Crappy manufactured product. What can you do?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Yeah you could go to walmart and get a gallon can of that truck bed liner and paint it on. I did that on my water tank for my TM.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
My initial thought was already articulated : strap a good looking weight on a brushpro type unit and get the vacuum port on them.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mrice

Name
Mat
Either way it's BS, weather you have one machine or 15 (the guys with one machine really get screwed, they have no leverage). They know there's a problem. It would be too expensive for them to properly fix it so they leave you hanging with junk you can't even use in a clients home or place of business. They even pretend to appease you a send you a few more for free, like they are doing you a favor. I'm newer to this industry and have seen this happen quite often in a short period of time. It's crap, pure crap. I know there are newbees (and people who don't have time to spend hours on the phone with a mfg) all over, that have some "COMMERCIAL" piece of equipment they paid thousands of dollars for sitting in the corner that doesn't work and has less than 100 hours on it. Worse, sometimes a poor purchasing decisions can deal the final blow financially end a cleaners career, especially a new one. Rant over.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Old Coastie has some of the correct ideas.

I would try to distribute the stress over a larger area of the plastic housing for longer life.

We would use these large diameter SS washers with rubber washers behind them to minimize the cracks in the housings.
fenderwasher.jpg

Repair shops like ours see these cracks in many types of equipment from stress, or rough handling.
We also use epoxy/glass to the strengthen the weak area.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...search_in_description=1&keyword=fender+washer

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Good ideas with the rhino liner and others. Now I'm going to have to get them to send me replacements for free to try that method and that's difficult enough. It's just a joke that I need to do all these extra steps for a product that cost almost $300 and is basically just a shell to cover the machine. They should be made properly!
Send me the covers and I'll have Travys spray them. Will be 30-$40 each. On plastic we have to have one guy heat it up to a specific temp them quickly spray to get it to bond. As long as the plastic isn't super cheap and melt it should work out slick as snot

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Sounds good! They are sending me the new ones. I got into it with the VP of manufacturing today because he told me they are cracking because I use the wrong gear case covers for that machine shroud. He didn't listen the first few times I told him we were using the proper black gear case covers at the beginning but they also cracked within a day. The black gear case covers are $60 more so why buy them when they still crack. It's all a big joke right now. I was told I'm the only one complaining about this. Thing they don't realize this has been happening for a year to us but we have just been duct taping them and buying more. Waxie said we ordered over 16 gear case covers in the matter of months for only 4 machines. Shouldn't be happening. Other host users are having these issues but from what they told me they are duct taping them or just letting them looked crack. Just because HOST doesn't have an influx of calls on the issue doesn't mean it's not happening.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Because he is selling Hot Apple Pie in the sky. Look what I did, I can teach you how to do it. You can charge $300.00 an hour...if you can find someone to pay it.

The marketing is up to you. No I can't tell you how to do what I did, (it took twenty years) its up to you to figure out.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Because he is selling Hot Apple Pie in the sky. Look what I did, I can teach you how to do it. You can charge $300.00 an hour...if you can find someone to pay it.

The marketing is up to you. No I can't tell you how to do what I did, (it took twenty years) its up to you to figure out.
$900 an hour if you're good.

Name
Nate W.
Hell I aint ever been good...now great is another thing! :winky:

Someone called me?!? :lol:

Good to hear on the status @WillS ... Hopefully you'll have better luck with the new ones... You could try plastic dipping the older ones to see if that'd help, but if the covers can withstand the bedliner, that'd be a no-brainer to do....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Wills;

I didn't have time to read all the comments above, therefore, I will offer my input on your original thread/question.

I suggest not contacting a lawyer, or anyone else until you exhaust all other options. Having stated this, the cover appears to be vacuum formed (?) from PVC material. Having experience with PVC in terms of the vacuum forming process of molding covers, it is very brittle and will crack/break with little vibration. If this cover was molded from a different material, it would most likely not be a problem. However, in the end, this is the decision of the manufacturer.

"If it were me",....at this point, I would ship the system back to them for their inspection/testing/review. By doing this they have the opportunity to improve it. If they do not, and they offer their explanation, then you can conclude that they are offering truthful information/research; or, not.

Best and good luck;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Reactions: Mikey P
Back
Top Bottom