You have the power

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
All the misconceptions customers have about carpet cleaning. Half the retailers and carpet installers around here are still telling people that hwe is bad for your carpet. Thanks IICRC and CRI. You guys are doing a wonderful job of spreading the word.

G

like one lady that came up to me while i was getting gas . how do you clean what is your method i said hwe, and she said are you crazy that will cause mold???????????????????????? who told her that the carpet store salesman 5 years earlier and now i do all the cleaning for that store, i would do public hangings of all carpet sales man

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Raise the standards....

Make each and every person that pushes a wand require to be licensed...and maintain strict standards with in the industry...Not just a owner to require a license and then have people work under him..but everyone who is involved...

IMO this would be a win/win for everyone....It would weed out the low balers and the people who give us a bad name and at the same time it would give the public a better perspective of us and our industry...........

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jim Martin said:
Raise the standards....

Make each and every person that pushes a wand require to be licensed...and maintain strict standards with in the industry...Not just a owner to require a license and then have people work under him..but everyone who is involved...

IMO this would be a win/win for everyone....It would weed out the low balers and the people who give us a bad name and at the same time it would give the public a better perspective of us and our industry...........

HOLY MACKEREL ANDY :shock: :shock:

I generally agree with you more often than not, Jim
But I sure don't like that idea.

first, it wouldn't weed out the low ballers, nor shoddy workmanship.
No more than the SOA or IICRC has weeded out the low ballers and shoddy workmanship among those who belong to that group

second, why the heck we would we want MORE gov regulation?

it's just "cleaning", man, not electrical , or HVAC, or general contracting.
It will never be seen as a "tradesmen" type job regardless of regs

.................................................................................

to the question..

If i had the magic wand, i'd wave it to make all see the value of regular and often "professional" CCing
I think I've read stats that suggest it's a vast minority that actually have their carpets professionally cleaned.
Something like only 20% use pros, if i recall right

..L.T.A.

G

Ditto,you know how many "bad" contractors we have around here alone.The only thing that will change it is something you cannot fix,pride of workmanship.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I would make it a requirement that everyone understands what the words...

"BRAND NEW".....means!

Larry saw my machine......i even showed him INSIDE the blower...HEY LARRY...

was that machine...."brand new" or NOT?

The Preacher

that cleaners would have the craftsmanship of that guy Norm, on the show "New Yankee Workshop"

detail cleaning would be the norm raither than the exception!!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
with the hacks gone, people might not be able to truely value a good job after all without heaven there woulod be no hell. besides most of the hacks custys woulo use a differnt cleaner to save 5 bucks. I wan my custys to be loyal and pay for qualiy :D
Jay DeLaughter said:
Get ride of hack cleaners with low ball, bait and switch pricing. :mrgreen:

steve r

make the job so hard no one else in their right mind would do it.then id be the only guy cleaning carpets cause i aint in the right mind.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mikey P said:
To change one thing in this industry over night.. (given to you by Jimmy the Magical Martian)

What would it be?

All solutions are not able to harm Carpet, Health or other.

Completely safe solutions.

(edit)
Oh, but the ones that work still work.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I would have the mills tag everything on the proper cleaning method with instructions on what certs the cleaner should have

Chris A

Name
Chris
Matt Murdock said:
I would have the mills tag everything on the proper cleaning method with instructions on what certs the cleaner should have

and you think the average consumer would GAS?

Rex Tyus

I would have the liability insurance companies recognize the importance of education and HEAVILY discount trained companies and discourage untrained with higher premiums.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
meAt said:
Jim Martin said:
Raise the standards....

HOLY MACKEREL ANDY :shock: :shock:

I generally agree with you more often than not, Jim
But I sure don't like that idea.

first, it wouldn't weed out the low ballers, nor shoddy workmanship.
No more than the SOA or IICRC has weeded out the low ballers and shoddy workmanship among those who belong to that group

second, why the heck we would we want MORE gov regulation?

it's just "cleaning", man, not electrical , or HVAC, or general contracting.
It will never be seen as a "tradesmen" type job regardless of regs

.................................................................................

to the question..

If i had the magic wand, i'd wave it to make all see the value of regular and often "professional" CCing
I think I've read stats that suggest it's a vast minority that actually have their carpets professionally cleaned.
Something like only 20% use pros, if i recall right

..L.T.A.

people should be held accountable for what they do....if no one will raise the standards and hold them accountable..nothing will ever change..true there are a lot of bad contractors out there but there are way less then what we have floating around in our industry.... also true this in not HVAC .. plumbing ...or even electrical...and unlike them.. at the same time there are no standards..just guide lines that are not reinforced at any level....when the industry stops treating us like janitors and we raise the standards to a much higher level..then and only then will the public start looking upon us as professionals and not just one level above a taxi driver........

Rex Tyus

I forgot to mention my support for your idea Jim. I have said the same thing many times. We need enforcable standards. This is one of the few things I disagree with Larry C on.

An untrained operator has the potential to cause a great many health risk from exhaust poisoning to incorrect mixing of chemicals ie bleach and amonia that could kill. A minimum skill level should be a no brainer.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I have a feeling the only reason a lot of us get very high hourly rates is because of no regulation. The shitbags force folks to search out better providers.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Make the certifying bodies provide the option of having online classes for ALL of their CEC credits
wrong I would require more hands on training and less book training. I am a perfect example of having all the certs and not knowing what the hell he is doing with them

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Matt Murdock said:
Make the certifying bodies provide the option of having online classes for ALL of their CEC credits
wrong I would require more hands on training and less book training. I am a perfect example of having all the certs and not knowing what the hell he is doing with them

very true...once again..no standards...you sit in class....they tell you all the answers ( plus they are in the back of the book)...they give you your certification...(and the important part)...they collect all your money and kick you out there not knowing anymore then when you first walked in....My god ....a 10 year old passed these test..and has more badges then a well decorated cub scott and knows no more then any of us........

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
so lemmie ask, Jim and Rex..

you want the gob'mint to write the standards and regs?

I've heard of some gov regs for gov buildings put on cleaners in other states (NJ maybe?) that require COLD water extraction and mandate the COLD water chems used

you "really" want the gov involved setting standards of what's acceptable ?? :roll: :roll:

I'm curious if youinz support SOA?
it's the closest thing attempted to what you're asking for
Only it will be WORSE.
nothing more than new fees/taxes and regs from a gov agency

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
meAt said:

I've heard of some gov regs for gov buildings put on cleaners in other states (NJ maybe?) that require COLD water extraction and mandate the COLD water chems used

you "really" want the gov involved setting standards of what's acceptable ?? :roll: :roll:

Only it will be WORSE.

..L.T.A.

every person that is a beautician that cuts your hair is/and has to be licensed threw there state that they work in...If they do not meet certain standards and requirements..update there testing on a regular schedule and maintain these standards then they will lose the licenses and there ability to continue to cut hair... if they fail to meet these standards and/or get customer complaints to the state then again.. they will lose the ability to keep there licenses......we should be no different...

G

Jim Martin said:
meAt said:

Only it will be WORSE.

..L.T.A.

every person that is a beautician that cuts your hair is/and has to be licensed threw there state that they work in...If they do not meet certain standards and requirements..update there testing on a regular schedule and maintain these standards then they will lose the licenses and there ability to continue to cut hair... if they fail to meet these standards and/or get customer complaints to the state then again.. they will lose the ability to keep there licenses......we should be no different...

Bad example Jim,I had to many shitty haircuts,which only strenthens what Larry is saying,the regulations will not change shitty work.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Kevin P said:
[quote="Jim Martin":1qs9zxvm]
meAt said:

Only it will be WORSE.

..L.T.A.

Bad example Jim,I had to many shitty haircuts,which only strenthens what Larry is saying,the regulations will not change shitty work.[/quote:1qs9zxvm]

nothing is fool prof and 100%....I have had a few bad cuts myself ......lets not think that this is going to make our industry a perfect world.....even a profession that has national codes is far from perfect..but ...to raise the standards and gain control over them is a step in the right direction IMO......

Kinda like traffic laws...some will push it and break them and get away....for awhile...but most will abide and follow the laws that are written..

Rex Tyus

meAt said:

Only it will be WORSE.

..L.T.A.

Maybe we should start a Cleaners BAR association. You know we could self regulate like the lawyers and Accountants do with the FULL PUNITIVE authority of the state. :mrgreen:

I don't pretend a liscense would make things perfect. But I see nothing wrong with enforcable standards. It would reduce the constant flow of start ups that are like a boat anchor on the whole process.

As for SOA, I don't suppport it adds more confusion than it clarifies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom