35% food grade hydrogen peroxide

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The end of the hose is far more dangerous than the peroxide. We handle the loose hose without even thinking about it. imagine what it could do if it caught your face. What about a leaky fuel system next to a propane flame. This job takes a little common sense.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
The end of the hose is far more dangerous than the peroxide. We handle the loose hose without even thinking about it. imagine what it could do if it caught your face. What about a leaky fuel system next to a propane flame. This job takes a little common sense.

Your right Gene. We have to be aware of possible dangerous situations and figure out a way/procedure so that it's safe for everyone - employee's included. You simply can't eliminate something because it's dangerous. My first job at 16 was working in a pizza restaurant. First day on the job and I'm working with 800 degree pizza ovens. I lived. I worked later on at another restaurant with deep fryers. I think I got 30 seconds worth of instructions on how to use it and there I went. Just because somethings dangerous doesn't mean it needs to not be used. You just have to be smart about it.

Reactions: Foothills Phil

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Yeah but you're talking about carpet cleaners here. How many of you know a carpet cleaner that was told to rub rust remover with his fingers, as a joke. I worked for 2 large corporations and met several at both. The senior carpet cleaners thought that was funny. 40 vol or 12% peroxide seems to work quite well on most color or coffee stains, especially in the slow acting prepared solutions such as vanish or stain magic. I see nothing wrong with using 40 vol if you have experience enough to use it safely like Mikey does, apparently, but storing and carrying 35% is nuts. I hope you guys aren't mixing up vol and %

Able 1

Name
Keith
I use the 27% pool peroxide.. I keep 4 extra gallon jugs and split it when I get a new case. I don't add water to it until I grab a new gallon then I have fresh volume 44..

So, at $80 a case I have volume 44 for $10 per gallon..

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I use the 27% pool peroxide.. I keep 4 extra gallon jugs and split it when I get a new case. I don't add water to it until I grab a new gallon then I have fresh volume 44..

So, at $80 a case I have volume 44 for $10 per gallon..
Sally's sells me 1 gallon at $16.00 and it goes a long way. I bet if I bought by the case from them the price would come down a lot but as it is, for an extra 6 bucks a gallon (which should last a month at least) I don't have the hassle of handling it, dilution it, worrying about how it is stored or if it is getting to old to be effective.

Reactions: Able 1

Able 1

Name
Keith
If Sally's had it by the gallon in their stores around here(all about convenience for me) I wouldn't bother.. I pay $5 per quart when I go to Sally's.. And 20 volume from my supplier is $30.. I can make a gallon of 20 volume for $5..........

In the summer here it goes bad pretty quick.. Heat kills it!!

Reactions: dgardner

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i have a box on the outside which stays pretty cool. thats where i keep it. i buy a 50 gal drum and its still good to the last drop. I've never had a single drop that seemed weaker. Properly formulated lasts a long time with little loss in strength. I add a cup per gallon for the best prespray you've ever seen. i use a gallon a day, at least.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
What strength are you buying Gene?
I buy 35% from Brentagg chemical company. They also offer it in 50% but I'm used to the other. They deliver by the drum. It's the real deal. I have a special dolly it sits in and you can wheel it around easily. They deliver with a lift gate.

Tom Forsythe

You need to let your local fire marshal know that you have your drum and have a designated storage place. We do an annual Tier II EPA report (ingredients over 10,000 pounds) where we have a map of our location designating where our hazardous materials (including H2O2 25%) are stored. We have an explosive room where we store all of our solvents below a flash point of 100 degrees F and for solvents which we have alot of stock like d'limonene. In case of a fire we do not want firemen going into an area unprepared.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
You need to let your local fire marshal know that you have your drum and have a designated storage place. We do an annual Tier II EPA report (ingredients over 10,000 pounds) where we have a map of our location designating where our hazardous materials (including H2O2 25%) are stored. We have an explosive room where we store all of our solvents below a flash point of 100 degrees F and for solvents which we have alot of stock like d'limonene. In case of a fire we do not want firemen going into an area unprepared.

I keep it at an industrial plant. they have far worse stuff including a couple of containers of mercury.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I keep it at an industrial plant. they have far worse stuff including a couple of containers of mercury.
If it's working for you Gene, there's nobody here that can tell you your wrong but I would to someone that doesn't have your experience, be very careful about how you handle it. I learned the hard way not to put mixed product in the sealed container. Nearly had to change my underwear when that thing blew

Able 1

Name
Keith
It's you're, and you should have a comma before "but".. Actually looks like horrible sentence structure..

When you say to as in also it should have two oo(habit of yours)..

Actually really like having you around here, I really doo.

Marty taught me how to spell..

How annoying can that be?

Last edited:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If it's working for you Gene, there's nobody here that can tell you your wrong but I would to someone that doesn't have your experience, be very careful about how you handle it. I learned the hard way not to put mixed product in the sealed container. Nearly had to change my underwear when that thing blew

Ok, so maybe a few guidelines for people unaware.
Never mix it with hot water, causes immediate reaction. the oxygen releases quickly and will expand and even explode a sealed container. Even if it's vented it can produce more oxygen than the vent can release. By the way, this can also happen with the powder oxygen products. Obviously the powder is safe until you add it to water. The heat of your truckmount will cause a similar reaction. Avoid contact with skin, especially the face and eyes. Mixing it with certain other chemicals can cause violent reactions. Red release from vacaway is such a product. It also has a violent but harmless reaction with bleach. I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I carry. In my van I carried it in a icebox with some blue ice, just to hot for it other wise.

Reactions: dgardner

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's you're, and you should have a comma before "but".. Actually looks like horrible sentence structure..

When you say to as in also it should have two oo(habit of yours)..

Actually really like having you around here, I really doo.

Marty taught me how to spell..

How annoying can that be?
your real fooking annoying man, are you a carpet cleaner or a English teacher.

Reactions: Able 1

Mighty Phil

Name
Philip Mathot
Many of us Aussie carpet cleaners use a popular, highly stabilised hydrogen peroxide branded, chemox. This is 35% - not vol. Vol is not a commonly used metric in Australia. And yes this is sold to carpet cleaners, and you pay a dangerous goods fee to have it delivered.

I usually carry about 1 litre of 35%, in a vented bottle designed for hydrogen peroxide, which doesn't allow light to enter. I only ever use this for stain treatment, and dilute it to suit - usually to 3-12% depending on fibre, etc.

It is my opinion that using it in a hydroforce injection sprayer is folly. This is why. Imagine you put 35% into a hydroforce on its own, undiluted. Apart from the damage it will do to the hydroforce over time, you will be getting approximately 3% at the carpet. Which is usually enough to do bugger all. But everybody I know that uses it mixes it with detergent and water and then adds it to the hydroforce. Here's the problem. It is likely to either destabilise in the hydroforce before it is used, depending on the alkalinity of the pre-spray detergent it is mixed with, or it may not react at all, and may land on the carpet in a minuscule dilution that will be almost pointless, and may very well be extracted before that miniscule amount has had time to do anything. It's a complete waste of time.

I find using powdered oxygen, sodium percarbonate, pre-mixed in hot water before putting it into the injection sprayer, and then used with HOT water from the truckmount - the superior way to utilise oxygen, on the few occasions it will actually make a difference to cleaning. Most soils, the fats and oils, won't be impacted by the release of oxygen - but in situtations where there are some organic odours, minor organically derived staining etc, oxygen can sometimes help.

As for running it in a rinse - the release of oxygen will cause cavitation and possibly damage or rupture the chemical injection diaphragm in a truckmount, or damage the pump in a portable. Don't do it.

Phil M.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
this is how i buy it.
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG

Reactions: Foothills Phil

Able 1

Name
Keith
That's awesome!! How much is a drum? I worked for Brenntag(as an employee)here and clean one of the managers carpet regularly.. Good to know!

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
It's also stabilized, to keep its freshness longer.
I've been using Aquasilk peroxide for a few years. Works great!

It's usually easy to locate and buy at local pool supply stores.

I'm pretty sure 1 gallon comes out at $20.

I haven't checked recently but I remember it being 28% and definitely better/stronger than beauty supply type peroxide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom