35% food grade hydrogen peroxide

jesssed

Name
jesse
Can I add this to my rinse to get that pop effect? @ how much would I add to my hydroforce also to get that pop effect?

Name
Steve Lawrence
35% is a very Hazardous & Reactive chemical.

Requires HAZMAT training and procedures.

You need something with less concentration - 12-15%

Somebody needs to tell my local health food store where they sell it to consumers in pints, quarts and gallons--no training required.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Someone needed to teach the Russians of the dangers of Hydrogen Peroxide in their torpedos.---H2O2 leak then explosion took out one of their premier Submarines. All lives lost. around 2001.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Can I add this to my rinse to get that pop effect? @ how much would I add to my hydroforce also to get that pop effect?
You can't run in through your rinse, it will react with the rubber liner. I add 1 cup per gallon to my preapray. You don't need food grade, I buy a 55 gal. Drum from Brentag for 3oo delivered. I can get it from a local supplier for 20 a gallon. It's the real deal not the Sally's stuff , which is really only 12%. Beware it hurts on the hands and dont get it in your eyes.

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I've been using Aquasilk peroxide for a few years. Works great!

It's usually easy to locate and buy at local pool supply stores.

I'm pretty sure 1 gallon comes out at $20.

I haven't checked recently but I remember it being 28% and definitely better/stronger than beauty supply type peroxide.

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I've been using Aquasilk peroxide for a few years. Works great!

It's usually easy to locate and buy at local pool supply stores.

I'm pretty sure 1 gallon comes out at $20.

I haven't checked recently but I remember it being 28% and definitely better/stronger than beauty supply type peroxide.

Same here just a different brand. 27.5% H2o2 which I cut in half with water. Final cost $9 per gallon. And it does burn when you get the diluted mix on your hands so I am really, really careful with the full strength stuff.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Shoot you bought off Amazon to cure cancer. @Larry Cobb people ad a tablespoon to a cup of water and drink it oxygenating thier bodies and will never get cancer! Cough Cough! WHere's that snake oil????? Who knows if it does anything?? If it does people would be lined up around the corner trying it and testifying.

Of ya buy Larrys it's much cheaper then food grade.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
You can't run in through your rinse, it will react with the rubber liner. I add 1 cup per gallon to my preapray. You don't need food grade, I buy a 55 gal. Drum from Brentag for 3oo delivered. I can get it from a local supplier for 20 a gallon. It's the real deal not the Sally's stuff , which is really only 12%. Beware it hurts on the hands and dont get it in your eyes.
Any more info on this?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
There is a reason that we buy proper supplies and don't make our own. The supplies you buy from a proper carpet cleaning supplier have been tested an found to work within the limitations in the instructions in the instructions. When we start playing around with our own concoctions, we open the gates of liability wide open. For example, about 20 yes ago, I used to make my own rust remover. 1 part muriatic acid to 3 parts water. Worked great as long a you rinsed. One day I didn't have any mixed solution with me, so in my profound wisdom, I decided that I would pour pure acid on these 3 little rust stains and immediately rinse with my upholstery tool, which was right there, hooked up and ready to go. I went glug,glug glug with the acid and right before my eyes, before I could even reach for the upholstery tool, there were 3 smoking holes in the carpet. And I mean smoking! To this day that bldg Mgr. Tells other customers about how good I am and follows it up saying" you should see how good he is at getting rust out of carpets.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
There is a reason that we buy proper supplies and don't make our own. The supplies you buy from a proper carpet cleaning supplier have been tested an found to work within the limitations in the instructions in the instructions. When we start playing around with our own concoctions, we open the gates of liability wide open. For example, about 20 yes ago, I used to make my own rust remover. 1 part muriatic acid to 3 parts water. Worked great as long a you rinsed. One day I didn't have any mixed solution with me, so in my profound wisdom, I decided that I would pour pure acid on these 3 little rust stains and immediately rinse with my upholstery tool, which was right there, hooked up and ready to go. I went glug,glug glug with the acid and right before my eyes, before I could even reach for the upholstery tool, there were 3 smoking holes in the carpet. And I mean smoking! To this day that bldg Mgr. Tells other customers about how good I am and follows it up saying" you should see how good he is at getting rust out of carpets.

Ron if your referring to my post i don't consider adding peroxide making my own. a local supplier sells the exact product by the gallon to be added at up to 1 cup per gallon. I save 640 dollars per barrel, which is just product, not my driving time. He is an hour and half away up and back. Peroxide and fels are the only products i buy that aren't straight from my supplier. i tried to get my regular guy to buy it but he wasn't interested. my gallons are all labeled with the correct info. If you weren't referring to me then never mind.

Reactions: Able 1

hogjowl

Idiot™
Ron if your referring to my post i don't consider adding peroxide making my own. a local supplier sells the exact product by the gallon to be added at up to 1 cup per gallon. I save 640 dollars per barrel, which is just product, not my driving time. He is an hour and half away up and back. Peroxide and fels are the only products i buy that aren't straight from my supplier. i tried to get my regular guy to buy it but he wasn't interested. my gallons are all labeled with the correct info. If you weren't referring to me then never mind.
He was referring to you. I think he was saying that you're irresponsible. In fact, he might have even called you stupid.

I wouldn't take that off of anybody dumb enough to burn holes in carpet, if I were you.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
No Gene, I'm referring to the original poster who's carrying around 35% peroxide and adding it to his prespray. As Larry says, it is an extremely hazardous chemical. You really don't that spilling on you. The peroxide we get from our suppliers as part of our 2 part peroxide/ammonia solution (stain magic) is 12% or 40 volume. That is bad enough, if you get it on your skin when you are using it, it will turn your skin white or translucent and you will feel the burn. 35% would be downright dangerous. One thing to remember is that peroxide reacts with other chemicals and produces oxygen gas in the container you mixed it in. It can cause that container to explode if there is no pressure relief. Marty, stop stirring the pot or I'll clean your rust stains.

Tom Forsythe

We only use 25% H2O2 in our production facility. We had to spend thousands of dollars before the fire marshall would allow us to bring 35% in our facility. One reason is that H2O2 35% can create a fire if in contact with wood.
We decided to stay with 25%. We have a H2O2 dedicated pump and any worker handling the peroxide is in a full body suit, face shield, gloves, and boots.
We only use full drum quantities as pouring excess back into the drum can create a reaction.
It makes me nervous thinking about all that could go wrong handling H2O2 25% let alone 35% without the proper procedures in place including a secure, temperature controlled place of storage.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
We only use 25% H2O2 in our production facility. We had to spend thousands of dollars before the fire marshall would allow us to bring 35% in our facility. One reason is that H2O2 35% can create a fire if in contact with wood.
We decided to stay with 25%. We have a H2O2 dedicated pump and any worker handling the peroxide is in a full body suit, face shield, gloves, and boots.
We only use full drum quantities as pouring excess back into the drum can create a reaction.
It makes me nervous thinking about all that could go wrong handling H2O2 25% let alone 35% without the proper procedures in place including a secure, temperature controlled place of storage.

I'm not disputing that care must be taken with any kind of chemical solution, and the 27.5% stuff I buy I am VERY careful with. I'm the only one who dilutes it down. But I do buy it in a pool supply store and I'm not signing any kind of release of responsibility or whatever so I'm thinking it's NOT like the next thing to dynamite. As I said I'm very careful and I know that the diluted stuff certainly burns the skin so I'm positive the full strength stuff is badass shit for getting in eyes/skin/etc. I don't and I wouldn't drive around with the full strength in the van in case of a spill or accident. We are suppose to be professionals and need to be careful with a lot of the chemicals/solutions/equipment we use as permanent injury is certainly always a possibility.

But again, at $9.00 a gallon it's a great deal and it works well.

Tom Forsythe

The pool supply store is foolish as are the building supply stores of the world who sell muratic acid to anybody. It appears you have proper procedures. I hope that everyone who reads this will also have proper safety procedures. I am concerned because this industry is known for using products without reading instructions on the labels. The guy who was just caught in Belgium was planning an event where he planned to use H2O2 as part of their evil concoction. Mixed with the wrong thing it is rocket fuel.

Reactions: J Scott W

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
This whole thing with peroxide and it being a bomb making stuff etc...is getting a little worn..a little tired...

How many other things out there can you make explosives? Yes everyday substances that anyone can buy...

How many people have bottles and bottles of alcohol at their house...molotov cocktail?

Look under the sink...in the garage or basement. Homes are full of stuff, that a halfwit can kill people within minutes.

I'm not saying to do searches on home made bombs if you are afraid of the big brother... But do find out how easy it is to create things.

Peroxide is just one such thing and suppliers/manufacturers tend to be the loudest in the "scare info"...understandably so. Their loss of sales are certainly one reason they're so against us buying "stuff" and make it diluted into what we need.

In my experience around here all the health food stores will sell anyone 35% peroxide and people buy it no problem.

Tom Forsythe

I am a chemist and not a salesperson. The cavalier attitude toward 35% H2O2 is dangerous. Maybe there is a misunderstanding between 35% H2O2 and 35% volume H2O2. http://www.hairfinder.com/hair4/peroxide-volume-conversion.htm 35% volume is only 10.6% H2O2. Most of what is sold at Sally's beauty supply is sold as volume and not as percentage. If this is the case then whenever you post a percentage of H2O2 make sure you list as volume so that those of us who know what 35% H2O2 really is do not go into shock. We had a gallon of Peroxicap blow up in the back of someone's hot van and it is about 8% H2O2 or 26% volume H2O2.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I've already told one embarassing story, I might as well fess up to another one. I did a job involving mixing up a product called eliminate. Same as stain magic or eliminate or many others. Ammonia/peroxide product, spray on and walk away. I put my gear in the van and am driving down a main shopping street in Vancouver BC with my windows down, enjoying the sunshine, all the pretty girls out on the sidewalk, when KABOOM, a loud explosion happens right close to me. I pull over and get out and realize that everybody is staring at me. I'm looking to see if I've blown a tire or something and just can't see any thing wrong. I open the door and every thing is wet and dripping. The 2 quart sprayer that I used for the job had blown up. The peroxide solution kept building oxygen until it finally burst. That was with 10-12 percent peroxide, can you imagine that happening in someone's home? Can you imagine 35 percent dripping all over their walls and belongings? These peroxide products work extremely well when used as directed but shouldn't be played with casually. When you are done, empty out the unused product and never seal up mixed product

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
No Gene, I'm referring to the original poster who's carrying around 35% peroxide and adding it to his prespray. As Larry says, it is an extremely hazardous chemical. You really don't that spilling on you. The peroxide we get from our suppliers as part of our 2 part peroxide/ammonia solution (stain magic) is 12% or 40 volume. That is bad enough, if you get it on your skin when you are using it, it will turn your skin white or translucent and you will feel the burn. 35% would be downright dangerous. One thing to remember is that peroxide reacts with other chemicals and produces oxygen gas in the container you mixed it in. It can cause that container to explode if there is no pressure relief. Marty, stop stirring the pot or I'll clean your rust stains.

If I get some free time I shoot a video of its reaction with two common products I carry. One is down right explosive. Never worry about me, it takes two to fight. I would just apologize.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
The pool supply store is foolish as are the building supply stores of the world who sell muratic acid to anybody. It appears you have proper procedures. I hope that everyone who reads this will also have proper safety procedures. I am concerned because this industry is known for using products without reading instructions on the labels. The guy who was just caught in Belgium was planning an event where he planned to use H2O2 as part of their evil concoction. Mixed with the wrong thing it is rocket fuel.
So what your saying is buying it be the drum gets you on "the list" at the department of homeland security? LoL

Tom Forsythe

Fair question, I have an undergraduate degree with a double major of political science and history from Bowling Green State University graduating magna cum laude. I have a master degree in history with an emphasis with statistics from Bowling Green State University. I was in the oriental rug trade for 12 years and leather furniture trade for 2 years. We used Bridgepoint chemicals to clean oriental rugs and Leathermaster products for protection and consumer maintenance of leather furniture. This is where I started to learn about chemistry. From this background I first taught an oriental rug cleaning class for Bridgepoint Systems in 1996. I started teaching a leather cleaning class in summer of 1998 and started to work for Bridgepoint Systems in product training. In 2001, I worked with Gordon Hanks to develop the Avenge Upholstery Cleaning System which has been used for 15 years with some minor improvements along the way. Our focus was pragmatic rather than theoretical. I continued to make new formulations along with other duties for the next few years. Around 2005 I transitioned to the role of a chemist as my primary focus. As of 2016, I have made around 200 formulas that came to market with around 170 still being sold. I have done the work of a chemist for 15 years and have 15 years of experience working for the best owners anyone could ever have, the Hanks brothers.
The question we are discussing does not need the background of a chemist to understand. If you read the Safety Data Sheet of H2O2 35% (not volume), then you have great concern for your safety in handling it properly. I have similar concerns in handling 25% peroxide in my lab and in our production facility.

Tom Forsythe

Patience, the Hanks brothers started as carpet cleaners and built a great company in 40 years. I started working on chemical formulations when I was 45. It is not where you start but where you end up. Also some have 30 years experience, one year repeated 30 times. Others have 30 years of experience, and make progress every year of their career. Who knows, fels gel may be your starting point. We all start somewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom