Zipper Question Of The Day...Mark, Eric, Ashley, Mikey and Others...

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
For those currently using the Zipper, here's a couple questions:

1) Are you releasing the valve at the end of each pass? Or do you just leave it open and keep the head moving?

2) How is the Zipper on carpet tiles, especially the tiles with rows or ribs in them? I get both level tiles and tiles with raised rows in them.

3) Has anyone used it on water extraction? I use the Water Claw on extractions, but still wand off the top of the carpet after clawing.

There's the QOTD. I have too many "latest and greatest" tools in the shop that I use for coat hangers. I don't want another glorified coat hanger in the shop....at nearly $2000. And no, I don't want an SX15.....solely for the spinning jets it employs.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

1) Are you releasing the valve at the end of each pass? Or do you just leave it open and keep the head moving?

2) How is the Zipper on carpet tiles, especially the tiles with rows or ribs in them? I get both level tiles and tiles with raised rows in them.

3) Has anyone used it on water extraction? I use the Water Claw on extractions, but still wand off the top of the carpet after clawing.

There's the QOTD. I have too many "latest and greatest" tools in the shop that I use for coat hangers. I don't want another glorified coat hanger in the shop....at nearly $2000. And no, I don't want an SX15.....solely for the spinning jets it employs.

I will release the valve at the end of the passes sometimes and sometimes will just keep it pinned wide open like a rotary.

So far on carpet tiles I have had no problems. I haven't come across the ribbed style yet, but I have been using it on some sculpted berbers a couple times this past week. It does well, but you can get some chatter in certain directions. I do like how it cleans and it just seems to be able to pull some more water out over the Titanium wand. For the chatter, I just change directions if I can, or just slow down a bit more. I also could have added the weight back on the top if I had a lot more to clean, but was just quicker to slow down today.

For water extraction, have only used it to extract off the top if it has a pad. For glue down...It is great! You would still have to water claw if I is carpet on pad in my opinion.

I am pretty sure Eric would take it back if you did not like it and I know what you mean about buying all the latest and greatest and then not really using them, so these are great questions.

For me, it came down to would it be a useful tool on some of my past problem cleaning situations and I so far has been.

If you have more questions, I will really do my best to try and answer them very straight forward as I can.

I waited 2 years before pulling the trigger and buying the unit, then for my cleaning needs....I needed 2.

Today's cleaning job on an empty with that sculpted Berber.

2014-10-26115308_zps64a9faea.jpg

Name
Nate W.
I have the zipper jr and it does a good job on carpet tiles... I haven't run into ribbed carpet tiles though... We do cimex the carpet prior to extracting to make it easier... I also use mine for extracting pit washed rugs... I do know that it extracts better than my PC TI wand... I never do take off the weights on the head, some guys just need to man up.... :stir: I use my RV360i for residential...

I bought the zipper used from Ashley M. years ago when you couldn't buy them and it had 02 jets on it... I bought new 02 jets when I got it... I recently switched to 03 jets to see if they're was any difference from 02's... With the 02 jets on it, the waste water from the restaurant jobs is kind of like chocolate milk... With 03 jets, it was a lot more liquidly, but seemed to clean faster... And that was with hot tap water going into a #3 lg heater maintaining 180 degrees with my lie detector... I do believe if I have higher heat, it will clean faster for me... It also has very good recovery with my 20hp, 45 blower, 500psi, 150' of 2.5" hose to 25' 2" whip...

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
On sculptured looped carpets, the 2 hole glides will run the smoothest. You can add the weight for better dry times. You won't feel the extra weight using the two hole glides. As the slot glides begin to wear, you won't get as much chatter on certain carpets.

This is a non-sculptured berber carpet, using a slot glide in the front port.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller

No I don't release the valve. I clean anything from a huge square to the entire room and then dry vac. Sometimes I clean into the room and then dry vac out.

Works fine but I've never used it on ribbed

Yes it works great on carpet extraction. I don't have a claw

Best investment in a tool ever. I just ordered another from Eric. It comes tomorrow. The big boy
The wand is collecting dust

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
If we Zig zag like a wand, we let go of the valve a split second before we reach the beginning and end of the pass.

With both hole glides, I rarely break out the water claw, Ive even had my 220lbs tech stand on the zipper as I pull it... man does that get the pad extracted LOL

While I clean over 70k/month of commercial carpet tiles, cant say ive run into carpet tiles with ribs,
I have cleaned quite of a bit of sculped Berber with them... This photo is from years ago, before I had a big truck, It cleaned up great with one pass and was dry a few hours after we left.
267552_1824599577168_6418077_n_zps6d137db8.jpg

Name
Marcus
1. I use it full throttle on commercial w trigger locked....homes mostly locked trigger few dry strokes...
Depends on blower and engine power
2. Don't use it on tile it will ruin the glides on the grout lines
3. Should work great for water extraction and faster thana water claw

Name
Ron lippold
Wfo. If you have chatter just drop the height and problem solved. I have had a few that I just wanded in a different direction. Or slow down. Love my 24 flow, amazing how much hair it pulls up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom