Can you make a hose reel power that isn't?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Ok, I'll probably catch some shit for this but I think it is possible... There is enough room on the reel to put a pulley or sprocket and think it might be something to try this winter if you guys think i'm not going to be wasting my time. What size electric motor would I need?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Albert Lazo said:
I'll post the motor on mine tomorrow. Looks like it would be doable.

Albert

Those pics. would be great! I will post all pics of the steps It took to convert also...

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo

TimP

FCC said:
Wouldn't be hard. Motor (geared) , sprockets, chain, and a switch........

You don't even have to do a chain....belts can be done too....possibly cheaper and easier?

John Watson

My electric reel is a one of a kinder, uses a geared down motor, belts and a air pressure bulb foot switch. Cost $1700 to have made back in 93 I think. (NO I didn't have it made) Has some advantages of some needs more of others. Works for me..

Able 1

Name
Keith
Is that 1/5 hp motor big enough? Going to order tomorrow...

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Is that 1/5 hp motor big enough? Going to order tomorrow...

It's on a 250' reel. I don't know the rpm though. The bottom sprocket is about a 2", the top one about 10". It's a chain. I wonder if it would slip if it's a belt.

How much is it?

Albert

Able 1

Name
Keith
I really haven't found one but I will in the morning... I found a 1/2 horse for like $370.00 but if all I need is a 1/5 horse it will be from $200.00 to $250.00. I really want to use one of those power twist belts but I will do a chain if need be. Looking for sheaves right now hope they have them locally.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you can get all kinds of sprockets almost any bore size with set screws to lock then in place....
chains can be cut to any length and put together with a master link....

the motor is easy to wire up with a push button and a relay....
add in a few fusible links for safety factors and you could probably put it all together on a Saturday and still have time to watch the game....

Able 1

Name
Keith
Yeah, I'll probably go with the chain and sprocket, just because it will be easier. Dose the 1/5 horse do it for you guys or do you wish you had more? How big should the sprocket be on the reel? I'm thinking that if I go 3" that would be ok...

Thanks for the help,

Greenie

You may want one of those low speed motors (higher up on the page Albert posted) as you need torque more than speed. ANd actually if you use to small of a reel side sprocket or sheave it will spin too fast. I know of at least one Elec. hose reel that has a full diameter sheave, got to be a reason for such a large diameter...cause that is a long belt!?

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
This concept just sounds LAZY

Whats it take 30 seconds to hand spin 200' of hose onto the reel?

You guys must all be old :lol:

Able 1

Name
Keith
Larry, These days I work smarter not harder... If you were the guy to reel that 200 ft 3 times a day you would see some point in it but since you just over see your opperation i'm suprized you even have glides! Why would you care how hard they work?

I do respect what you have done but dude when it comes to a O/O trying to make things work so he isn't so tired at the end of the day... stfu! Hope you understand.

John Watson

Just a bit of stupid advice, How are you going to make it free wheel to take off your hose?? My motor is mounted on cam so the belts can slip to remove the hose chain drives don't slip unless you have a certain type of shive on it.. Just asking

Able 1

Name
Keith
John Watson said:
Just a bit of stupid advice, How are you going to make it free wheel to take off your hose?? My motor is mounted on cam so the belts can slip to remove the hose chain drives don't slip unless you have a certain type of shive on it.. Just asking

Great point John, really didn't think to much about that... I'll have to hook it up like a bike.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Able 1 said:
[quote="John Watson":3gl6m3bn]Just a bit of stupid advice, How are you going to make it free wheel to take off your hose?? My motor is mounted on cam so the belts can slip to remove the hose chain drives don't slip unless you have a certain type of shive on it.. Just asking

Great point John, really didn't think to much about that... I'll have to hook it up like a bike.[/quote:3gl6m3bn]

most d/c motors will free spin in reverse with no problems.....
sprocket size really depends on what size reel you are turning....like greenie said ..go with the low speed motor
if it is just a standard type reel..hold about 150 to 200 foot of hose then I would go with a 2 inch on the motor and something like a 6 to 8 inch on the reel....that way using a low speed motor you are going to get some torque out of it....yet with those size sprockets you should still get a little speed.....

I will get you a picture of mine today...pretty easy set up for the motor...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Thanks for the help again... These are the only pics. I could find:

_electric_reel.jpg

vachosereel.jpg

I don't know what size motors they are running on these or what speed but it looks as if I could go pretty big on the reel side.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
here is the motor and the wiring on mine.....pretty simple and straight forward...
the motor is a 1/3 hp but...

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

it is running a 2 inch sprocket and ....

IMG_3946.jpg

turning this big reel....so because of the different sizes....if that hose is wraped around your foot and you don't know it..it will pull you down...but...it has to have the tourqe to reel in 400 ft of 2 inch hose...

IMG_3947.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
Thanks for the pics. Jim, I think I'm going to go with the 40 sprocket and chain... Do amps matter if I'm hooking it to my TM batt. the one I was looking at pulled like 30 amps.. I really wouldn't think it would matter I'll only be using it for a short time.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Able 1 said:
Thanks for the pics. Jim, I think I'm going to go with the 40 sprocket and chain... Do amps matter if I'm hooking it to my TM batt. the one I was looking at pulled like 30 amps.. I really wouldn't think it would matter I'll only be using it for a short time.

30 should be fine ....the amp load normally indicates the full load amps..once you get it spinning I would be surprised if it pulled 20.........I would not think it would ever get that high...but be safe and fuse it just in case........

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Here's some pics of mine.

The rpm of the motor is 420

Top sprocket 13"
Motor sprocket approx 1 1/4"
Distance between sprockets (center to center) 11"

Drawing.gif

Back_view.jpg

Bottom view
Bottom_front_view.jpg

side.jpg

Note sprocket is shaped like a ring
Full_front.jpg

Albert

Able 1

Name
Keith
You guy's are just too awesome! Thanks Albert, great ideas come to mind I cant wait to start welding!!!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I'm very interested in your project Keith. I have a smaller reel that I want to put a water tank under it and make it electric. I may have to let my existing reel go. Good luck and keep posting.

Albert

Jay D

Name
Jay D
400 for a hose real 350 for parts. 700-800 total? Why not just buy one for 850 from cobb or someone else? :roll:

Able 1

Name
Keith
Jay DeLaughter said:
400 for a hose real 350 for parts. 700-800 total? Why not just buy one for 850 from cobb or someone else? :roll:

100 bones for the reel(it was used), $250 for the motor, chain and sprockets maybe $30.00, switch maybe $15.00... To make it work myself with the parts that I want priceless! I could just go spend $1,200 but that wouldn't keep me busy this winter. I really don't think this will take me long to do but I really enjoy doing things like this. Like Albert said if there are guys out there that have the reels already, they will enjoy this thread, it really shouldn't be to hard to do.

The funny thing about all the time I spent today looking for a good pic. to show me how they work, there is nothing out there...

If you think putting a $250.00 motor on a $350.00 reel adds up to $1,200. Buy your next reel from me! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom