Crappy manufactured product. What can you do?

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
This is a general question on how to deal with this vendor due to ineffective parts that are breaking within 1 day! No matter how you feel on host products/ vlm cleaning method, I need serious advice on what to do.

We have ordered 4 motor shroud covers ($275 each) for our HOST Reliant machines along with over 8 gear cases ($60 each) within the last month. I'll post a picture below of gear case and motor shroud covers so you have an idea. I put one of these suckers on to replace the older white motor covers that have old cracks, fading, etc. These are usually Reliants that have the old style white motor covers.

First day on every new cover piece on the machine, some part of it cracks. When I called Waxie who we ordered these though via HOST, they said to contact HOST. The VP of Manufacturing at HOST says well maybe I was tightening the cases to much. Not true - I'm even starting to barley tighten them because of fear they will crack. Then the next thing they said, to tough of use on them. Maybe they were hitting walls being thrown around. I made it a point with 2 of the new replaced motor and gear case covers that only me and my business partner would use, not the technicians. Didn't hit anything hard, only placed them into the carrying case HOST provides with the machine. Even started leaving them out of the case. Then still after 3 uses or less (and these are supposed to be commercial machines) crack some where!

It's really pissing me off, because we like to have our machines clean, neat and professional looking going into customers homes. I can't keep spending $1000 every month on parts that break in 1 day. And then needing to duct tape a part while
I wait for another order of covers to ship. It's tacky shit.

What can I do from here? HOST said they rarely see this happen or hear about it and pretty much didn't offer to do anything about it. I posted a fb message and found out others have this problem. They told me they can't keep sending me free gear case covers (they've only sent me the cheap gear case covers $60 a piece one time and it was 3 of them). I've been ordering 6 of these gear case covers a month!! Now I'm afraid to call up and say that the $275 motor covers are cracking right away. Their VP of Manufacture, John was short with me. I have talked to several times and still gives me the same answer. It's something we are doing. We have been using the older white reliants with no problem for years. And now we get these new black cases and they crack easily.

Do I report this to the BBB, even tho I know they are a joke but at least you can an official response from the company. Asked to talk to the owner at HOST? Just bitch about it on Mikeysboard and keep wasting money on these parts when they crack in a day? Hire a lawyer to how they aren't making these cover properly?

.. And no the answer is not buying a BrushPro. We are keeping this type of machine. I spend over $500 to $750 a week on the 30lb drum buckets of Host to. I just need something to be done about our issue. What is the best route to take to get something done?

These are examples of 3 of the machines cracked within 1 day. I've been dealing with this for months now and could show you 15 gear cases that have all cracked to.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Will not be switching these machines out for BrushPro. I have tested BrushPro against these and it is to light. HOST machines are heavier on top allowing the bristles to dig deeper into the carpet. Important for different reasons. Handles can also move much more flexible then BP, etc. I also have 9 of them that have all had motor fixes, gears replaced, run really well.

Soo.. That's why I need to know how else can I proceed to get this fixed if HOST doesn't believe it's true.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
With all the use you get out of them, Have checked motor mounts, brush bearings and anything else that could be creating a vibration on the unit? You may not feel it so do a hand and eye check look for anything that doesn't seem right on the moving parts. Something could be wore out creating a harmonic vibration that is causing the covers to crack. The covers could just be a symptom of the problem.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
With all the use you get out of them, Have checked motor mounts, brush bearings and anything else that could be creating a vibration on the unit? You may not feel it so do a hand and eye check look for anything that doesn't seem right on the moving parts. Something could be wore out creating a harmonic vibration that is causing the covers to crack. The covers could just be a symptom of the problem.

Good point. We tested this on 2 machines we had recently fixed. They were actually fixed by a HOST Certified Tech. These run the most smooth and quick as any of the machines. That's why they have been getting the new covers on them. That's why this doesn't make sense. It has to be the product and it is made for commercial use. So even a tap on a wall or bed frame shouldn't be that easy to crack an entire machine. And the 2 new ones we made sure not to even get to close to corners testing it. Low
And behold the crack this afternoon!

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:eekk:

Looks like you are tightening it too tight...or bumping into walls. :winky:
J/K

Don't waste money on a lawyer or the BBB. You won't get any satisfaction and it will just cost you money.

Its a shame they can't come up with a better solution for you. It sounds like they know they have an issue but are not admitting it.

Until they run through their stock of inferior covers or have better less brittle cover manufactured, you are screwed.

Maybe you should get documentation from all the Reliant users you know and submit it as proof. Maybe, just maybe it will force them to pursue a solution. ???

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Spray paint the old white ones.

It's not just color fade on those, they have cracks as well. But I've gone years with the white ones with no crack! Same with the gear case covers. I've never had to spend money on either until this year and now in excess.

are the new black covers a different plastic than the old whites?

Looks brittle to me..

They feel different. Here is a picture of one of the white ones taken off a machine.

Also a pic of the gear case covers I'm talking about that go on the side.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

FredC

Village Idiot
missing rubber grommets?

edit: nope don't see any on the parts diagram

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The black does look nicer.

What about going to a sign shop and wraping them when new. Maybe it will keep it from cracking and if it doesn't maybe it will cover the crack. ???

Reactions: WillS

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Does Host consider you a good customer?

I'd like to see how they show it.

Man I would hope so. Years of using HOST product and at $750 a week on the product, would be over 200k spent with them. On top of machine repairs which can run up to $1,500 each time, now these machine cover$$$. When I first talked to the VP there and he kinda blew me off, I posted on their Facebook about the issue and that's when customer service called and offered to send me the 3 free gear case covers (the $60 a piece ones). After that I couldn't get any help with this issue, plainly because they don't believe it is there fault.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
the guys use the white cover ones still that I haven't replaced with the black. And they do use those as commercial machines that do take a little beating from cleaning, being loaded in trucks. But when these machines are retailing for $2,500 a piece they shouldn't be having this issue as a Commercial use machine. New bristles were recently bought for the machines FROM HOST. So we have been keeping up on them.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Jeff T
So.... You've spent 200k with a company, and they DON'T consider you a good customer? WTF are you thinking sticking with them? Sounds like Amtex all over again...... Dude, get you're head examined......

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The way that one crack spalled out looks like bakelite! I know it isn't, but you have a very brittle plastic there.

Here is what I'd do if all else fails:
1. Plastic weld the cracking. Then, create a flange at each bolt point to distribute the stress. Use plastic, rubber backed 10-guage sheet metal, or fiberglass epoxied to the area. Make it tidy.

2. Take the tape-type weather strip and strategically use it to form a constant-contact, vibration dampner between machine and cover.

3. Use a plastic adherant spray paint to make it all spiffy. Lowes sells at least one brand line, Krylon.

4. If it keeps breaking, I would wrap one in fiberglass and sandwich it. That fails, I'd flip it, fillmit with plaster and use the casting to make my own fiberglass cover. By then I'd be royally pissed at HOST.

Name
Nate W.
I'd just buy a TM and get over it... :stir:

I'd buy the machines with metal housings.... You've contacted them and there's no help.... Add some weights to the Brushpro and move on... I know you're smart when it comes to marketing... Cut your losses and move on...

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Good ideas with the rhino liner and others. Now I'm going to have to get them to send me replacements for free to try that method and that's difficult enough. It's just a joke that I need to do all these extra steps for a product that cost almost $300 and is basically just a shell to cover the machine. They should be made properly!

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom