Wrap Heat Exchangers With Exhaust Tape?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
If stainless, any reason not to not wrap exhaust manifold to outlet of last heat exchanger to put a few more BTUs to work?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
That's the way mine is. I have even double wrapped in some places. I think it helps to reduce the radiant heat to surounding components as well. The wrap will degrade over time so I'm considering having my part ceramic coated instead.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I wrap my HXs with duct wrap...it's a foil wit a foam in between...then secure wit tie wraps, it works very well!

Mike Draper

I use fibergalss header wrap for my exhaust HX, and the other type Bob uses for my coolant hx.

Walt

Fiber glass header tape. I didn't notice much of difference but it did make it much easier to work on the machine when it was hot. Pricey though.

Greenie

I have a roll of that stuff here, 100' I beleive, you can have it for $35 plus shipping.

I would definitely wrap SS.

John Watson

I don't want to be chicken Little, but not all stainless is the same. Due to different alloy contents some SS will rust so covering it up or wraping it might cause moisture to form and cause rusting out . Just looking up at the sky...I covered 5 1/2 sides of my 6 sided 308 SS HX with 3/4 in styrofoam. It helps keeping it hotter and since it is between the seats, it helps keep it cooler around that area also..

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
John;

Exhaust wrap is "old school".

Exhaust tubing gives you better insulation and less heat loss:

exhtub.jpg

It also lasts longer than the wrap on this Kohler 31HP engine.

Larry

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Does it work well enough for you to grab the exhaust manifold while the system is running, and hold it for a few seconds?

John Watson

Good question Duane,

Larry, I am from the ols school, I used to wrap boat exhausts in asbestos,

Maybe thats whats wrong wit me?????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom