Cleaning drapes onsite

Josh Almanza

Name
Josh Almanza
given that the fabric is clean and dust free...can one dry clean these fabrics or use the dry foam method onsite? Clients just wants her window treatment cleaned since she's never had them cleaned. What are some hidden death traps or unexpected outcomes associated with drape cleaning. Thanks!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Vacuum very well. Most of your actual cleaning is in the vacuum stage. Be care to not be too aggressive, drapes hang and rot in the sunlight.

Spray with a good OMS (drycleaning compound). terry towel off the pickup soil. Be sure to wear rubber gloves, and have good ventilation.

It's the best you can do without removal. Removal on drapes that have hung for years is risky. Dry cleaners know and have the customer sign a damage waiver.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bob is right. If the drapes are in good shape, you can't compare to immersion cleaning.

I'd measure just in case of shrinkage. Dry cleaning still has a percentage of moisture and drapes can draw up some.

I'd also mark them with a permanent ink pen, although very small on the backside. Starting left to right in the room as to which panel is #1, #2, #3 etc.

This way you get the right ones on each window. A jiffy steamer may still be used to smooth out any crush marks while hanging at the cleaners.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Listen to Ron.
Lots of damage due to UV light even if they only have northern exposure.

given that the fabric is clean and dust free........
I never seen dust free drapes. Were they hermetically sealed, never exposed to the elements? If yes, those are my favorite. Fluff gently.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Josh, I often vacuum drapes. Use a wide brush head to avoid sucking the fabric too hard. There is nothing else you should do, beyond gently hand padding spots.

Do not remove drapes. Suggest that your customer have them picked up and delivered by the dry cleaner of her choice.

You'll make safer, more and easier money by doing mattresses than drapes.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You need to invest in a perforated head drapery tool. All our fire crews have one in their vacuum attachment tote.

20170926_223841.jpg

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Not for free, they aren't. I'll use the idea to fabricate an internal shield for the plastic vacuum brush head, which should give me the best tool possible for drapes.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
As mentioned, sun exposure can deteriorate the fabrics over time, as well as the heat from baseboard heaters.

The large rug plant I do some business with offered drape cleaning, and when I inquired about it they told me they themselves just sub it out to a dry cleaner because they can be a pain in the ass.

They also showed me their drape waiver that would address any potential damage or shrinking and stressed it's importance.

Be wary of anything custom.

Some of the custom installs out there are likely not something you should try to fook with for many reasons.

As for your current customer, do they need more than just a dusting/vac?

How old are they?

Material

Premium service and rates either way.

Don't sell yourself short if your going to try cleaning some drapes, because cleaners willing to do drapes do not seem easy to find.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator
When asked too clean drapes on site my standard retor is "If you're ok with cleaning your clothes by wearing them into the shower, than I'll give it a try"...

Haven't had a taker since the Coit days, where I did far too many..

Reactions: Tom Forsythe

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My father did a great deal of on location drapery cleaning training in the 70's and early 80's, and I trained in the subject through the early 90's.

Probably the only reason we got into training and distribution was that service, as we had a dry cleaning plant and fire restoration business, and had a lot of difficulty with in plant drapery cleaning.

But that was "then".

Between changes in interior design and, more importantly, the change in consumer attitudes about cleaning products, and the odors of those products, the service has nearly disappeared. We have enough trouble convincing people that our detergents aren't dangerous, yet alone deal with the consequences of the solvent odors and the fears of seeing us in PPE while in their home.

There are times cleaners still do this, and places where you can work with solvents without causing real health and safety hazards, but they are rare.

I don't see it as a new service for a company to add into their offerings.

If you want to do a thorough vacuuming for her, that might be helpful, but be aware that some draperies can be so sun damaged that even vacuuming will tear them.

Name
Jeff T
Years ago, my moms neighbour was over for tea. They were in the front sitting room(you know, the room NOBODY is allowed in, except older ladies having tea), and the conversation moved onto cleaning. Anywho, my mom asked the neighbor how she cleans her drapes/shears. The response was, 'oh, I take them down, and soak them in a Borax solution'. Well..... the next time my moms cleaning lady came over, she relayed this information. I guess the cleaning lady thought more was better, and added THE WHOLE BOX. She let them soak for most of the day. When she went to pull them out of the soaking tub, all that was left was long strings, and shreds of fabric..... moral of the story, don't always listen to old wives tales.....

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Don't vacuum linen lampshades either. Brush them lightly with a foxtail while holding the vacuum hose nearby (to capture the dust). Otherwise you can suck the damty thing right into the machine.

Works on drapes if you have the time.

dekeil

Name
DOUG
Steam Your Drapes Clean
Using a steamer is one of the best ways to clean window treatments because it’s so darn easy. You don’t even have to take your curtains down! So how do you clean drapes with steam?
  1. Make sure your steamer has an upholstery attachment.
  2. Follow the instructions on your steam cleaner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom