17" of vacuum

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Do you run a glide? I would bet it would only run 16 or so with a wand on it. I don't think 16HG would hurt it. I talked to a guy that runs 2 12volt fans on the blower to keep it a little cooler. Keeping the blower cool is what the real issue is.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
17" would be with the vac port plugged pre heating the blower to get the water temp up during warm up

I think it pulls 15" with the hybrid glided TI wand on residential carpet but would have to check

Greenie

How long do you "preheat" in this condition?

Heat is the name of the game. An advanced truckmount would have a temp gage on the blower exhaust.

Blowers are tough, 17"hg wouldn't scare me, but it is all about managing the heat generated, but I believe ALL blowers with blower heat exchangers run hotter than the same blower with no HX.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie;

As one manufacturer who has measured temperatures of blower exhausts, I agree with the need to check them.

However, this statement is NOT TRUE:

but I believe ALL blowers with blower heat exchangers run hotter than the same blower with no HX.

Both HX's and Silencers add restriction to the vacuum system. The amount is dependent on the actual flow capability & design.

Without knowledge of the entire system, no one should be recommending the vac levels to operate at.

BlueLine should be consulted.

Larry Cobb

G

I disagree with greenie. I don't think it is needed. just like a rebuild or replace a blower is needed when belts are being eaten. Ya need to evaluate the situation. A temp gage to the blower is a waste of money. Sure it would be nice but how many blowers has one replaced in the time you have cleaned carpets? Myself 1 time but I put a blower on my machine that was 15 years old and already had bearing issues. The blower went 2 years before breaking. All my other blowers have never gone bad.

Greenie

Larry, this quote here only supports my theory "Both HX's and Silencers add restriction to the vacuum system."

Restriction = back pressure = heat

The rest is just personal opinion.

also the biggest factor to the original question is, what percentage of the time is the blower actually running at 17hg. i can block the vac hose with my hand and getter up to 19. my machine regularly runs 14-15 and sometimes 16-17. in the real world 17hg would not be reached for long periods if at all. i would also be more concerned with belts and shaft bearings

Matt King

They're set at 14hg from the factory. 16hg shouldn't be a problem as it rarely reaches that point anyway. Especially if you're using a glide as it doesn't lock down. However, ASK Blueline first. When you're hovering around that 'max' lift setting (16hg) the biggest issue is your belts. Your blower is spinning at 2400rpm which will help. However, when you get into the higher speeds and higher lift settings belts can be a chore to keep locked down. Then what guys do is tighten them, then tighten them some more until the problem goes away. Except with a few months, maybe even a year they have a whole new problem. The load bearing inside the blower is out of round and shot. The blower will lock up or start knocking. Keep it greased well. If you cook the grease it will run out the weep hole and you'll have no protection. One nice thing about a Sutorbilt Legend is you can change the load bearing fairly quickly without removing the end plate with a little ingenuity. Just keep that sideload down on the bearing by going easy with the belt system.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
my vacuum was poor one day and I couldn't figure out why at the moment so I adjusted the vacuum break

then I seen that that the dump valve was still open so I closed it and the vacuum went to 17"

machine had a lot better heat recovery, higher heat and stronger vacuum at 17" but I have since turned it back down to 15"

just one of those dumb moments, I will leave it where it is now but was just curious if it would hurt the blower if I left it where it was

Thanks guys

KBRENNY

I have been running 17" for a very long time. I have over 2500 hours since I went up to 17 and have had no problems with heat, seals, or any other blower problems. I have a Cobb TM and I agree with Larry, I would make this decision depending on the specific system.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
If this were an automotive message board, the equivalent question would be:

8000 RPM. will it hurt the engine on my mustang?

Just like a rev limiter on a engine, the vac relief valve setting on a Truckmount serves a purpose. The setting is the maximum allowed to preserve the longevity of the components. The TM manufacturer in cooperation with the blower manufacturer sets a limit for a reason.

Absolutely you will find users who obviate the setting and find that they have no problems. Good for them. They indeed may have conditions and fortune on their side when the mean time between failure shines on their shoulder.

However, I think in most cases raising the setting is less productive than looking for CFM losses and "patching" them first. Often a spring loaded relief valve is wasting a tremendous amount of vacuum efficiency by opening partially at lift levels normal to cleaning. By setting the stock valve higher, you are attempting to shut down these losses, but at a detriment to safety of the components.

Try a relief valve valve type, like a Bayco or a Kunkle, set at the safe stock setting, and I think you will reap all the benefits you are looking for, without delving into higher lift settings which are beyond the established redline.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
KBrenny;

The Dynachem TM has a Sutorbilti blower designed for 16" continuous and 17" intermittant.

It has a low restriction silencer & HX on the outlet side of the blower.

Larry Cobb

G

Shawn I have to disagree, the kunkle and bayco are no better than a relief valve you described. They are intermittent. Pos if you ask me and way overpriced. The cleaner can and find less expensive alternatives that work better.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
it is now set at 14" and pulls 13.5" with the wand to the floor, works just fine

the valve on my 450 MAXX stuck today and was pulling 24", I couldn't move the wand on a back stroke on the commercial carpet

Matt King

Nick, why don't you like those valves? Is it a specific attribute or just the cost? A kunkle made my 36 Sizzler scream...

i have to agree with Nick, those valves are just one more potential problem to service later. free flow is the only way to go. i would only think of using the bayco if i had a blower bigger than a 47, even then i wouldnt.

Matt King

What is 'Free Flow'? I've watched that come up in a few posts but have never seen what it is Specifically... 1) A blower inlet pulls air. 2) It can only pull so hard before internal damage could occur. 3) At that pre determined point by the manufacturer, there needs to be a protection device. 4) Logic would suggest that for our application, an air leak before that point isn't preferable as we like our 'relief' at the end of a hose. What am I missing? If the motor, drivetrain etc.. can't handle the extra vacuum load that's one thing. However, let's say all is a go... Then what is the problem? I'm talking mechanical specifics.

G

Matt , they are over priced. Lets say you set the HG at 16 atm and the Kunkle /Bayco vac relief only opens at 16. What HG are you getting at the wand? With a glide and without a glide?

Larry don't answer this please.

Matt King

Are you asking me to go out and test it? Beyond that, what's a couple hundred bucks if it works?

Matt King

I'll add, I have no vested interest in Kunkle's, Bayco's or anything else. I don't sell them nor am I going to. And I'm not in any way trying to be critical of anyone here, I'm just trying to understand the thought process of those opposed is all..

Rex Tyus

I'm just trying to understand the thought process of those opposed is all..

I don't understand the opposition myself, but it reads like Nick and Larry are trying to discredit Greenie. I could be wrong but that is how it looks to me. Even though Larry sells them.

G

Rex guys thats where we were all mistaken . My machine is plumbed on a 47 blower 3 in from the blower with about 6 to 10 inches to the waste tank.to the silencer 3 inch out .

100 feet of vacuum hose to a 1.5 inch wand with out glide to the carpet between 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on the angle of the wand on the stroke.

100 feet of vacuum hose to 1.5 inch wand with glide to the carpet 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on angle of wand on the stroke.

100 feet of vacuum hose 2 inch wand with out glide to the carpet 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on angle of wand on the stroke

100 feet of vacuum hose 2 inch wand with out glide to the carpet 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on angle of wand on the stroke.

I found that using Cobbs relief valve,My free flow and one of greenies kunkles , they all had the same results. I also used a green glide for my testing. I know it was amazing but thats what it was.

I also found it did not matter how it was plumbed ya got the same results.

Rex Tyus

Are you saying that a 47 blower with 2" plumbing to the waste tank yielded the same results at the wand as your 47 with 3" plumbing?

Matt King

Why bother with 3 inch plumbing or 2 inch for that matter? Why would a Kunkle or Bayco Add additional load to the engine if it weren't forcing the blower to pull more air through a restrictive hose instead of sucking it in easily right there at the relief? I'm sure you can get the lift to rise to a certain point but where's the cfm?

Rex Tyus

Why bother with 3 inch plumbing or 2 inch for that matter?

I am thinking one would need to connect the blower intake to the waste tank somehow :? I am a proponent of matching the plumbing to the intake size of whatever blower you have.

Rex Tyus

Rex guys thats where we were all mistaken . My machine is plumbed on a 47 blower 3 in from the blower with about 6 to 10 inches to the waste tank.to the silencer 3 inch out .

100 feet of vacuum hose to a 1.5 inch wand with out glide to the carpet between 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on the angle of the wand on the stroke.

100 feet of vacuum hose to 1.5 inch wand with glide to the carpet 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on angle of wand on the stroke.

100 feet of vacuum hose 2 inch wand with out glide to the carpet 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on angle of wand on the stroke

100 feet of vacuum hose 2 inch wand with out glide to the carpet 6 to 8 hg at the carpet depending on angle of wand on the stroke.

I found that using Cobbs relief valve,My free flow and one of greenies kunkles , they all had the same results. I also used a green glide for my testing. I know it was amazing but thats what it was.

Nick I reread your post and now I understand.

You need a new vac gauge. :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom