Cobbs TM

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Brent;

Here is another picture from the side showing the belt drives and mounting plate layout:
dc2045side.jpg

This TM has the new design #4MR blower with the space between the gearbox and the lobe housing.

Larry

Greenie

Ignoring the blower Restriction plumbing comments for now, what is tthe story with the new 4MR spacer between the gears and lobes? heat? noise?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie;

Larry Cobb said:
Sutorbilt has released their new MR series blowers (increasing their lead over Roots).

The gearbox is designed to run 15 degrees cooler at the same power input.

Viton Seals have also been improved to allow higher vac lifts.

One mounting bracket design allows both horizontal or vertical configurations.

So, everybody pushing the Vac Lift ceiling like we are, can benefit from the new design.

Larry

Heat output from the blower will also be increased,
adding heat to HX designs that utilize blower exhaust heat (DC).

Larry

Greenie

thanks Larry.

on the 20hp thing, I think he was just poking a little fun that a 20hp only puts out so many BTUs from the fuel burned.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Am I missing something? You get a blower that runs 15 degrees cooler and has higher hg capabilities, so you reduce the plumbing to increase hgs and heat to blower exchanger? Why bother?

Greenie

Here is what i get from Larry's post, the actual Gearbox runs cooler but because of potentially high vacuum levels (maybe More HP required?), the Lobes actually exhaust a higher temp. Is that correct Larry?

So...I take it, on an engineering level, the lobes have looonger shafts, and put the Gears further from the lobes, are these same shafts any Stronger? Or just longer than other 4M blowers?

This is a million dollar question for your Sutobilt blower guy: On double oil splash blowers, is there any "dark side" to teh double oil design over a conventional Grease zirk seal on one end? Were the grease seals any stronger? last any longer? I sometimes wonder if the double oil bath seals are as strong of a design?

Please report back.
Thanks

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Shane;

#1 - We are not restricting the blower with the plumbing on the blower.

#2 - We increase the LIFT by setting the relief valve @ 17" hg.

Greenie;

The gears run cooler...
and the exhaust is hotter.

I don't see any difference in the oil splash vs. the grease fittings in reliability.

Larry

Greenie

Larry Cobb said:
Shane;

#1 - We are not restricting the blower with the plumbing on the blower.

Larry, he's just pointing out the Reducer Bushing going from 2.5" to 2" in your picture.

Are there any other places in the system that are also 2", like HX, or Silencer?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie;

The Sutorbilt factory engineers you spoke of...
do NOT think the 2.2" internal diameter of the 3" long SS nipple is restricting the flow in our system.

They ARE concerned with typical Silencer and HX restrictions to high CFM flow.

Our stainless silencer has a full 2.5" flow path...
and the HX has 19 parallel sections of 1/2" tubing for flow capability.

If you are seeking performance increases...
the areas of real flow restriction need to be addressed.

Also, the CCS designed stainless exhaust "Y" in the photo, has much greater engine flow capability than all the factory designed exhaust manifolds.

Larry

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Greenie said:
Ignoring the blower Restriction plumbing comments for now...

The thing is, that it can be reduced without "starvation" on the inlet... IF the RPM of the system is lower than the maximum given by the manufacturer. If it's turning slower, it's moving less air, the port size required can be smaller as a result.

I see that the system is belt- driven, which would allow for the motor (being the primary heat source, I'm assuming) to run full- out, and have the blower turn slower. The pulley on the blower looks like it may be a bit larger than the motor's pulley.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Larry Cobb said:
Brent;

Here is another picture from the side showing the belt drives and mounting plate layout:

This TM has the new design #4MR blower with the space between the gearbox and the lobe housing.

Larry

In all seriousness, Larry. It looks very clean.

Cudo's.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I like the exhaust Y, could run that into any muffler you wanted.

One question, how do you tighten the belts? The blower looks fixed to the mounting plate.
Also, what's with the 3rd belt on the inside spacer on the blower shaft?

An advantage of mounting the recovery tank on the right is it gives more room to access the pump, which will require more maintenance than the blower.
I'd have that puppy plumbed all 3" vac lines inside, open her up and let her breathe!

Name
Nate W.
Ron Werner said:
I like the exhaust Y, could run that into any muffler you wanted.

One question, how do you tighten the belts? The blower looks fixed to the mounting plate.
Also, what's with the 3rd belt on the inside spacer on the blower shaft?

An advantage of mounting the recovery tank on the right is it gives more room to access the pump, which will require more maintenance than the blower.
I'd have that puppy plumbed all 3" vac lines inside, open her up and let her breathe!

Looks to be 2 belts hooked up to the motor and blower. 1 belt for the pump with it tied into the blower shaft.

Greenie

My questions are my own James. And I find it hard to justify a 50% reduction in factory blower plumbing because a blower "might" be turning 8-12% slower than rated capacity, it would just be better for airflow and component life to breath at full diameter....common sense.

G

Steve Lillard said:
Plain and simple!

You wonder why people buy a V for $85k

I hear ya; Kinda makes me wonder where and what sick things they had to do to afford them!!

:lol: :eek: :twisted: :wink: :idea: :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom