Dual Wand Truckmount?

gregoates51

Name
GregO
I haven't really done a lot of figuring in that regard but I'm estimating somewhere around $17,000 just off the top of my head.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I've built quite a few TM's myself over the years, and wanted to share a few thoughts.

Your standard V belt lasts so long, because you're only spinning a #4 @2000RPM, which is only demanding 7.89HP
and flowing a maximum of 156 CFM. (These #'s are in a perfect world were the lobes of the blower are at factory tolerances and haven't been sand-blasted for 20+ years)

For a grand total of 312 CFM, you would be better off spinning a single #4 at its max of 3600RPM, and achieving 330CFM @16 HG.

To be a true contender in the "Dual wand capable" market, a client will expect no smaller than a 59 blower, spinning fast enough to produce no less than 600 CFM.

A #6 running @ 2000 RPM will produce 600 CFM. This is how fast Aerotech runs them.

An A15 engine running 2800 RPM, with the proper ratios set could easily spin a #6 @ 2000. And would be a TRUE dual wand.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I've sold them all to competitors who are now using them, My favorite machine we built was a Mercedes diesel powered unit.

We currently use a Vortex (That im tearing apart to make more like a modern A/T) and a Powerclean Genesis 59

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
My current project is re-building/re-engineering my vortex.

If I build another machine it will be if someone commissions me to build one for them.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
This got me to thinking today...I have a tow-behind generator/heater/extractor that runs off of propane. The engine is a Chevy 4 cyl. I was going to sell it to get it out of the way but it might be cool to turn this into a fun project.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
This got me to thinking today...I have a tow-behind generator/heater/extractor that runs off of propane. The engine is a Chevy 4 cyl. I was going to sell it to get it out of the way but it might be cool to turn this into a fun project.

That would be cool, is it water cooled?

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino

Pics of what it looks like now and then of course progression pics til the end would be cool !!

gregoates51

Name
GregO
Hi Ashley....Thanks for the info....The problem I had when I tried a large blower on a demo machine is that yes it had plenty of vacuum when both wands were on the floor however there was large drop in vacuum when the wand was lifted from the floor or disconnected from the hose. A large cfm rate doesn't help if its all going thru the line that is open and not connected while the working line has a large cfm reduction. That is where a dual blower machine shines. I used my friends dual wand machine with a # 5 blower which actually has more than twice the cfm of a #4 at the rpm he usually uses. It was great until my worker lifted his wand or changed tools. When that happened i noticed a rather large decrease in suction on my end. I would imagine however that given a large enough blower at some point it wouldn't matter if there was an "open line".
I have been cleaning using the 4mv for years and have never really had a problem with insufficient vacuum unless a belt was badly out of adjustment or there was a leak somewhere. My carpets all seem to dry very quickly. As I mentioned in my previous post I connect both blowers with a Y when single wanding and turn the rpm down to 1800. I find that with both running at 2000 rpm there is too much fatigue on most carpets. It is just "sucking" too hard and my vacuum relief valve (set to 13") starts popping on. I just measured my pulley diameters and in actuality I'm running them a little faster than engine speed. Thanks for the info and i appreciate any other thoughts you may have...........Greg

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I was thinking engine speed doesn't necessarily mean blower speed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Do you use GG on your wands? If not it would help with fatigue and reduce the relief valve from opening as often.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I've built quite a few TM's myself over the years, and wanted to share a few thoughts.

Your standard V belt lasts so long, because you're only spinning a #4 @2000RPM, which is only demanding 7.89HP
and flowing a maximum of 156 CFM. (These #'s are in a perfect world were the lobes of the blower are at factory tolerances and haven't been sand-blasted for 20+ years)

For a grand total of 312 CFM, you would be better off spinning a single #4 at its max of 3600RPM, and achieving 330CFM @16 HG.

To be a true contender in the "Dual wand capable" market, a client will expect no smaller than a 59 blower, spinning fast enough to produce no less than 600 CFM.

A #6 running @ 2000 RPM will produce 600 CFM. This is how fast Aerotech runs them.

An A15 engine running 2800 RPM, with the proper ratios set could easily spin a #6 @ 2000. And would be a TRUE dual wand.

thats what i am talking about when/if something goes wrong with mine.....

that 4 cyl nissan should spin it just fine

gregoates51

Name
GregO
My current project is re-building/re-engineering my vortex.

If I build another machine it will be if someone commissions me to build one for them.

Hi Ashley... I wanted to build my dual blower machine using a Nissan
A1500 but those engines are impossible to find anymore. I was thinking of using a GM Vortec industrial engine (1.4L). Just wondering what you think of that engine or if you would recommend a different water cooled engine.............. thanks............Greg

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Jeremy, shoot me a pm. Always up for chewing the fat!

Greg, I'm not familiar with that engine, but I haven't heard anything negative about them.
I think the Thermalwaves used them? Jim?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom