Yeah, but was the customer happy and did he make money?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
A while back I was giving you hell about it....now you know it's because I care. lol
I just didn't think it was a pro name and I didn't think it would appeal to the Mrs. either.

I just like the marketing aspect of carpet cleaning and names and brands are a big part of that.
You can't tell me you don't remember be giving the business about it?

Anyway, I kind of stand corrected because you seem to be doing well with it. I wasn't "happy" about your logo either but to each his/her own.

I saw this company the other day.

Fuzzy Wuzzy Carpet Cleaning
And I thought of you...I really did.
Who knows, maybe those types of name work.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
hogjowl said:
Don't be silent about it Ron. I appreciate your remarks and completely understand your thoughts on the subject. I respect you for your commitment to quality cleaning. However, in like manner, don't think bad of me or think I am thinking bad of you when I bring to your attention that your position will limit your growth potential and the market share you will be able to gain.

There has to be a balance between time spent on the job and the amount of money your customer base can afford to spend.

My company motto is "Service sells cleaning." That's not really true. Price sells cleaning in my market, but I am trying to educate my customers away from that thought process.

Amen Porkchop. My market is heavily saturated with the 59.00 for 3 room guys, just ask anyone who lives in the utah/salt lake valleys. I blame it mainly on the jan-san industry here, they want their trucks to run during the day too, to keep their guys busy. Its very hard changing the mindset of people who have had horrible experiences, and low quality of work.

I'm in business to make money, honestly. I will lower the bill to not pre-vac, or cleaning traffic lanes only. I still let my customer know they would be getting a better end result allowing me to do the full detail. In the end, I'm making a difference in the carpet, I am removing soil, and I'm giving the client what they want, and its within their budget. I can say I gave an honest attempt and providing the very service/experience I can. The only time I won't let a customer tell me how to do my job, is when it comes to restoration work. Then I either do it right, or I walk - but thats another topic.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just went through a lot of evaluation over the name and logo Brian, you weren't the only one. You probably remember the new avatar I had for a while. The options I was being given were about as distinctive as a Penguin wearing a tuxedo in a flock of penguins.
Well, Lisa mentioned about having something memorable, distinctive. I've been looking at logos and company names and lettering this whole month. Most logos have nada to do with the name. I look at the busn name and the logo of some busn's and I still can't tell what they do. Mike West taught me that the name should match the logo and since I had the happy face, hence Happy Carpet Cleaners. He also suggested to have a man with a wand, so I put a body on it. It might be old fashioned/70ish, be redundant with the name, but people remember it and I have fun with it and I'm always surprised at how many calls I'll get out of the YP's, though they aren't my clients, they are looking for cheap cleaning. I did get a nice job from a lady that remembered "it was something happy" 8yrs after seeing it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
So the conclusion is you are keeping it the way it is? If it works, don't break it.

If you do decide to change the name, I would just start a new company all together.

Keep happy and all it's glory but get the other company started. Keep them both going until you are sure every one of your customers know it.

I did that when I switched from Service 1 Carpet and Tile Cleaning and worked well. After 2 years, I still get people calling looking for Service 1. Just remember to keep your phone numbers and maybe a small ad somewhere of the old name until you make the switch completly.

One side effect of doing this is it really wakes up the ambition. Get's you motivated.....Ok, everyone..it's like buying a new airpath...does that make sense to you? :roll:
Anyway, just some thoughts. If I was you I would go with something ultra professional and slightly classy yet still appealng to Mrs fancy pants.
That's it, I'm goin to Canada for a weekend at Ronny's. You got room for me? We can work on a whole campain.

Do I make a right or left at Albuquerque??

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Yep, just some tweaks to the font and the tag line.

In the long run if I change the name, I'd just be wasting money. All the money I'd spend marketing the new busn would have been more efficiently spent marketing the existing busn.
I basically wasted $700 having someone do up a design I'll never use. I like "KISS", easier to embroider, cost less for signage, easier to read, more distinction. Then just keep the same thing on everything!

Take a look at all the company names out there and can you see any distinction?
Service 1
Priority
A1
EZ Clean
CanClean
Euroclean
Fibretech
Prestige
Steamatic
Steam King
Stanley Steamer
Coastal Cleaners
Campbell's Carpet Care
Lighthouse Carpet Care
Happy Carpet Cleaners
Bosence Carpet Care
Service Master
RW Carpet Care
Joe the Carpet Cleaner
West Coast Carpet Cleaning
Community Carpet Care
Chem Dry
Citruso
etc

Wouldn't matter what they had for logos, their reputation, word of mouth and marketing is what will make or break them.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I see what you mean. The only one based on emotion is Happy Carpet Cleaning. Which could be a good thing.
If you want to "improve" your name you could call it "ecstatic" Carpet Cleaning or "Shits and Giggles" Carpet Cleaning?
I have an idea
A dog taking dump on the carpet with a laughing little girl next too it and called it ...yup you guessed it
Shits and Giggles Carpet Cleaning.

Sometimes I think I shouldn't always type what I am thinking...the ADHD. sorry

Anyway, again, if it isn't broke don't fix it. But even the nicest cars do well with improvements.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
One small change to your name that can help with search engines is to change from cleaners to cleaning or even add an other service to the name such as upholstery cleaning or tile cleaning.

Much more important than Happy.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave Yoakum said:
One small change to your name that can help with search engines is to change from cleaners to cleaning or even add an other service to the name such as upholstery cleaning or tile cleaning.

Much more important than Happy.

I had heard that having a last name like Carpet and Tile Cleaning isn't as search-able as Carpet Cleaning or just Tile Cleaning.
A very smart IT guy told me that. Still not sure if its true.

I have tried to list my name as Priority Carpet Cleaning and Tile Cleaning but I didn't notice any difference really.
I do know that you are right that Carpet Cleaners does not work as well as Carpet Cleaning. Carpet Care doesn't work as well either for carpet cleaning...you might get more repair jobs but not sure with Carpet Care.
Funny how Search Engines work sometimes.

Carpet Cleaner is good for a key word but it helps to have something like "Carpet Cleaner Roseville" or something like that.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
good points, I was going to go with Cleaning but Cleaners had a better ring to it. Websites weren't as prevalent back then.

Happy might not be as important SEwise, but it sure is searchable/memorable for the human mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom