~~Anyone switch from room pricing to sq ft pricing or already charges sq ft?~~

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Being closer to .40 and not having to spend time on estimates puts me at around the same place for time spent per job.

Different strokes. Do what you want. I don't see anything gained for by driving to their house to do something that can be done just as easily over the phone. Waste of time for me.

I don't need to go to their home to bash steam cleaning to gain a job.

As an owner operator with 2 exellent employees it allows me some freedom to operate and play with Richard on the worlds greatest forum.
[/QUOTE]

I do not bash steam cleaning or any other method when giving a quote and i dont even mention the name VS.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
. I think sometimes it is forgotton on these boards that most advocates of s.f. pricing are one horse operators like me.

Personally, I don't see how any business running multiple trucks can make a go of in-home estimates, and I suspect almost every advocate of it are one horse guys, as I stated above.

As a former owner of a multiple van operation, I couldn't magine taking the time, (or paying anyone else along with all the other costs) to give in home estimates. Even if we closed 98% of them. Heck I already close most of my calls over the phone anyway.

Now as a one horse band operation, I feel the same. I'm too busy cleaning to drive around and give estimates only to have to drive out some other time to do the work.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Now I'm at 55. A 200sf room is $110. It would be hard to sell that over the phone even if you were a Royal salesman.

Good for you! Do you say a prayer every night for where you live and do business? There is no way in hell I could actually charge $110 for a 200 sq/ft room to be cleaned in my area. Are you talking just straight, good premium cleaning - not a cleaning including pet urine treatment or something like that?

What do you figure your cleaning rate per hour is???? It should be close if not more than $300 per hour.:clap:

Most of the cleaners around here are still charging what they were charging back in 1994. It's rediculous! :dejection:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I do not bash steam cleaning or any other method when giving a quote and i dont even mention the name VS.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmm?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why Do Most Steam
Cleaners Offer "Free
Deodorizers"?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is to mask the odors of the wet carpet cleaning. Sometimes referred to as the wet dog smell. The best smell is no smell. A properly cleaned carpet should have no artificial odors after cleaning. You should notice only a freshness in the air.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steam Cleaning
Sanitizes?
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not Possible! In order for heat sanitizing to take place. The following is required. Minimum of 165 F temperature must be maintained for minimum of 15 minutes.
Consequently the hot water used for steam cleaning
can only stimulate the growth of bacteria, mold,
mildew and odor.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Steam Cleaning?
(Hot Water Extraction)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The word Steam Cleaning is misleading, only hot water is used. There is no steam and if the temperature of steam was transferred to your carpet, it would be devastating to your carpet such as the destruction of dyes, fibers and glues.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How Does Steam Cleaning Work?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steam Cleaning relies on large volumes of heated water and vacuum to flush soils from carpet. In order to deep steam clean a carpet to the base, it must also be soaked to the base in order to attain this deep clean flushing action. Deep Steam cleaning can cause many problems with your carpet. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fast Dry Steam Cleaning? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Claims made by the Steam Cleaning Industry is that a Super Powerful Truck Mount Vacuum will dry carpet super fast. This fast dry Steam Cleaning can only be achieved through a fast skimming of the carpet surface so that the water dose not penetrate and clean deep into the carpet. Vacuum suction can only remove loose available water from Your carpet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You Cannot Judge a Steam Cleaned Carpet while it is wet [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All wet carpet looks great. The same way the paint color on your car looks great when it is wet. As the drying process begins you will notice an overall dulling and dead look to your carpet when compared to its wet state. Wicking back of soils that has been
flushed into your carpet are very common with Steam Cleaning.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is Steam Cleaning Green?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Environmentally friendly green cleaning goes far beyond a particular product used to clean carpet. Green cleaning is all about the carbon foot print and the effects it leaves behind in the environment. Truck Mount steam cleaners have the larges negative carbon foot print in the carpet cleaning industry. The manufacturing , operation and maintenance of a high powered gasoline engine, vacuum pump, water heater system, rubber hoses, tanks etc. and a heavy weight cargo van for transport all leaves a huge carbon foot print behind. Large volumes of fresh water are also consumed.
"Man will always justify an easier and faster way to get the job done, regardless of the results or consequences."
[/FONT]

<TBODY> </TBODY>

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For small pets or puppy i suggest Vinager for pee smell so the pet will not revisit the spot or be triggered to go again on the carpet and for larger pee or vomit i suggest that they go to the pet store and tell them what the problem is (vomit or pee) and buy a product that is specifically desinged for the problem they have and that they must be patient and follow the instruction or it wont work. Do not use anything that is not specifically desinged for the problem or they can set the stain and do not use their home steam cleaning machine because the water and heat will just set the stain. Oh and adding more acid to acid does nothing! <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
It is good that their is a organisation to provide training.However the only way a training organisation can be legitimate in the eyes of the consumer is if it became regulated and manditory for all carpet cleaners to become goverment licenced to operate under these programs.So no body can opperate a carpet cleaning bussnes without being trained and government licensed and regulated under these programs.We all know that as it stands now that all the badges dont mean squat because most carpet cleaners do not follow or respect the training they recieve anyway ie:splash and dash.

The only reason many cleaners get these badges is for advertising and the joke is on them because the customer dosnt care about a class you took.They just want their carpet cleaned properly and saftley. As long as this industry remains unregulated it will it will always be ill reconized
and will always be flooded with splash and dashers.

This is bad for all leggitimate opperators.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>I was at a local suppliers shop after hours a few months ago and they had a small stack of rugs they were steam cleaning with a wand. I was shocked at the poor reults and the fact that they were actually going to get paid to do that. It was nothing more than a cheap wet vacuuming in my eyes.But i bet they made a good $$ LOL I charge $1.50 sq.ft.for in home rug cleaning. Same price for natural or synthetic (same process) specialty stain removal extra.<O:p></O:p>

I would like to know
how much do you wand cleaners charge for rug cleaning and if you do in home rug cleaning? Or do you even offer or attempt to wand clean a good rug
What’s a wand cleaner? <O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>Ya but Ken janitors and houskeeping do not deal with the whole array of opperating hazards and liabilities that a typical T/M operator dose.That is the difference.<O:p></O:p>
It sure is funny how SOME of you wet cleaners will defend your method down to the last dying minute.

We all know that no one method has the market cornered on results so why are you guys trying to fool yourselves. Every method has its strengths and weaknesess in a given situation. In the wrong hands and that means the majority (in my opinion) HWE produces very poor results at best.<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>A sears repair man plumber or electricion have a $50-$80 service call charge before they even lift a hand let alone do any work.The work they do is charged above and beyond the service call charges. So how pathetic is the standard pricing in this industry? REALY.

I personally blame it on all the cheap ass splash and dashers and all the other dummies that think they have to follow their lead to get work. Very seldom do i get a customer that asks for a discount but when they do i simply tell them that we are not a budget cleaning service and suggest that they can go to kiiggii and find all kinds of steam cleaners that will do their job for a fraction of what we charge.

i get 99%. I have an $80 min.and get very few of them jobs.(mostly from existing client that need a little somthing done in a hurry). I always look at these $80 min. jobs as a nessesary part of my job.I hate them $80 min.no money jobs.<O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>The point i was making is that the TMs role in carpet cleaning has been severily reduced to the advancment in the LM industry and this will lower our costs ALOT. Let me guess you dont agree.So if i said that black is a darker color than white you would not agree either?<O:p></O:p>Did you realy think that you had to point out to me that T/G and upholstry can not be cleaned with a cimex? Are you simple? WTF? <O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>I get a real kick out of how all you hwe guys wont even admit the cost difference benifets from one peice of equipment to another in a given situation such as i have demonstrated.

This thread is about cost commparison and i have demonstrated a very good point,i think. Why does nobody on this board want to aknowledege this?<O:p></O:p>

Again this thread is about cost comparison. <O:p></O:p>
Ron the point is that each cimex will do the same volume as each T/M (wow what a cost difference eh)<O:p></O:p>
And you can take a cimex anywere wereas a T/M is only good for situations where the ambilical cord will permit.<O:p></O:p>
Doesn’t your machine have a power cord? A Cimex does. <O:p></O:p>
Whaaat it looks like a typical Steam Cleaner add to me.Lots of flash low prices big promises everything on sale Free this and Free that book now and so on and so on.

We all deal with this crap every day.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Ken let me clarify when i used the term "gone the way of the dinosour in reference to hwe" the point i was making was that due to the advancment in the LM and VLM industry more and more proffesional cleaners are choosing these methods in place of hwe as a primary method to clean carpet.I did not say hwe will become obsolete. I get this info from obversation on what is going on in this industry.<O:p></O:p>

The attanable results, clients expectations and sheer economics is dictating this shift in our industry. <O:p></O:p>
Actually come to think about it Ron the vacuum master would be a perfect candidate for O/P cleaning. He probally dosnt know it but he is spending a lot of unnesesary time money and energy on the ownership of his T/M .<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Maybe that is why i can kick the shit out of HWE on every commercial job i get. All my commercials would never go back to HWE.<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>Finally got some blood on the board.

Was
starting to get worried that all you steam cleaners were going soft.<O:p></O:p>

<O:p> I</O:p> did a 7k$ sofa about 6 weeks ago. It was turned down by their steam cleaner and now i got it all carpet furniture and T/G.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Gees......If it wasn't for privacy issues i would love to share my successes on large commercial over HWE ......<O:p></O:p>
Squirt and Sucky Sucky (from what i have learned hear about hwe i do like the el diablo Product line)<O:p></O:p>

Last edited by a moderator:

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
We have been sq ft prices from day one when we do give an in home est
normally 4 or 500 dollars large homes and I think you need to go look at them.
now about production times I love this one
we charge 400 bucks and takes a tech 3.5 to 4 hours to do this jjob the other guy charges
let say 250 and they are in the home 2 hours.
which cleaner is doin a better jjob and most import building a real relationship
with the customer.
i would say the guy that was there llonger and Ron gets 200 bucks for a room
i bet he doesn't loose many customers and will have most of his customers for life.
ya it's pain to go look at some jobs but a least ya know what yo u are gettin your self iinto and what the customers wants to have done
we don't give a lot of in home estimates prob 2 Or so a week and get 90 percent of them.
you can get close on the phone sometimes you are off but averages out to the our benefit
I would highly reccomend pricing wall to wall sq footage also not takin off for furniture make it just that much harder

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
For small pets or puppy i suggest Vinager for pee smell so the pet will not revisit the spot or be triggered to go again on the carpet and for larger pee or vomit i suggest that they go to the pet store and tell them what the problem is (vomit or pee) and buy a product that is specifically desinged for the problem they have and that they must be patient and follow the instruction or it wont work. Do not use anything that is not specifically desinged for the problem or they can set the stain and do not use their home steam cleaning machine because the water and heat will just set the stain. Oh and adding more acid to acid does nothing! <o:p></o>
<o:p></o>
It is good that their is a organisation to provide training.However the only way a training organisation can be legitimate in the eyes of the consumer is if it became regulated and manditory for all carpet cleaners to become goverment licenced to operate under these programs.So no body can opperate a carpet cleaning bussnes without being trained and government licensed and regulated under these programs.We all know that as it stands now that all the badges dont mean squat because most carpet cleaners do not follow or respect the training they recieve anyway ie:splash and dash.

The only reason many cleaners get these badges is for advertising and the joke is on them because the customer dosnt care about a class you took.They just want their carpet cleaned properly and saftley. As long as this industry remains unregulated it will it will always be ill reconized
and will always be flooded with splash and dashers.

This is bad for all leggitimate opperators.<o:p></o>
<o:p></o>I was at a local suppliers shop after hours a few months ago and they had a small stack of rugs they were steam cleaning with a wand. I was shocked at the poor reults and the fact that they were actually going to get paid to do that. It was nothing more than a cheap wet vacuuming in my eyes.But i bet they made a good $$ LOL I charge $1.50 sq.ft.for in home rug cleaning. Same price for natural or synthetic (same process) specialty stain removal extra.<o:p></o>

I would like to know
how much do you wand cleaners charge for rug cleaning and if you do in home rug cleaning? Or do you even offer or attempt to wand clean a good rug
What’s a wand cleaner? <o:p></o><o:p></o>Ya but Ken janitors and houskeeping do not deal with the whole array of opperating hazards and liabilities that a typical T/M operator dose.That is the difference.<o:p></o>
It sure is funny how SOME of you wet cleaners will defend your method down to the last dying minute.

We all know that no one method has the market cornered on results so why are you guys trying to fool yourselves. Every method has its strengths and weaknesess in a given situation. In the wrong hands and that means the majority (in my opinion) HWE produces very poor results at best.<o:p></o><o:p></o>A sears repair man plumber or electricion have a $50-$80 service call charge before they even lift a hand let alone do any work.The work they do is charged above and beyond the service call charges. So how pathetic is the standard pricing in this industry? REALY.

I personally blame it on all the cheap ass splash and dashers and all the other dummies that think they have to follow their lead to get work. Very seldom do i get a customer that asks for a discount but when they do i simply tell them that we are not a budget cleaning service and suggest that they can go to kiiggii and find all kinds of steam cleaners that will do their job for a fraction of what we charge.

i get 99%. I have an $80 min.and get very few of them jobs.(mostly from existing client that need a little somthing done in a hurry). I always look at these $80 min. jobs as a nessesary part of my job.I hate them $80 min.no money jobs.<o:p></o>

<o:p></o>The point i was making is that the TMs role in carpet cleaning has been severily reduced to the advancment in the LM industry and this will lower our costs ALOT. Let me guess you dont agree.So if i said that black is a darker color than white you would not agree either?<o:p></o>Did you realy think that you had to point out to me that T/G and upholstry can not be cleaned with a cimex? Are you simple? WTF? <o:p></o><o:p></o>I get a real kick out of how all you hwe guys wont even admit the cost difference benifets from one peice of equipment to another in a given situation such as i have demonstrated.

This thread is about cost commparison and i have demonstrated a very good point,i think. Why does nobody on this board want to aknowledege this?<o:p></o>

Again this thread is about cost comparison. <o:p></o>
Ron the point is that each cimex will do the same volume as each T/M (wow what a cost difference eh)<o:p></o>
And you can take a cimex anywere wereas a T/M is only good for situations where the ambilical cord will permit.<o:p></o>
Doesn’t your machine have a power cord? A Cimex does. <o:p></o>
Whaaat it looks like a typical Steam Cleaner add to me.Lots of flash low prices big promises everything on sale Free this and Free that book now and so on and so on.

We all deal with this crap every day.<o:p></o>
<o:p></o>Ken let me clarify when i used the term "gone the way of the dinosour in reference to hwe" the point i was making was that due to the advancment in the LM and VLM industry more and more proffesional cleaners are choosing these methods in place of hwe as a primary method to clean carpet.I did not say hwe will become obsolete. I get this info from obversation on what is going on in this industry.<o:p></o>

The attanable results, clients expectations and sheer economics is dictating this shift in our industry. <o:p></o>
Actually come to think about it Ron the vacuum master would be a perfect candidate for O/P cleaning. He probally dosnt know it but he is spending a lot of unnesesary time money and energy on the ownership of his T/M .<o:p></o>
<o:p></o>Maybe that is why i can kick the shit out of HWE on every commercial job i get. All my commercials would never go back to HWE.<o:p></o><o:p></o>Finally got some blood on the board.

Was
starting to get worried that all you steam cleaners were going soft.<o:p></o>

<o:p> I</o> did a 7k$ sofa about 6 weeks ago. It was turned down by their steam cleaner and now i got it all carpet furniture and T/G.<o:p></o>
<o:p></o>Gees......If it wasn't for privacy issues i would love to share my successes on large commercial over HWE ......<o:p></o>
Squirt and Sucky Sucky (from what i have learned hear about hwe i do like the el diablo Product line)<o:p></o>

Now in order to put these statements into the correct context you should first add the statements that these replies were directed at.:icon_rolleyes:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The steam cleaning bashing I listed was directly from your website. How could they then be out of context?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I do not bash steam cleaning or any other method when giving a quote and i dont even mention the name VS.

Ummmmm?

Why Do Most Steam
Cleaners Offer "Free
Deodorizers"?

This is to mask the odors of the wet carpet cleaning. Sometimes referred to as the wet dog smell. The best smell is no smell. A properly cleaned carpet should have no artificial odors after cleaning. You should notice only a freshness in the air.

Steam Cleaning
Sanitizes?

Not Possible! In order for heat sanitizing to take place. The following is required. Minimum of 165 F temperature must be maintained for minimum of 15 minutes.
Consequently the hot water used for steam cleaning
can only stimulate the growth of bacteria, mold,
mildew and odor.

What is Steam Cleaning?
(Hot Water Extraction)

The word Steam Cleaning is misleading, only hot water is used. There is no steam and if the temperature of steam was transferred to your carpet, it would be devastating to your carpet such as the destruction of dyes, fibers and glues.

How Does Steam Cleaning Work?

Steam Cleaning relies on large volumes of heated water and vacuum to flush soils from carpet. In order to deep steam clean a carpet to the base, it must also be soaked to the base in order to attain this deep clean flushing action. Deep Steam cleaning can cause many problems with your carpet.

Fast Dry Steam Cleaning?

Claims made by the Steam Cleaning Industry is that a Super Powerful Truck Mount Vacuum will dry carpet super fast. This fast dry Steam Cleaning can only be achieved through a fast skimming of the carpet surface so that the water dose not penetrate and clean deep into the carpet. Vacuum suction can only remove loose available water from Your carpet.

You Cannot Judge a Steam Cleaned Carpet while it is wet

All wet carpet looks great. The same way the paint color on your car looks great when it is wet. As the drying process begins you will notice an overall dulling and dead look to your carpet when compared to its wet state. Wicking back of soils that has been
flushed into your carpet are very common with Steam Cleaning.

Is Steam Cleaning Green?

Environmentally friendly green cleaning goes far beyond a particular product used to clean carpet. Green cleaning is all about the carbon foot print and the effects it leaves behind in the environment. Truck Mount steam cleaners have the larges negative carbon foot print in the carpet cleaning industry. The manufacturing , operation and maintenance of a high powered gasoline engine, vacuum pump, water heater system, rubber hoses, tanks etc. and a heavy weight cargo van for transport all leaves a huge carbon foot print behind. Large volumes of fresh water are also consumed.
"Man will always justify an easier and faster way to get the job done, regardless of the results or consequences."

<tbody>
</tbody>
[/QUOTE]

Like i said i do not bash any method when giving a quote.

I can understand how steam cleaners would take offence to that,But hey somtimes reality sucks.

Last edited:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Like i said i do not bash any method when giving a quote.

I can understand how steam cleaners would take offence to that,But hey somtimes reality sucks.

Looks like you are asking for it, like bending down to pick up the droped soap at the state pen.

Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Look like you are asking for it, like bending down to pick up the droped soap at the state pen.

So tell me why when a guy asks for opinions on sq.ft. priceing as in this thread and so many people give their veiws and experiencese to help out including myself that a little p---k like you has to come along and turn it into a pissing match ?

Name
Lee Stockwell
So tell me why when a guy asks for opinions on sq.ft. priceing as in this thread and so many people give their veiws and experiencese to help out including myself that a little p---k like you has to come along and turn it into a pissing match ?
Mardie you are hilarious!!!!

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.

I do not bash steam cleaning or any other method when giving a quote and i dont even mention the name VS.[/QUOTE]

If I used VS, I wouldn't mention my method of cleaning either. :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Good for you! Do you say a prayer every night for where you live and do business? There is no way in hell I could actually charge $110 for a 200 sq/ft room to be cleaned in my area. Are you talking just straight, good premium cleaning - not a cleaning including pet urine treatment or something like that?

What do you figure your cleaning rate per hour is???? It should be close if not more than $300 per hour.:clap:

Most of the cleaners around here are still charging what they were charging back in 1994. It's rediculous! :dejection:

Actually, I do pray for work. Your recession finally hit up here and this past 2 yrs have been "interesting".
55cents is for my Best cleaning, prevac, prespray, scrub, rinse, moving furn, but urine treatment is not included. I'm in a "average area", mostly middle class working people. But housing/"cost of living" is not cheep here. My hourly rate is still only about $100 perhour, not $300. If it were $300 I'd probably be ripping them off. It takes time to properly vacuum and prep and rinse a carpet. So many guys are speed vac'ing and wanding. Job today took me almost 2hrs to vac, been 8yrs since they last called. As others have said, I have clients in my computer and quote them over the phone for repeats.

Oh, someone said you can pretty much figure things out over the phone. Really??? You can tell how soiled carpet is? how much furn needs to be moved?? You can tell how bad that urine spot is? or that stain/spot? Or what fabric is on that sofa and how soiled it is? I need to get one of those phones!!
I get talking to people over the phone and as I'm asking questions, I mention that I should come over and give them an exact quote. Most of the time, and as an eg a client that I just talked to today about cleaning 2 sectionals, she was very pleased that I would come over and evaluate what needed to be done. Yes, it does take more time but to me, its well worth it. I've shown up at several jobs this past year that I sold over the phone and regretted NOT going to do a quote!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Oh, someone said you can pretty much figure things out over the phone. Really??? You can tell how soiled carpet is? how much furn needs to be moved?? You can tell how bad that urine spot is? or that stain/spot? Or what fabric is on that sofa and how soiled it is? I need to get one of those phones!!
I get talking to people over the phone and as I'm asking questions, I mention that I should come over and give them an exact quote. Most of the time, and as an eg a client that I just talked to today about cleaning 2 sectionals, she was very pleased that I would come over and evaluate what needed to be done. Yes, it does take more time but to me, its well worth it. I've shown up at several jobs this past year that I sold over the phone and regretted NOT going to do a quote!

in over 9 years I have not had any type of problems that have made me rethink the way I do it....it was not perfect at first....but in time we learned the right questions to ask and how to handle things better...........

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I cee nuttin wrong wit his diatribe on HWE.

You guys might
be jellous and are simply LOOSERS.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Mardie at work.........

firefighter-foam_1204668i.jpg

Reactions: Zee and dealtimeman

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
in over 9 years I have not had any type of problems that have made me rethink the way I do it....it was not perfect at first....but in time we learned the right questions to ask and how to handle things better...........

If you have the right questions, you can get it narrowed down well enough. There's always that "perceived misinterpretation" of what was said on the phone to deal with many times. Ma'am, my MINIMUM is $100, NOT the whole job will be $100 :eekk:
Its still much easier as Owner/OP. Its a pain as a tech that never did the initial talk. I remember years ago working for the dept store, Yes Ma'am, the operator may have said that when you were booking the job but now that I SEE THE JOB its much different from what you were saying over the phone. Walked into a "one room" living room job back then...900sf in one room! 2 room special for $30 :icon_cry: The operator booked the job. She made $10-20/hr, I brought back $30 and made 20% on THAT, before expenses.

Some things you never forget, that was back in 92!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Extraction....really?

Come on Mardie if that isn't bait and switch I don't know what is.

"Deep Extraction Cleaning Service" sounds like you're selling HWE but you delivering fOaM.

Foamers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you have the right questions, you can get it narrowed down well enough. There's always that "perceived misinterpretation" of what was said on the phone to deal with many times. Ma'am, my MINIMUM is $100, NOT the whole job will be $100 :eekk:
Its still much easier as Owner/OP. Its a pain as a tech that never did the initial talk. I remember years ago working for the dept store, Yes Ma'am, the operator may have said that when you were booking the job but now that I SEE THE JOB its much different from what you were saying over the phone. Walked into a "one room" living room job back then...900sf in one room! 2 room special for $30 :icon_cry: The operator booked the job. She made $10-20/hr, I brought back $30 and made 20% on THAT, before expenses.

Some things you never forget, that was back in 92!!

My guy liked it.......it made things nice and easy when he was dealing with people......everyone was on the same page and knew what to expect before he even pulled up...he worked with me long enough to iron out any thing that may come up that he did not know about.........

nothing is 100%........as far as when you get there and then they want to add something...or something happens the night before....or what ever.....but any situation is easy to deal with.......you just have to be prepared for what comes up........ that's what we get paid for either........

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Do you have sq ft price packages?
We'll discount per square foot pricing for larger jobs. Since we're really selling time, doing two jobs worth of work with one set of drive times and set-ups pays for the discount. Same goes for vacant rooms vs. moving the furniture.

How do you handle in home estimates and so on?
1- Salesperson can stop by and give to the penny pricing, while also assessing the job to see where the customer can either save money or add to the job scope to spend more money. 2- Tech can give pricing before starting job, while also seeing where the customer could save money or add to the job scope to spend more money. The problem with 2 is that too often the tech gets sent away because the customer doesn't want to feel pressured, leaving him with a hole in his schedule that could have been a cleaning job. Also, the best cleaning techs excel at cleaning, not sales. If you're a great salesperson, you should be the one doing the estimating while someone else does the cleaning.

Is it doable having a multi truck operation and charge a higher sq ft?
We're at .54, and some of our friends in the biz take pride in charging more. Ron at Revive, Ernie at Ernie's, and John at Crystal are all local examples of multi-truck, high-line cleaners. Come to a CCINW meeting and get to know them.

Personally, I don't see how any business running multiple trucks can make a go of in-home estimates, and I suspect almost every advocate of it are one horse guys, as I stated above. Having to pay a salesperson to go give the estimate has to be a fairly large chunk of the gross, even for those high priced businesses of bulletin board lore. Not to mention the shear number of extimates involved in keeping a fleet of trucks busy 5 or 6 days a week, 12 months out of a year. It just does not seem practical.
We cut some of the expense by making them drive billboard advertising trucks.

Actually, it works because only a small percentage of jobs require an in-home estimate, and salesmen are quite good at making a simple cleaning request into a much larger order and leaving the customer pleased that we were able to help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom