yellow book yellow pages advertising

KOOSER55

I met with a salesman today and this is basically what I left off with for 760 a month for 11 months I would an ad in the yellow pages that was the size of a 3/4 page no one around here has a full page add so it would put me right up front in the carpet cleaning section so it would cost me 8360 a year for the ad. he is telling me that another company ehre with the smaller ad. has gotten 201 calls in the first 4 months this year total that sounds good to me but im curious on how you all feel about the book itself and about the cost.

And if i let him know before 5pm tomar. i get the first month free thats why i put charged for the 11 months

Becker

Name
Becker
Have him give you those call stats in writing.

He is really giving you the hard sale!

I've done YP int he past, years ago it use to be good, but now the markets I live in get 4 books per year, a lot of my clients say they use the internet to look up business. Only because the lap top, or desk top is right there.

People are really starting to dislike the books.

But, if you are happy with it, pull the trigger, only after you tell him you need the month free, and 25% off per month to meet your ad budget for the year.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
From my years of experience I have learned.

DON"T EVER BELIEVE A YELLOW PAGE SALES PERSON!!!!!

Big difference between 210 calls and jobs.

I get calls all day long from other businesses trying to sell me something.

Since business calls are not applicable for the do not call list. (Likely over 210 per month)

Make sure the ad won't make you go broke in the winter. If it produces little or no work.

A big YP bill ends the career of many carpet cleaners.

It's not as easy as having a YP and getting rich.

Note: Don't fall for the deadline rush they are putting on you. It is a tactic for you to make a rash decision. They are scrambeling for customers now days. You need to maintain control. YP sales have gone into the crapper.

jgasaway

I am new to carpet cleaning, but previously owned a marketing firm. I will tell you that the previous ad is dead on about people using the net now days. The size of the ad is also of minor relevance. They are not going to call you based on the size, but rather the message. Whatever your demographic hit it HARD... i.e. If someone were to ask you what makes you better than anyone else put it in the Ad. Don't let them walk away with a first time deal. The cost to print that page is less than 3 days worth of payments...advertising has a HUGE markup, worse than furniture, jewelry etc. Act as if you spoke with your wife, accountant, whomever and let him know that you just can't stretch your marketing budget that much...make him sweat now-He is on commissions and believes he has a sale, but after the thought of losing it; well money talks...He'll probably try to act as if he has to call a manager for approval to get a discount, but he will do it.

jgasaway

...follow up.. I forgot to mention to try using Angie's List, Service Magic, ValPak, any local coupon sites, and other net based firms. I have found that service businesses will prosper (profit) more from net based searches. I used to use the phone book to solicit my own clients, so do expect many sales calls!

Make sure you advertise water damage in the carpet section.
Many customers look in the carpet cleaning section when they have get a flood. Cater to that. 1 or 2 good flood jobs will pay for the ad. IMO

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
That is a good point.

Yellow pages can be good for emergency services.
If your car breaks down, house floods, towing, garage door breaks, computer crashes, dog gets run over.....

Residential carpet cleaning. Not so much!!

The internet, talking to friends, neighbors and co-workers is where prospects go to find carpet cleaners.

Do you use a phone book any more?

Walt

The only people who use a phone book are people who don't own or know how to use a computer. If you want to target this demographic then you should do it.

Personally, I would roll the 8 grand into some other type of marketing. For Eight grand you could hire a sales person for several months and target commercial accounts. Or build a kick butt website.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have a 1/2 page in another town since november. I have had 6 calls and 2 small jobs. Never Never trust the yp sales people. Bni has made me thousands on a few hundred dollar investment. It will take a little time for people to get to know you before you see some work it it will pay for itself.
We had a vistor 2 weeks ago talked with her and she asked me to come and take a look at some stuff. $900. est and booked it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm getting back into the yellow books around here for small ads because they are just about giving them away.
Att actually gave me a dollar bill ad for "free" because I spend money with them on the internet...what the hell...one customer from it and that's like a million% ROI. :lol:

The other one I got into because they are a little lower end and if you want on their internet site, you have to get an ad in their book.
Cheap really so I think it will work.

If you look at it, both book ads are "Free"..or included in your internet price.

When they hit, I will post the results in the Marketing room.

Because you should really visit that room every once in a while you friggen dirtbags.
:wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom