoops, etc. Enough to burn the toughest rider. It's a blast! That's why they're so popular with "mountain" bikers. You'd be surprised how unlike Florida the ride can be. :)
screenshot_1450.png

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
No mountains. But there's plenty of ascending and descending. Abandon phosphate mines left the place with tall mounds, ravines, and pits - and the trails were groomed into that strata. It's constantly up and down, like a roller coaster. Lots of punchy climbing! Enough to burn the toughest rider. The trails are tight and twisty and can be super techy, with loads of tight switchbacks, near-vertical climbs, drops, jumps, whoops, etc. It's a blast! That's why they're so popular with "mountain" bikers. You'd be surprised how unlike Florida the ride can be. :)

View attachment 107261
I watched, it was way cool.

No need for a E assist bike, which is nice.

Just in the PineNut range right here there is over 500 miles of single track, much of it rolling like yours, just nowhere near as green or humid.

Than there's the Tahoe trails...

Reactions: encapman

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Looks like a hoot.

Looks sunny though. I like to ride in the woods as much as possible and try to hide from the sun. I've had too much skin cancer (all 3 varieties; basal cell, squamous, and the grand-daddy melanoma).

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Obviously there’s light healthy weight training, but to say otherwise is just not accurate. His death is the reason I’ve seen a cardiologist for 20 yrs. now. It’s been discussed extensively in that period.
theres a big difference between lifting with good form and powerlifting until your eye balls are popping out... healthy lifting is still heavy though and doing some cardio is as well. You dont need to lift insane weight and blow your spine out, you increase slowly and lift what is heavy to each individual while maintaining healthy form.... ego lifting like you see some doing is definitely risky.

most powerlifters are actually extremely unhealthy, overweight, and have a terrible diet... they are strong but cholesterol is through the roof.... walking heart attacks

to say weight training and challenging yourself with lifting more and getting stronger is not healthy is definitely false info... not all doctors are good doctors.

its all a balance and no amount of exercise can out pace a shitty diet, so healthy diet is #1

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
@Acp i actually went back and bought a gym membership at local iron gym after seeing that photo. I gotta get back to working out. Day one was today. Best part is that its only 5 mins away near where i live.

Reactions: Acp

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
Running a cimex isn't much exercise and I rarely break a sweat. I try to walk everyday for 30-45 min. That and I switched to dark beers as according to the experts, they are heathier.
And actually have TASTE. I can't believe what people drink for beer in this country.

Reactions: JeffC

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
Mountain biking & running are my mainstays these days. I normally hit the trails a half-day each week. And I usually run a couple of miles per day, most other days. That along with a vegan diet is helping. But I'm still a little soft around the middle. :eekk:
You need a mountain! Isn't it pretty flat where you live?

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
@Acp i actually went back and bought a gym membership at local iron gym after seeing that photo. I gotta get back to working out. Day one was today. Best part is that its only 5 mins away near where i live.
hell ya man. https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ is my favorite programming for starting or getting back into it after being out for a while.

Reactions: DAT

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
theres a big difference between lifting with good form and powerlifting until your eye balls are popping out... healthy lifting is still heavy though and doing some cardio is as well. You dont need to lift insane weight and blow your spine out, you increase slowly and lift what is heavy to each individual while maintaining healthy form.... ego lifting like you see some doing is definitely risky.

most powerlifters are actually extremely unhealthy, overweight, and have a terrible diet... they are strong but cholesterol is through the roof.... walking heart attacks

to say weight training and challenging yourself with lifting more and getting stronger is not healthy is definitely false info... not all doctors are good doctors.

its all a balance and no amount of exercise can out pace a shitty diet, so healthy diet is #1
I won’t debate that because it’s like politics. I will say my brother looked perfect, and I mean perfect. He was 56 and probably had a small percentage of body fat. As I’ve said, he looked perfect in the casket. Also as I’ve said, he lifted
The day of his attack, as he’d done for 30 plus years. By the way, he would have been on your side of the debate, but he’s still just as dead🤷🏼‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: Mikey P and Acp

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I won’t debate that because it’s like politics. I will say my brother looked perfect, and I mean perfect. He was 56 and probably had a small percentage of body fat. As I’ve said, he looked perfect in the casket. Also as I’ve said, he lifted
The day of his attack, as he’d done for 30 plus years. By the way, he would have been on your side of the debate, but he’s still just as dead🤷🏼‍♂️
Well what you describe sounds like a pretty healthy guy, heart attacks happen.. my cousin was 36 played baseball in college and kept himself in college athlete level shape. He had a massive heart attack on a bike ride with my brother and my sister when they were camping.... it was very unfortunate and unexpected. I wouldnt say working out and eating healthy had anything to do with his death, it just happens and cardio issues a lot of times are genetic.

some guys walk around 150-200lbs over weight, eat fast food every day, smoke and live to be 80. Lifting some weights and keeping yourself in great shape I would hardly say is anywhere near as dangerous as eating like shit and being obese like 80% of Americans

Reactions: Hack Attack

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
some guys walk around 150-200lbs over weight, eat fast food every day, smoke and live to be 80.
And i know plenty that lives to be 80 working out all their lives. I rather die at 60 with minimal if at all chronic diseases than live to 80 with 20 chronic diseases from being a fat ass. Even better to age 80 fit if i can.

Reactions: Acp

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
And i know plenty that lives to be 80 working out all their lives. I rather die at 60 with minimal if at all chronic diseases than live to 80 with 20 chronic diseases from being a fat ass. Even better to age 80 fit if i can.
ill never again live my life as a man with boobs and an IPA belly like im about to birth twins

Reactions: DAT

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Diet is 70%, Lifting heavy weights is 20%, cardio is 5% and supplements are 5% or less
Lifting heavy will by far make the biggest change in your body. Dieting without lifting is pretty much worthless... doesnt matter if your 70yrs old just find what is heavy to you dont worry about what others lift.

Moderate sustained cardio (carpet cleaning) or long jogs is good for increasing your NEAT (non exercise activity time) but too much will cause your body to produce excess cortisol, that triggers your body to store fat and also crave calorie dense food like burgers and fries. The cortisol release is a survival tactic our bodies evolved to use because typically long sustained stress would only come from being cold etc when we were cavemen, nobody was stressed from sitting in traffic and nobody jogged for fun

Lifting heavy triggers your CNS (central nervous system) and tells it you need to get stronger, another survival tactic. The strain from lifting is short then you release with a huge exhale, as opposed to running miles where the moderate strain is constant. Thats why u see guys who run miles a day and still have little cow tits, they are full of cortisol.

View attachment 107238
Yes! Cardio is the most overrated physical activity you can possibly do. Go to one of those major gyms and look at all the people spending an hour on cardio machines. None of them look like they are in shape. Go over to the weight room and even the guys who aren’t very muscular at least look fit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom