Advertising Ethics

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'd like some feedback regarding what advertising and marketing techniques used by carpet cleaners that you have either observed or been exposed to that you feel are unethical.

While I don't want to influence your responses too much, let's make this a bit easier by leaving out obvious "Bait and Switch" issues.

Thanks!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Soap-free is a fave of mine.

Any testing claim made for a product or method when the testing quoted had nothing to do with textile cleaning. An example would be the old ozone treated water used as a carpet cleaning sanitizer. The water could be sanitized using ozone, but that water wouldn't in turn sanitize anything.

Some more recent claims refer to a certain empowered water. The testing quoted was for lab use on medical utensils in a closed system that had little relation to cleaning textiles out in the wide world.

Since marketing truths are rampant in this industry, I'd imagine this will be a lively thread. 8)

RichardnTn

24 Hour Emergency Service: Nobody will answer the phone
On-Time Service: Doesn't happen most of the time
Pet Odor Removal: Most of the time this doesn't happen
Duct Cleaning: Vac hose is stuck 2-3' in the vents
We clean Carpets thoroughly: Most of these characters clean a whole house and gone in an hour or so
Ask me how I know... I don't need to advertise, my competition does it for me. Vegetables have breached the human DNA or so it seems..

Sorry, Jim, I cannot stand gross incompetency.... RR

Fon Johnson

I dunno.. I'd say that "Carpets shouldn't go squish" and "dries in hours, not days" both kinda get under my skin. I don't see the point in negative advertising.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I had a porty for a while starting out and there is a huge difference between luke warm(if you have access), cold and hot. Hot Water extraction the very first word is HOT.

When I used a porty I was HOT water Extraction.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
A quick trip through the Yellow Pages reveals some interesting claims:

- "ph balanced rinse" (sounds like tap water to me)

- "Don't forget about your underlay...We'll help kill the bacteria that accumulates under your carpet" (must be an interesting process)

- "Breakthrough Technology" (describing a method that has been around sense the discovery of hwe)

I don't know if they are unethical just not my style.

Mike Draper

WE have one carpet cleaner in our town that we all like to make fun of. He advertises "satisfaction guaranteed" and most up to date powerful equipment. He simply hooks a hose to the sink and that hose is hooked directly up to the wand, no water pump, no heat ex, then he has what looks like a model T western family special slide in unit. The only think that works on the slide in is the vacuum. The word in town from his old employees is that he uses tide as his pre-spray. Now that's false advertising!!

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Steam cleaning is the only way & HWE causes mold...
Call this toll free information line...
Use due diligence as this company is below the red line..
The cHemWhO commercial spilling 40 gallons of water a minute through a wand...
Most thorough cleaning ever or it's free...
5 things you should ask your carpet cleaner (and then a list of things that disqualify every other method but the one they prefer...)
Electric TMs are the wave of the future.. Best vac booster ever or it's free mac & cheese.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Jim Pemberton said:
I'd like some feedback regarding what advertising and marketing techniques used by carpet cleaners that you have either observed or been exposed to that you feel are unethical.

While I don't want to influence your responses too much, let's make this a bit easier by leaving out obvious "Bait and Switch" issues.

Thanks!

Obviously the first thing that comes to my mind is Chem Dry. They built their business, they spent tens of millions of dollars, using negative, misleading ads about the hazards of HWE while they were pushing their bonnet cleaning process for residential work, which is a spectacularly inappropriate option. And now that they finally understand the error of their ways and are using HWE as their premier method, they continue their negative misleading advertising about HWE and pretend they are doing something else.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
"Welcome to EthicalServices.com, the quickest and most reliable way for homeowners to find a carpet cleaning professional!

Find a Pre-screened carpet cleaning business in your area.

EthicalServices-
The best place in the world to find a carpet cleaner "

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Company's such as Chemdry and Teri-Towel who say HWE will cause mold and bacteria growth come to mind. They show how this happens by rigging a demonstration to intentionally flood a carpet and extract very little water claiming this is typical HWE cleaning. Marketing by using scare tactics in this way, to promote one method over another is unethical.

Scott

My marketing pet peeves:

1) images in ads with fleas and/or ticks in them
2) fear-based ads (WARNING!!!! Don't call another cc...)
3) ads that resemble oranges
4) ads that show truckmounts and equipment as a benefit
5) ads that list only features
6) ads that show non-uniformed techs
7) ads that say "low price"

Oops. Sorry Jim I just reread your question and it specifically addresses ethics and not annoyances. :) I'd say #1 and 2.

Scott

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
A low initial price point followed by small print saying more $ if carpet hasn't been cleaning in 12 months or is actually dirty. A couple of the department store co's do that here in detroit.

Ken

Scott

Ken Snow said:
A low initial price point followed by small print saying more $ if carpet hasn't been cleaning in 12 months or is actually dirty. A couple of the department store co's do that here in detroit.

Ken

8 ) Any ad with a Purple Truck!

Heheh! Just havin' some fun Ken.

Scott

-JB-

Name
JB
How's bout the world famous...

30 - 40 - 50%OFF This week only!

man are people gullible!

and my new fav., a "temporary" fuel surcharge may be added.... BS!

And a monkey MAY fly out my butt>>>
thAngryMonkey-1.jpg

yeah, an Gilligan MAY get off the island on this episode too!

At direct exert from this Easter Sunday's Rochester Dumocrat & Chronicle Newspaper...

the fine print...

The Gold Seal of approval is only awarded to companies whose cleaning systems removes the highest level of dirt from the carpet. <<<HA>>>Ask technician for guarantee details. An area is defined as a room up to 250sq.ft. Combination areas and areas over 250 sq ft. are considered separate areas. Baths, staircases, landings halls, walk-in closets and area rugs are priced separately. Prices may vary for specialty fabrics, loose back cushions, wool and oriental carpet and specialty services. Protector and deodorizer each available at an added charge. Some restrictions may apply. Offer not available in all areas. Minimum order may apply. Call for details. Not valid with other coupons or offers. Void where prohibited. Offer expires 4/30/08. A temporary fuel surcharge may be added.

K, now don't get me wrong I realize that much of this may be a valid and needed, statement, but, c'mon! That whole thing looks like a big Ole' red flag to me as a consumer, luckily the worlds a big place I suppose! :roll: We all gotta eat right?

Cameron1

How bout the constant moaning, groaning, and downright whining by some people about Ethical carpet cleaners ? God knows we need more of em.

harryhides

Name
Tony
What we have is a case of a Piranha eating his cracker competitor alive !

I suspect that Odin snuck into a few boot camps.

Name
R.J. Povio
JB,

Sounds like a Smears (I mean Sears) add....I cannot believe that a guy in roch cha cha decided to try and resurrect Sears carpet cleaning. People in Rochester NY fear Sears CC. I heard it was a guy named Anthony from A Better Clean who bought the Sears franchise.

Of course you have to love the Coit adds of 30-50% off.....off of what?????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom