2.5 hose, going back

I have run 2.5 hose with my butler for a long time. It is too hard to roll up this hose on the small electric reel. Made the decision to go back in time. Went back to 2 inch hose straight to the greenhorn. Did cut my flow back to 10, from 15(5 o3 jets). It seems to not make as much of a difference as I would of thought. Did by a vac qauge to measure performance from windtrax, but it maxed it out as soon as I put it on the 2 inch vac cuff. Most of my runs are less then 150. The butler truckmount is not user friendly with 2.5 for me and my tech. Its all about the reel. Anybody else going back! Ron

americlean

The 2.5 will fit on the butler real, you just have to roll it tight. I have not put a gauge on it but I believe there is enough benefeit to the the 2.5 to make it worth the extra minute it takes to roll it tight.

Just my opinion...to each his own!

Butler needs to address this issue.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I have a Butler and keep 75' of 2 1/2" vacuum hose on the reel. The larger hose is a pain in the a$$, no doubt about it! However I believe the increase in performance out weighs the inconvenience, at least for me.

Mike Draper

Extend your hose reel and take the junky electric reel motor off.

ButlerVan002.jpg

ButlerVan009.jpg

extended 10 or 11" I believe.

I can hold 125' of 2.5" on the reel now. And 100' of 2". However, I usually don't run more than a 25' whip of 2".

R

R W

Well, Ron.....I see you clean in the same weather that I do, so them 2 1/2"'s are a bit stiff. But I still run the first 50 from the wand at 2", then the 2 1/2 comes off next from the reel. I think the biggest difference for the Genesis is the new 2 1/2 " smooth flow elbows. Even running just 2", the elbows make a difference. I've got an unknown electric reel, which makes roll up simple. I had to take off one 2" hose to make it all fit.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
B-Man said:
Extend your hose reel and take the junky electric reel motor off.

or better yet get a unit that does not waste more space in a vehicle than all other units in the industry. :lol:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I haven't converted my new van yet, just running 4-door on runs 150 and up. At 100 feet I've got plenty of airflow.

Greenie

ronald pantelas said:
.... Did by a vac qauge to measure performance from windtrax, but it maxed it out as soon as I put it on the 2 inch vac cuff.

Ron is off the Xmas list.
Was buying a lift gauge from windtrax in the GG 101 manual?

I'm giving you shit cause measuring waterlift at the end of a hose tells you nothing....it's all about the airflow, you measure lift as a "rescue point" at the machine buddy.

I fully understand you backsliding and cheating your customer in the winter, you have to do what you have to do, after all comfort is more important than delivering your best.

ps: for the thin skined nambly pambly cleaners...I'm just yankin' Ron's chain.
I fully agree, the Butler reel sucks, there is a reason the rest of the industry uses a full diameter hose reel, not that mini reel.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Greenie, am I gonna lose heat on my Salsa CDS by adding 2.5 (losing lift/blower heat)? My old unit was coolant-only, so no affect.

Greenie

Yes you will lose some blower heat.

But it'll be worth it.

btw: I know some HydraMaster god will argue the point, but you will also be breathing better and have less stress on the clutch and belts since when you run a single factory 2" hose, you are actually sucking through a 1.75" ID plastic barb, (this 2.5 nearly doubles your surface area ID) so the systems runs that much smoother, you could in theory turn the blower faster, or even just increase the engine rpms without increasing clutch load....and if you re-inforce the waste tank with some custom support brackets, you can run a higher lift setting as well.

Spurling

So Ron ... is your vac tank opening 2.5in or did you reduce the 2.5 hose to 2in to waste tank?

Greenie

Those 47 class butlers have 3" elbows on the waste tank, and Butler uses a bushing to reduce them to 2.5", and a 2.5" plastic combo nipple (barb) for hooking up the 2.5 hose.

Recently we made a more streamlined 2.5" thin walled combo nipple, I think I will use this in the future to replace ALL plastic 2.5" pieces.

pic:

DSC02874.jpg

also the 2.5 dual elbow for the old vortex

25ELdbl.jpg

R

R W

Those are some really cool inlets, built well, and install easily. The Genesis elbows are simular, if not the same. They contribute most of the improvement on the Genesis air flow, in addition to the 2.5 hose. If you want to use just 2" hose, the cuffs slide right into the elbows.

TimP

I think I'm gonna want 2 of those 2.5 nipples in a while.....I just hate to know how much they cost though. Not saying they aren't worth it or anything.

I had 2.5 all the way to waste tank no reducing needed to get into my filter box. My butler is plumbed with large hose(no restrictions). Bought the plumbing parts from Herrington Plastic. I ran 85 feet of 2.5(that amount fit on my electric reel), then I would hook up 50 foot sections of 2 inch. The butler with a 47 is good enough right out of the box. No improvements needed. Just loose the 1.5 whip they send with the truck, and get a greenhorn. Did both restaurant cleaning and residential with the 2 inch. Don't think I will go back to 2.5 in the butler. Remember its not the truck, its the cleaner. For me at 52 years, its all about comfort. I am back to the live reel( which I do pull completely off each job) the reel holds 150 feet of 2 inch. What I found out is that if you only have short runs, 2.5 is not worth the trouble. I have the 210 gallon waste tank and a small electric reel that didn't have the power to pull up 2.5 hose. Anyway I love my truck, butler corporation is first rate. I know why they design there unit like they do. Merry Christmas

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hey Ron,

I just re-did my butler hose real because it was difficult to reel up. I previously had 50 ft of 2 inch on the reel to start, then went with 50 ft of 2.5 connected to 50 ft of 2 inch. After 1 full year of carrying around this config, it realized that I never took off the 50 ft section of 2 inch. I always went to the back of the van and grabbed my 25 ft of 2 inch if I needed more typically.

Just this week, I now have 20 feet of 2 inch on the butler reel, then I go to my 50 ft 2.5 and 50 ft of 2 inch. I also just as of 2 days have been running cool cuffs to try out. So far, the reel will pull it in better and there is no jambing up against the tank.

I have been running this for a couple of days now in the real cold temps. I really believe that the 2.5 inch helps too much to give up on it.

Call or email or pm if you need more info.

Mark

Able 1

Name
Keith
I would never go back, 2.5 has been my best investment this year! My TM only has a 25 horse but you wouldn't know that at the wand...

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Ron, I was a Butler customer for 25 years and probably was involved in the purchase of at least 13 brand new Butler units. In 2006 I had Butler custom build me a GMC cube truck with custom shelving, 200 gallon waste tank, and 200 gallon fresh water tank. The one request that I made was that they would make the hose reel larger. Butler said they would not do that. After the truck was delivered, I took it to the local truck scale to have it weighed and found out that when the clean water tank was half full and the waste tank was empty, the truck was over weight on the front axle. Their response was to tell me to install Timbren ride supports in the front suspension, and one airbag on the drivers side in the back to level the truck as it leaned to the left :roll: . The reason I am telling you this, is that you need to look for a supplier that is more interested in what you need, then what they want to sell you. I called Butler on Monday to order some parts and was told that they would no longer sell me parts because they are mad that I didn't buy their equipment. (Does this sound like 7th grade girls or what!). Last year I ordered a new Vortex and was very pleased with Blueline's interest in customizing our truck to meet my needs. Because they where so helpful, I sold my second Butler and bought another Vortex. We have equipped these trucks with power solution reels and many other improvements. They will be at Pemberton's for Winterfest in January if you would like to see something designed for carpet cleaning by a carpet cleaner.
DSC_0059.jpg

Mark, I thru my swivel coolcuffs for 2.5 away. they kept breaking apart when I would reel the hose up on the small diameter reel. Greenies cuffs worked better for me. And Ron B, I look forward to seeing your trucks at Pemberton's winterfest. It should be a good time. Thanks, Ron

Mike Draper

ronbeatty said:
Ron, I was a Butler customer for 25 years and probably was involved in the purchase of at least 13 brand new Butler units. In 2006 I had Butler custom build me a GMC cube truck with custom shelving, 200 gallon waste tank, and 200 gallon fresh water tank. The one request that I made was that they would make the hose reel larger. Butler said they would not do that. After the truck was delivered, I took it to the local truck scale to have it weighed and found out that when the clean water tank was half full and the waste tank was empty, the truck was over weight on the front axle. Their response was to tell me to install Timbren ride supports in the front suspension, and one airbag on the drivers side in the back to level the truck as it leaned to the left :roll: . The reason I am telling you this, is that you need to look for a supplier that is more interested in what you need, then what they want to sell you. I called Butler on Monday to order some parts and was told that they would no longer sell me parts because they are mad that I didn't buy their equipment. (Does this sound like 7th grade girls or what!). Last year I ordered a new Vortex and was very pleased with Blueline's interest in customizing our truck to meet my needs. Because they where so helpful, I sold my second Butler and bought another Vortex. We have equipped these trucks with power solution reels and many other improvements. They will be at Pemberton's for Winterfest in January if you would like to see something designed for carpet cleaning by a carpet cleaner.
DSC_0059.jpg

I get the same response anytime I have ever called them. Their pos hx went out on me (and yes, it's a pos, I took it apart, very cheaply made) I called and said I would like to buy the Max HX and they told me tough titties, they won't sell me one. They want me to spend $50,000 on a new butler to get that option. I'll be enjoying my new AT or V by next fall.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

I built a 2.5" LIVE reel for a standard Butler. It holds 100' 2.5" and 25' 2" whip. It fits the same place Butler puts the regular reel. I would never do another one, for the money. But after we use the van a bit, I want it to sell the unit.

Thx,
Dale

Chads

Supportive Member
I'm ready for your old 2 1/2 inch hoses whenever your ready to send them to me I'll put them to good use. :D

Greenie

damn nice trucks Ron.

I see the patented Mikey bend restrictor on the lead hose. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom