Battle Of The Direct Drives @ Vegas MFE!

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
anyone that props the hood open is dumb as a rock...
you want to KEEP the heat in there......and use more DURABLE components that can withstand the heat!
i.e.
210 stat
Gates Green belts
50w racing oil
and......
a four row radiator !
and the most important thing is.......
spend big on spark plug wires..................at least 8mm
Seems I underestimated you, Sorry Bob

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
that wand stroke was only the first of the process of removing broken crack pipe glass from the EDGE of the carpet.....the next stroke woulda been the full stroke......but YES it DID almost kill me...that's the first i pushed in over fi years...............

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
It gets pretty damn hot here in the summer and I can honestly say I have never opened the hood of my Butler to cool it. Then again, I've never put a heater in at night either.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
lol

trying to rile me up aint yunz?

Grab a number bitches..... I got my hand cocked and ready to slap : )

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Actually on the hood open comments....

I did a little digging and

The van's cooling system (radiator, coolant, shrouds, etc...) is designed to work with the hood shut. Keeping the hood open would disrupt the proper air flow going through the radiator, engine, and transmission. You could say there is a reason why the van manufacturer designed the shrouds the way they do.

Also for most of the manufacturers I believe they have gone to being inside because at one time, Butler used to have their system outside for conventions. They stopped because they got more foot traffic and feedback with their inside van.

Hopefully, this year it will change. It is very hard, logistically, for a single vendor to set up a realistic demo at a convention.....

I'm actually looking forward to this and looking forward to having some fun with the new "Saigerized" Butler running, and there is also going to be another Butler inside too!

Except if Bawb comes in with a Blue Printed, Dyno maxed out Super Charged or Blown Steam Genie to kick my tail :lol:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Well Mark you may be right about having the hood closed..................but does it apply while the van is parked and the engine running 1500 rpms? Airflow while driving I can see but sitting there running I can not.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Well Mark you may be right about having the hood closed..................but does it apply while the van is parked and the engine running 1500 rpms? Airflow while driving I can see but sitting there running I can not.
Boyle said that Butler installed a fan to blow onto the radiator. He may be FOS, but if it's correct than Butler has it right and the other manufacturers of DDs need to install such a fan also for those trucks idling away in driveways all over America. They're just not designed to sit there and rev at 1500 rpms for hours at a time.

Reactions: Jimmy L and Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

Boyle said that Butler installed a fan to blow onto the radiator. He may be FOS, but if it's correct than Butler has it right and the other manufacturers of DDs need to install such a fan also for those trucks idling away in driveways all over America. They're just not designed to sit there and rev at 1500 rpms for hours at a time.

Actually, Butler changes up the fans and Fan clutches from factory stock to help this problem...

My fan in my Butler is a Non Thermal Fan Clutch....

How do I know....because I had a fan clutch go bad today...and my cousins Butler is having the same problem....both 2001 units with 65,000 and 70,000 miles and 2200 -3000 hours...

Matt Allen and Daryl Berrelli from Butler, personally called me AFTER HOURS to tell me they have a call out to Tom their engineer, and if nothing else, they will have the part number for me ASAP in the morning....with the correct parts number that is a GM product in this case....

I can't thank them enough for their customer service....

Butler has this figured out....and they are really good at it from our past experiences....

Ron K

It's a great idea to use an inline temp gauge, moving it from machine to machine. It eliminates the chance that the individual gauges may not be calibrated exactly the same. But if you put it out at the wand you introduce another variable, temp drop through the hose. If you want to compare machine performance then put the inline gauge at the machine outlet.
Isn't that where the cleaning takes place not at the machine outlet? If you want apples to apples then use the same hose and wand.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Isn't that where the cleaning takes place not at the machine outlet? If you want apples to apples then use the same hose and wand.

What if the first machine is positioned where the hose runs on concrete, in the shade - and when you get around to testing the next machine that hose run is on asphalt in the sun? You're not testing the machine anymore - that was my point - it could introduce variables that skew the results.....

Now, if you did a test upfront (using any machine) and established a "standard" temperature drop for that hose run/wand - then applied that number to the ATM results for each machine - then you could establish an ATW number for every machine without introducing variables. Actually - that's not a bad idea.

BUT - those ATW figures would only apply to that hose run, on that surface, at that day's temperature. If I do the same test with my hose on grass in the winter then my ATW number would be different - and thus the problem with the ATW test.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
Have to congratulate and say thanks to Mikey once again for getting all these direct dive and other units not only on the trade show floor but outside and running. Yea there is no way it's ever going to be a perfect "apples to apples" comparison situation but this is as close as you'll likely ever get. We all talk and think about heat and vacuum but what about noise? It may be a challenge to compare with a number of units running at the same time but if you pay attention there is a difference. You or your employees must stand next to these units every day.... think that doesn't have a long term effect on hearing. Slide ins are notorious for excessive noise. The Cleanco PTO is a great unit (that's right Saiger) that really does a great job of noise reduction and maximizing available space. Point is there are so many important things to consider when laying about 10's of thousands of dollars for these rigs. The ability to compare side by side............ Priceless!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I'm real excited to see cleanco there. I spent 5 years doing research on buying a pto and bought the quad 56.

Can't see the reasoning or thought process on having a water cooled blower though with one of the other brands.
Why make something even more complicated when all it has to do is...................suck and squirt?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom