Are you having these problems with your CDS or PTO units in Chevy Vans

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We have several problems with our Chevy Vans with Hydramaster CDS units. We have five of the same trucks with 6.2 Liter V8 engines. We do mostly large residential jobs where our trucks are running the cleaning equipment for many hours before driving to the next job. Typically 4-6 hours at a time.
1. Plug wires go bad about every year or 12,000 miles. The wires are cooked, they are so brittles they just fall apart. We need wires that can withstand the high heat better than the factory wires. I've tried a few different brands but no luck yet. Ii costs about $200 including labor to replace each time.

2. All trucks are developing power steering leaks. I've been told it's because the power steering is always under pressure when the truck is high idling for hours at a time. Most of them have been under warranty but they are getting older now and I will be paying for the repairs.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Honestly, neither. I have replaced the wires twice in my 09 chevy/cds, but that's in a span of 5000 hours and 100k miles

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We have not experienced any of those problems with our direct drive Butlers.

We did have our 2011 GMC burning out fuel pumps, but that was a wire harness problem that GM finally agreed was a problem and started to cover them even after warranty ran out.

Otherwise no real problems like being described or other situations from the Butler units being installed in the vans

Name
Scott Turknett
We have several problems with our Chevy Vans with Hydramaster CDS units. We have five of the same trucks with 6.2 Liter V8 engines. We do mostly large residential jobs where our trucks are running the cleaning equipment for many hours before driving to the next job. Typically 4-6 hours at a time.
1. Plug wires go bad about every year or 12,000 miles. The wires are cooked, they are so brittles they just fall apart. We need wires that can withstand the high heat better than the factory wires. I've tried a few different brands but no luck yet. Ii costs about $200 including labor to replace each time.

2. All trucks are developing power steering leaks. I've been told it's because the power steering is always under pressure when the truck is high idling for hours at a time. Most of them have been under warranty but they are getting older now and I will be paying for the repairs.
For the wires buy them from napa, and get the fiberglass boot/wire covers that racers use

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Chet - I talked with our Tech Support Team and the CDS guru - Steve Poulos, and honestly the issue with power steering is not something we hear of. They did have a couple of suggestions and will be trying to get in contact with you. In the mean time, if you would like, please feel free to call our Tech Support manager, Marcus Van Wyck, at 1-800-426-1301. His extension is 1633.

A couple of suggestions:
1. Make sure when you are running your machine, that someone is not sitting in the drivers seat eating or taking a break leaning against or moving the steering wheel.
2. Most “factory” spark plug cables made now are silicone based to withstand the elevated engine temperatures of today’s engines; the higher temperatures are the result of tighter emission limits, Still GM recommends on commercial vans they be changed more often. Wires and plugs should be replaced on commercial vans about 40-50K , the owners manual says 100K but ½ that for commercial work. Our tech support team also has some suggestions for high performance wires and plugs available from your local auto parts store.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We replace plug wires as part of the maintenance routine at 50k. They are usually pretty dried out at that time. Very occasionally one will fail early and we'll usually just replace the bad wire unless the connectors on the rest look bad. Replacing a set of wires is a pretty easy job if you're looking to save $150.

GM's "hydro boost" connects the power assist for both steering and brakes so when it fails your pedal will go almost to the floor and it will become difficult to steer. GM trucks warn you of this impending fright by leaking. You'll have to replace the Hydro Boost unit.
This isn't a new issue, and affects all GM vans and trucks. I'd guess we've replaced the Hydro Boost on 10% of our trucks. Mileages doesn't seem to matter.

If it makes you feel better, my personal Ford van just had the power brake unit fail. No CDS to blame, and no fright warning before the pedal went almost to the floor. Repair will cost about the same as for the Hydro-Boost.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Replaced my powersteering hoses on my 03 chevy 3500 because of leaking.
03 Cleanco quad 56

Brian H

Name
Brian H
@Brian H
Must have some advice
I checked with our maintenance manager and he says we replace the plug wires around 75,000 miles or so unless there are issues prior to that. Is it possible that their is something impeding the air flow under the hood? I do know Butler uses a different radiator fan to help with the air circulation.

The power steering hose will occasionally go bad, but they usually give us notice first. Very rare for a power steering pump to go bad.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Because he's too busy working on his ego and his reality show

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Ask him if he gets any kickbacks from his shilling of products.

Giving shit is what I do.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Brian, I was talking with Hydramaster the other day and I suggested a larger fan or some way of moving more air. Thanks I'll stay on it.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
fan in front of the van on super hot days doesnt sound bad. in the summer i would use a snail fan to blow air on the rage, helped alot. just glad the ac works so far in the vans. It gets hott!!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
The whole thing about keeping the hood closed because it is designed to cool goes out the window........because that only pertains to the van moving...............not sitting still running at 1500 rpms.

Hoses, belts plug wires , alternators etc fry faster.

Heat rises............opening the hood will even help the exhaust heat out

Reactions: Art Kelley
Back
Top Bottom