Wutteryagonnado?

G

The other day got a call from a very old lady who said if she doesn't get her carpets cleaned within two weeks time the landlords will kick her out. I went to her house to give her a quote and the carpet is very old and worn, very soiled, and very smelly with urine. I explained that the very worn areas cannot be magically 'cleaned out' and will have a darker appearance no matter how clean, but she said the main thing is the urine odor that the landlords were complaining about (I don't think she gets out much because she says she don't smell it). She said she needed to keep the cost down so after going over her options she agreed on a topical treatment with no guarantee of full removal of odor (I will likely do more than just a topical) and that she would call me with a definite 'yes' or 'no' and a date and time to clean.

She called me yesterday and said she talked to he landlords about it and they said go for it. BUT (there's always a big but involved), she said she could only give me a post dated check for the 1st of December and if she doesn't get it cleaned she will get kicked out.

What would you do in this whole situation? Run?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Unless you think she is lieing, do it. If the check bounces, consider it your good deed for the week.

If she is very elderly, or obviously alone and a shut-in I would do it for free anyway, but tell her you have to work it into your normal schedule.

Someday that may be you or me....treat them how you would want to be treated.

Take care,
Lisa

joe harper

Name
joe harper
"ITS a NO-BRAINER".....Do the job... :roll:

OR you could MoVe her in with YOU....."when SHE gets KICKed OuT..."

"aren'T you A Pastor... :?: " CAN'T you use a blessing ...to the TUNE of..10 FOLD.. :?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I would do the job. It's not like you don't know where she lives. If it bounces go take her walker away from her and hold it ransom

John G.

Run, good customers are PAYING customers, it is not your obligation to put yourself at risk.

G

I have already made a decision on this and will tell you guys later, I was just kinda curious as to what others would do.

So you would NOT do the job?

What are the potential 'risks' as you see it, John?

John G.

History has shown me, that problem jobs, 9(OT DIRTY< I love dirty,) are the one that are out of the ordinary, people who don't PLAN to have their carpet cleaned, i.e. don't have the money, usually or at least at a MUCH higher rate, be the ones who won't pay you in the end.

F

FB7777

Ask her if you can talk with the landlord, I'd be curious as to what this guys expectations are of your services.

It also gives you the opportunity to verify her story, perhaps he will extend the deadline if he knows there is a confirmed appointment date.

If you do decide to do the job as per her stipulations, you should have the check drawn to you so you are able to go directly to her bank so you are not on the hook for insufficient funds fees if the check is not good.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
too complicated of a situation. I wouldn't do it. I do enough volunteer work

Jay D

Name
Jay D
IF you MUST do it, get a cash partial down payment to cover your gas and chemicals. I think your going to do it but get some cash. The bad thing is she might stop pay on the check if it doesn't turn out good. If Your trying to save her from being kicked out, this is basically charity work for a little old lady. I understand and would probably do it. :roll:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I did one for a lady who said she would mail me a check. it never came. I pretty much gave up on that one, and chalked it up to a good deed. A couple of months later, the check came when I really needed the money.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"IF" I sensed she wasn't a liar...(not all old peeps are honorable just cause they're old, you know)
we'd probably do it for free

I like Fred's idea of calling the manager.
if he confirmed what the Old Bird said, I'd sure enough do it for free
then punch him in the throat for being a heartless prick... :twisted:

truth is, there's likely more to the story when you talk to the manager.
while you're talking to him, put the schmooze on him for his biz too!

..L.T.A.

Make the landlord pay you in full before the cleaning and have him add it to her rent next month. If he wants it cleaned so bad he should pay for it. What does ne expect? That is why he got a security deposit. I can almost certainly guarantee you that the check will never clear.

danielc said:
Make the landlord pay you in full before the cleaning and have him add it to her rent next month. If he wants it cleaned so bad he should pay for it. What does ne expect? That is why he got a security deposit. I can almost certainly guarantee you that the check will never clear.

Sorry I missed the very old part. Maybe her check will clear. I would still make the landlord pay for the cleaning or tell him you will do it when she has the money.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I wouldn't get involved with this mess at all. Walk away- too complicated, too much BS, and the reward at the end for you.... either a bounced check, or more calls next month from other little old ladies looking for a line of credit from you.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I would do it with the full expectation that payment might not ever come. I like Larry's idea about talking to the manager. It never hurts to throw Karma a bone now and then.

G

I forgot to mention that when I answered the phone she said, "Is this Pastor Josh?"

And when I was quoting the job there were flies all over the place and she asked, "Do you know of anything I can do to get rid of all these flies? When I sleep they crawl in my mouth and up my nose and everything."

I mean, GOOD LORD!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jeff Madsen said:
I like Larry's idea about talking to the manager.

That was Fred's idea, Jeff
But I'll take credit..cause I'm so vain...

So Josh, you gonna help the ole girl out, or what?

just "go do the right thing"
get now, ya hear!?! get!

..L.T.A.

G

Shoot, you know me.

When I got done quoting the carpet I went down to the hardware store and got some fly tape/strips and hung them up for her. I told her if she couldn't find someone to take them down for her she could just call me and I'll take them down.

The job is scheduled for the 19th, just like she asked. If I don't get paid, I don't get paid. But at least she won't get kicked out. :|

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I seriously doubt there is a single carpet cleaner on this forum that could not afford to do this job for free.

Has nothing to do with affording to be able to do it. Josh has already wasted enough time doing a walk through, posting on the boards etc etc. He has absolutely no vested interest in this. There is no upside to this situation for Josh whatsoever.

He cleans it and doesn't get paid because the apartment owner isn't happy the woman gets tossed and tells everyone what a lousy job he did and got her kick out of her apartment.

He does a good enough job that woman stays but the landlord comes in and see the place still smells like urine, the landlord says "it is good enough to stay but I would never use that guy.

he does it and the landlord and old lady have a good laugh what a sucker he is. She goes to the senior center and now they all want free carpet cleaning.

If you don't already do enough for people in your community that you can't walk away from issues like this shame on you. The old lady has plenty of tenants rights and after that m,uch where and tear is entilted to new carpet if deemed needed after so many years. Not your problem

Chris A

Name
Chris
I like helping those that I know, not so much perfect strangers. Perfect strangers tend ta screw ya a lot more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom