Dual Wand Truckmount?

gregoates51

Name
GregO
I have been using a dual blower custom made truck-mount machine for the last 23 years. With dual blowers it is a very effective dual wand machine. I know that some of the newer machines that claim to be dual wand suffer a bit when one of the operators disconnects a hose or lifts their wand off the carpet since they are using a single blower. With my machine it doesn't matter what my worker or I do with connecting or cleaning as each vacuum is completely independent. Our high pressure is provided by a single Hydracell wobble pump. There is a slight decrease in both pressure and heat when two wands are used but we compensate by turning up the pressure a bit and it works fine when cleaning. I have accumulated approximately 14,000 hours on the machine and have done 1 engine rebuild, 2 Hydracell pump rebuilds, 1 Sutorbilt Blower bearing replacement, 4 alternators and several drive-belts. Not too bad for 24 years of operation.

These are some specs:
Engine: Nissan A1500 4 cylinder gasoline engine
Blowers Two Sutorbilt 4MV blowers
High Pressure Pump: Hydracell D10
Heat exchangers: Engine coolant and exhaust heat exchangers.
Pump-Out: Dual pump-out pumps

I am considering building a few more of these machines using a newer engine such as a GM Vortec 1.4L. Just wondering if you guys think there would be a market for these. I believe I could keep the cost lower than many of the newer large Truck-mount machines available.

Thank you in advance for any input you may have................Greg

J

JS41035

Sounds cool. Post some pics. I have a white magic pro2000 with the dual 45s and dual vacuum Itanks. I like the dual blower idea.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Yes, pics would be nice. Do the two blowers plumb into a single waste tank, or do they each have their own?

First post? Welcome, Greg. Tell us about yourself!

gregoates51

Name
GregO
Here are some photos. I just built a new trailer for my machine. I like to use my truck for hauling stuff and the occasional camping trip so I did not want a machine mounted inside. Not to mention it's much cooler in the truck during summer months here in LA. I keep it in my garage when not working. There are two small waste tanks in the front on top of the machine. They are each connected to a dump pump that is continually pumping out waste water. For the last 25 years i have been just putting the dump line on the dry areas of my customers lawns. I suppose i could carry a waste tank in my truck and fill that but here in LA it has never been a problem. If i'm at a condo complex or something like that I just put the dump line into a washing machine drain.

View attachment 3929

View attachment 3930

View attachment 3931

gregoates51

Name
GregO
It is a custom machine built in 1989. I have done extensive modifications since then. The unit by itself is not all that big. The black box on the front of the trailer is the fuel tank for the machine. I tow it using my 2006 Ford Econoline 150 van. I keep all my hoses etc in the truck. For me it's nice not having the unit in the truck. The drawback is that sometimes it's a pain backing down a winding driveway when I do homes in the hills here. I'm also limited to 55 mph here in California towing a trailer. Not a big deal as for me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. My unit could be mounted in a truck.

gregoates51

Name
GregO
Good question. People that look at it are amazed the the original builder is using a standard single v belt. I replace belts about every 5 years. They are cheap and only take 15 minutes to replace. I have found that the Gates belts seem to last a long time. The belts "wrap around" quite a bit so there is no (or very little) slippage if they are adjusted properly. Eventually I'm going to replace the manual tension adjusters with automatic ones.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Can we see the other side, with the other blower and solution pump? I'm interested in what you use for a pumpout as well.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I had a vision of having a waste tank behind the seat 5ft deep 4ft high and 12in wide split in 2 for each side by side ElDiablo .. all slid in the side door ..

I've even imagined mounting the TM on a rail system to slide out 3/4 of the way for repair and or maintenance .. maybe even a floor tank (which hose reel etc sits on) to pump dirty water to if you don't have a lawn available ..

You could run each machine every other day or both on a large job or quick convert both machines to one tank for long hose runs .. I'd like that

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hows that nissan do running the 2 blowers??

I got that same motor.....pretty slick you moved the radiator to the side....I was like WTF is the water pump, etc

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Thanks for the pics! Looks like each waste tank has it's own pumpout, I don't recognize that particular pump, though. The waterbox is kinda siamesed up to the waste tank? Good use of space. If I'm seeing right, one of the Asco solenoid valves is the waterbox fill, and is that a pressure-washer-style chem injector after it? So your injecting chems as the waterbox fills? Interesting. You can get away with that using the Wanner - a lot of piston pumps don't do well running chems through them. Very innovative setup.

Last edited:

gregoates51

Name
GregO
Yes your assumptions are correct. The Waner is incredible. 9000 hours before the first rebuild! No need for a pulsation damper. It has no problem running detergent thru it. Rock solid but expensive. The pressure pump supply box is supplied by a pressure washer low pressure side injector as you guessed. Only disadvantage to the Waner D-10 is that the maximum pressure it can supply is 1000psi. It is fine for carpet cleaning and hard surface cleaning but it would not be enough for pressure washing although I have used it for that with limited success.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I like the compact concept of it.

Are those 2 45 blowers?

What is the total weight of the truckmount?

Can you run 2 tile spinners (like turbo hybrids) on that pump and sustain adequate pressure?

Thanks for your time Greg.

Bill

gregoates51

Name
GregO
Yes they are Sutorbilt 4MV blowers 4 1/2's. I have never tried two tile spinners as I have just one. I'm fairly sure it would be able to handle it though as I have cleaned certain carpeting with two wands on fairly high pressure settings.

Reactions: tmdry

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
the problem with your design .. once you sell one to someone, that might be it for 25 years .. building garbage is what keeps the world going round .. I love your idea of built to last .. it was the american way back in the early days .. I like compact but keeping replacement parts, hoses and wear items towards an area easy to get to is valuable .. Im sure you already know ..

J

JS41035

Very cool. I might have missed it but what kind of governor do you use ? I figured it is the vacuum type instead of the belt driven that is on most carb Nissan tmounts. I've seen some forklifts with those. Also like your blower belt tensioner. Simple And effective. It would be silly not to have one (prochem 405 arrrrggg)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JS41035

Mikey. I've never seen anybody post this much who wasnt in a station wagon with a porty. (Cool guy btw) Geez man your like the Kelly Ripa of carpet cleaning. I'm curious to see if your the real deal or if that's just an inflatable Aerotech and you really play World of Warcraft all day :)

Reactions: SamIam

gregoates51

Name
GregO
Hi Justin............The machine doesn't have one. I set it for 2000 rpm (dual) and 1800 rpm single. With the horsepower of the A1500 the vacuum relief valve will open before the rpms decrease very much at all. When I do single I have a "Y" that connects both vacuums together. It's too much vacuum at 2000 rpm so I run it at 1800 (single).

J

JS41035

I ran a prochem 405 with no governor and it actually did ok. Similar on the pro 2000 when single wanding. Close a valve and your using both blowers on one wand. If you want I can send you the PDF manual. Might give you some ideas plumbing the blowers

J

JS41035

Naa I believe it. Just saying you do a crud load of stuff. Makes me wanna start waking up before noon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom