You guys are KILLING ME!

Name
Evets
No matter how much equipment I buy, I'm always one more piece from being up to par. CRB. Zipper wand. Devastator wand. WTH?

Customer: How much do you charge for 2 rooms?
Me: $483 ma'am.
Customer: Why so much?
Me: Because I have $258,000 invested in equipment, and, with all the steps I use it's going to take 4 hours to clean 2 rooms.
Customer: Why do you need so much equipment?
Me: Mikeysboard.

Remember when we felt fortunate to have an S bend wand (no glide) and a decent Upholstery tool?

Name
Matt Ross
I know what you mean. Peer pressure... but I think it's funny how much carpet cleaners complain about equipment cost and maintenance. I used to have an small excavation buisness. To make $90+ an hour at that takes roughly double the overhead. First you need a contractor's liscence. Which is expensive. Then you need Insurance that is much more than carpet cleaners insurance. Then you need a $30-70k truck. Then you need $30-200k in equipment. All that equipment uses exponentially more fuel than a truckmount, and requires way, way more maintenance. And in the end there is huge liability, less steady work, less repeat customers, more influence of the weather and economy...
I could go on and on but carpet cleaning is amazingly cheap as a buisness, even though most owner operators dont understand that.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They key is buy what helps you be productive.

That's not always what's popular or flashy. It can be but just watch the hype and try it before you purchase if you're able to.

Ask yourself, Is it going to make your job easier, cleaner or faster? If not, is it really worth the investment?

Last edited:

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
No matter how much equipment I buy, I'm always one more piece from being up to par. CRB. Zipper wand. Devastator wand. WTH?

Customer: How much do you charge for 2 rooms?
Me: $483 ma'am.
Customer: Why so much?
Me: Because I have $258,000 invested in equipment, and, with all the steps I use it's going to take 4 hours to clean 2 rooms.
Customer: Why do you need so much equipment?
Me: Mikeysboard.

Remember when we felt fortunate to have an S bend wand (no glide) and a decent Upholstery tool?

I prefer to operate with the simplicity of a Tibetan monk. No doodads and gadgets here. Just the basic stuff for sucking dirt out of carpet and furniture. When you stand beside my van you can feel the fung shui flow.

48F344BF-F434-43CB-8DE9-B848DF39AFA7.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom