xmas tree stain on wool carpet

wired

Woman has 35 year old wool carpet in good condition . She gave the tree to much water and went on carpet and underneath stand for two weeks. When they took the tree out there was a big stain. I was going to clean area with Judson juice extract with water only,dry then use stain magic. Do I have to use a color stabilizer after ? Thanks Steve

John Watson

I would use the J Juice, the J rinse Speed dry and then decide if further steps are needed. I most defenatley would not rinse with just plain water..O2 rinse is a plus in your tool box ..

No need for color stabilizer.. Why would you think that???

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I have had a few severe tree problems & they weren't easy to fix.

If the tree was in a corner I would pull up the carpet & inspect the backing & maybe even replace the pad.

Some people add sugar to the water so find out if anything was added...or if they tried to clean it themselves.

Problems like this might take more then 1 cleaning to fix, so inform them not to expect miracles if the stain is really bad.

Use fans to get it dry after cleaning, using encap products might help & pick up some Stain magic for wool.

leesenter

The two issues I would worry about is good old fashioned browning from the jute backing that is almost for sure there.
Second thing would be did the jute rot and therefore will the carpet fall apart.
I would soak the area with 2:1 mix of vinegar and water then extract with a water claw.
Repeat as necessary.
Maybe a mild reducing agent at the end.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Lee raised a couple of points. Cellullosic browning and rot.

Is there any damage to the fibres? Inspect carefully before you touch it.

Secondly, I'd be doing a couple of tests PRIOR to cleaning the area. If you have a little Hydrogen Peroxide, use it at 6% and apply to the DRY carpet in a small test area and see if it foams and fizzes. IF it does, you're on the way to improving the stain. If it doesn't, rinse with a detergent (alkaline) spotter and reapply.

If successful, do the same for the whole stain. If not, neutralise and try a reducing agent instead. Possibly a good choice here may be Steve's Red Vanish for Wool. or try a sodium metabisulfite product.

Lastly, clean the area with a alkaline detergent that is ok for wool (I don't know JJ so can't advise) but after you have done, mix a little acid rinse at 1:10 and spray over the top, gently groom in and then DRY extract only.

She caused what may be a permanent stain, make sure she understands that and you'll try your best. you may not get 100%, so make sure she understands that as well.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom