Can't figure this carpet out need some advise

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Nylon cut like a few notches above builders grade

Pretty nasty when cleaned, turned out awesome them developed a light orangish tint in traffic areas

We go back clean it out with no effort 2 days later it's back

We go back and just rinse with ro water and speed dry with blower

Came back 2-3 days later

Went out fresh rinse then peroxide and came back again

No other carpet in her house did it
Ideas?
Thanks
Perspray power max
Rinsed with ro water
Sapphire 570
Ti 6 jet want jetted up with a glide

Name
Nate W.
What color is the original carpet?

We see what we call "Ozone" fading here in our tropical climate... Basically the blue is the first to leave the carpet where ever "air" hits it... Anything covered like a hutch or where furniture sits, is the original color of the carpet....

It's different than sun fading...

Reactions: J Scott W

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Did you guys prevac it real thorough?
How was it cleaned last time? Could it be still some pixie dust drying in that manner?

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
The one time I ran into something like this it was on cgd and appeared the day after cleaning. I sprayed stain magic on it and it disappeared. I figured they would have called if it had come back. Don't know what is was or why the stain magic worked.

Reactions: Mikey P

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Your pre-spray is too high for scotch-guarded carpet. The orange tint is a Ph shift in the Scotchgard/ carpet.. Use an Acid rinse as a prespray and make it stronger then usual because you are trying to correct a problem then prevent one. There may have been to much soap/detergent left by previous cleaning causing too much foam in vac lines which will decrease suction and contributing to the brown out problem.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Even after 4 fresh water RO rinses with no prespray?

That's what has me baffled about it being a residue is the flushing we give it..it gos away easy with 1 pass then a slow dry stroke but with in 2-3 days starts to tint Orange a little

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Is it possible that once the carpet dries that it reverts back to a high PH? Maybe you need to leave the carpet on the acid side and make sure it stays that way.

I have had situations like the one you are describing and corrected them by rinsing and then spraying citric acid. There is enough residue from the citric acid left in the carpet that it keeps it on the acid side.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Dave- your prespray put carpet at 10.7ph-- the water didn't even bring the carpet back to 7.. it eas only brought back to 8.8ph-- still too high for Nylon SGarded carpet.

to counter act the 10.7ph you need to rinse 3.7 ph points below 7-- so you need to rinse at 3.2ph.. in pump up sprayer spray full strength rinse and then rinse extract.

Save That Max pre spray for Restaurants n Olifin carpets.

Last edited:

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
ok so i spray a low ph rinse then extract? i will try that one last time

i only hesitated because we do 6-8 jobs a day 5-6 days a week and never once has this happened so im a bit baffled...we cleaned several rooms in the house all perfect except this
one room..im just trying to figure out why this once room of carpet and never once any other

i will report back after the all fiber rinse and water extraction
thanks
dave

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Bridge point Fab set can be misted and left on once cleaned to bring down ph. These people are lucky they have you trying to find answers to something probably out of your control.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Dave,

You have a good grasp on your own business... You know exactly, how much it cost for you guys to go out there 3, 4, 5 times. Right? Wouldn't it make sense to just show up with a new piece of carpet and rip the old one and install the new?

With the total understanding on your customer's part that in no way it's your fault but you want to give a 110%. And it might be cheaper to replace that one room....instead of driving back numerous times and run your truckmount..

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It's just a question that crossed my mind....how many times will Dave send out his crew to try to mess with that carpet. (labor cost, gas etc) Which may never improve. And in the end, HIS company will be viewed in that light of: "they cleaned it and now it's discolored...."

So yes, it crossed my mind that it might be cheaper to throw down a new piece of carpet in that one room that developed the issue.

It's not about "giving up". It's about doing your best to please your customer.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
the job is literally 4 mins from shop and we do houses on the street several times a week so no travel time involved..to replace the room would be around 500.00

i tried to encap it..same thing..went away looked awesome then a few days later orange tint

if the rinse doesnt work i will have my retail guy replace it and take this back to the shop..i need to figure this out one way or another
can only get better by trying

its more than a cost thing..that went out the door a few cleanings ago lol this is a pride thing now if that make sense

they know its not our fault..shes happy we care enough to keep at it and if i cant get it she will shit when i replace it and refuse to take any money..however that will give her something to talk about for months and the 4-500 bucks it costs me will come back 10x in referral work

cant really loose if you always do the right thing for your customers

Name
Nate W.
they know its not our fault..shes happy we care enough to keep at it and if i cant get it she will shit when i replace it and refuse to take any money..however that will give her something to talk about for months and the 4-500 bucks it costs me will come back 10x in referral work

cant really loose if you always do the right thing for your customers

Just as long as it's not on the new carpet..... :lol:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
First of all .. I would not replace a carpet I didnt ruin !! Id consider each trip as a trial and error educational visit. Cause if u figure it out, youll know what to do on your next issue.

Any time Ive seen an orange tint, its usually associated with being bleached out. Years and years ago I used Extreme Clean on an old green carpet that was discolored and worn, the traffic area had a gold tint when I was done. I did a job last month where I went back and the tan carpet had pink stains every where. I asked if they used Resolve. They looked at each other and said yes infact they remembered using it everywhere it was pink. I guess my heat intensified the residue.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
room is 14x14

paul i get not replacing what i didnt ruin totally..but i look at things very different than the average person i guess lol

my thoughts are like this..every time we go out we write on the ticket what we do and the results..always perfectly clean and new looking when done...every time
every time with in a few days it starts to orange up a little..rub a white towel and nothing..encap on a towel nothing but a clean spot..water on towel nothing but a clean spot
then or tones orange shortly after

as far as replacing the carpet..there is not a single person that can say a single negative word about my company..so replacing this carpet when its not expected
guarantees my perfect standing but more importantly how many people do you think she is going to tell about our service?

i bet we get 10-15 jobs out of it easy..whens the last time you spent 500.00 on advertising and got that solid of a response..remember these people that call will not be price
shoppers..they will be supporting someone that supported and did the right thing for their friend plus if anyone were to try to bad mouth me i have a new army of people on top of the army i have now
to have my back.. this small investment will pay for itself for years

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
as far as replacing the carpet..there is not a single person that can say a single negative word about my company..so replacing this carpet when its not expected
guarantees my perfect standing but more importantly how many people do you think she is going to tell about our service?

i bet we get 10-15 jobs out of it easy..whens the last time you spent 500.00 on advertising and got that solid of a response..remember these people that call will not be price
shoppers..they will be supporting someone that supported and did the right thing for their friend plus if anyone were to try to bad mouth me i have a new army of people on top of the army i have now
to have my back.. this small investment will pay for itself for years

That is exactly how I was viewing it when I thought about replacement. To go above and beyond... and sometimes do the unexpected. (in a positive way)

We have done things to our customers that initially cost me money but over time their referrals and returning customers from those referrals paid it back handsomely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom