Your cc info was stolen - sorry

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Un-named supplier contacts me while on Vacation last Friday.

"We are sorry to inform you, our servers were hacked, and your credit card and personal info was breached. We are very sorry."

Anyone else get the call?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It will only be an issue if something actually happens with one of your accounts.

Now if someone actually does something with your account it is a pain in the ass and a great amount of time dealing with something that you did not bring upon yourself and that is very frustrating.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Many credit card merchant agreements forbid the storage of credit card numbers. In several States it is actually illegal.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
quickbook enterprise has a secure credit card encryption now. Before we put the numbers in so odd if we did get hacked you had to know what you was looking for and then what you was looking. We never saved them under credit card. As Shawn said our merchant agreement makes agree to use encryption programs our we could be held liable. It is funny but I have had my card hacked. My capital one on Christmas morning knew immediately with text alerts and then my new discover card I had only used twice online at the same place I used my cabelas visa a lot . Someone in Detroit actually used a card with my number to walk into a Microsoft store and spend nearly 2k. They don't need to hack anymore. The girl on the phone said they have taken to making cards by the thousands and going out and seeing which ones will work. If they don't they just get declined and they move to the next store. Not sure how they are figuring out the string of numbers but I'm guessing they aren't as random as we are lead to believe.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
It's a visa/debit tapped right into my main biz account. IF something were to happen - it takes weeks to get the funds back, getting cleaned out and telling a half dozen customers we can't order materials to finish their rebuild for a few weeks would lose us the jobs and I have a lot going on right now.

My gripe is I have the card on file with about 4 dozen vendors - I'm going to kill an in house staffers day dealing with changing card info plus my time in person at the bank yada yada.

A discount or a gift card would have been a bit better than sorry - especially given the depths of their pockets.

I'm requesting short net terms - they can't oblige - I won't do biz with them. They won't be getting my cc info again.

If CC companies wanted to stamp out cc fruad they could do so almost totally with one stroke - mandate vendors ship to billing addresses only.

CC companies make too much $ off fraud - so it'll continue.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I hate credit cards but you should never use a debit card online or out of state. Use an actual credit card with text alerts for all charges over 300 the minimum for most. As I stated there really is no 100% assurance your not going to have your info stolen. We get at least 1 fraudulent charge for an infra red camera a month. We got burned once my fault 100% for not catching it. Why thy are only trying to but infra red cameras leaves one wondering I have my opinions and the FBI agent thought it made as much sense as any but they rely don't care. We have addresses to ship to all we have to do is send a signature required empty box and when they sign for it arrest them. Sent by mail it is a frederal crime but since it is pennies to them no one cares. The only person who actually loses is the buisness that sent he items. The card company doesn't lose the card holder doesn't lose only the buisness that got taken. So getting mad at the company that got hacked is unfair. When the state department can get hacked do you think a carpet cleaning supplier can really honestly stop a real hacker/thief? Nope we can make it difficult but unless you unplug everyone is at risk you just minimize it the best you can.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
My first biz was an online exclusive pro audio company. I had 20 (minimum) fraudulent purchase attempts daily - and my site was hacked several times, however my customer files, all 50-60k of them, were kept offline.

I'd be more than willing to bet there was an open door walked through however - that could have easily been prevented.

I was in Vegas as well "on business" and left my other cards at home - so I'm excessively peeved I suppose.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Had a text yesterday asking if we clean rugs on or offsite and do we accept CC over the phone. The CC over the phone is what drew attention.

Past job I dealt with this many times, if one won't work they will ask you to run another and another and another, DON'T DO IT!!! They are trying to find one that works.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
I got the same call and I don't mind saying who it was JON DON........pisses me off. We've had charges made to our cards in the past and it is a pain in the ass to rectify. We've also had checks printed and used with our account #'s and info on them. Recently had $300 worth of baby formula charged to my card. They sad part is the manufacturer of the baby food who it was purchased through had the email and IP of the person, but wouldn't release it! The process for getting law enforcement involved to attempt to catch the scumbag was way too involved to worry about for $300. We did get our money back though.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Had a text yesterday asking if we clean rugs on or offsite and do we accept CC over the phone. The CC over the phone is what drew attention.

Past job I dealt with this many times, if one won't work they will ask you to run another and another and another, DON'T DO IT!!! They are trying to find one that works.
don you think it's time to get back to work now..........:icon_rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom