EDIC portables @ Connections 2013

Name
jack zerkie
Another day and no fuel used for cleaning. I used the EDIC portable, cleaned a few sofas and chairs then the carpets. The hard part is getting back to the the fill & empty and it,s not that bad. very glad that I have the heat with the unit it keeps up fine. The wand is from my truckmount two jets 1003 and with more dry strokes the carpet is very dry. If you need a portable they are worth looking at. For me at age 71 I don,t need ramps s for this unit I can lift it into my express van with out help. The unit is high quality inside and out if you have any questions just ask. jz.

Name
jack zerkie
Wow thats hard to say as of now, I,ve only used it a few times still love my truckmount better, but the heat and vacum are great on the unit. The amount of water used would depend on the amount of soil in the carpet. I use my reg wand two 11003 jets and thats to much for the porty. I,m going to use another wand with smaller jets for the porty. The job this past weekend, I used my Hydroforce pre sprayer first then used the unit to clean with. I think part I used about 12 gals of water to clean 4 rooms and the recovery tank I emptyed twice. I will try to remember to check a little more on the next job. jz.

Mikey P

Administrator
I think the industry standard is 32 gallon's or water used per average HWE job...

far too many variables to nail that number but as an average, I'd agree.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And who the hell has been telling you all about higher pressure dual 3 stage HEATED* electrically powered units for how long? Decades you say? :icon_rolleyes:

* Qualifier statement regarding HEATED units.The EDIC heat and run system is well placed, not in the motor cavity where the increased heat will eat up the other parts. I like the extra boost in heat I get from 3250 watts vs. 2000.Yes, it adds 2 cords to the system, but it's worth it. With the EDIC units it might be possible to daisy chain a second 2000 watt inline (4000 watts) for GREAT heat. You can also switch out the stock thermostat for a higher heat one. Most use Selco thermostats, I replaced mine with 240 degree from the stock 190. It rocks and hasn't affected the heater at all. I've seen the Galaxy units. Nice looking, good water capacity, and they appear well built.

Now Mr. EDIC , please send one to field test for you and report back with my findings.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Another day and no fuel used for cleaning. I used the EDIC portable, cleaned a few sofas and chairs then the carpets. The hard part is getting back to the the fill & empty and it,s not that bad. very glad that I have the heat with the unit it keeps up fine. The wand is from my truckmount two jets 1003 and with more dry strokes the carpet is very dry. If you need a portable they are worth looking at. For me at age 71 I don,t need ramps s for this unit I can lift it into my express van with out help. The unit is high quality inside and out if you have any questions just ask. jz.

Hi Jack - if you can, try an AW29 and choke it down to a 3 flow with 2 1101.5 jets. You're going to get even better dry times and increased fiber impact. You will lose a bit of flow, but the other increases will pay that part off.

Name
jack zerkie
I don,t know the amps,but the one 50 ft cord runs it all. The few times I used it no problem. The job was in a older home and the plugs worked fine. I try to plug the heat into a bathroom or kitchen plug. Iv,e had a few portables over the years and this is the easiest to use.
The second cord is only for the heater very simple like me.I have a few extra wands around and a few aw-29 , but I like the Mytee-Cobb wand that I use with my truckmount.The only other thing that I would like is a drain for the unused solution, just a simple drain in the front. jz.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
What are the amps required on each cord??

More often than not, I would have to have a helper camped out by the breaker box if I tried using that machine around my parts.

Goomer,
I would really like to hear your take on this unit since your the resident porty hack : ) especially about the $3k delivery price to us east coasters!

Could that heater be used inline on a TM for Super Runs or just added heat?

Chris

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I bought the EDIC Galaxy 2000CX-HR back in mid September. It is the model with 2-3Stage vacs, 500psi adjustable pump - All running on one cord. Same one JZ is talking about I believe. I use it every day on every one of my jobs. I'm not a TML. :stir:

I'm very happy with it. Lots of suction. Previously I had been using an older model EDIC extractor. This one is more powerful, only uses one cord - I love it. The ONLY thing that I'm not in love with is that it seems to be a tad bit more front heavy, making it a tad bit harder to pull up stairs if you need to do that. Probably has something to do with the configuration inside the body.

I specifically wanted the one cord model. When you need 2 cords to run the pump and 2 vacs and then add a 3rd in for a heater, well most of the time something gets left not plugged in. As far as having a problem running the pump and both vacs on 1 cord and blowing breakers, that hasn't been much of a problem at all. I was told the total amperage would be around 18 amps or less, using the 2 vacs and the pump at 500 psi -which I never do unless I'm cleaning tile.

18 amps you say? When most home circuits are 15 amps? It just has not been a problem. In 2.5 months I've flipped breakers 3-4 times. And that only usually happens because the house is wired funny and the outlet I might be using in the back of the house is incorrectly wired to the outlet in the front where the machine is plugged in. I do not recall a single time the machine by itself has caused a breaker to blow.

All EDIC extractors do not have a heater inside the machine. (The HR in the model number stands for 'heat ready') They will sell you a EDIC inline heater which will hang on the back of the extractor, which uses a 3rd cord. I already had a MYTEE inline heater which is what I use when I need heat.

I bought the machine thru Padre Janitorial Supply in San Diego. Sorry I don't have their number handy as I type this. You can't buy direct from EDIC. I paid around $1800. I went and picked it up directly from EDIC as they are only about an hour away from me and I need it immediately rather than waiting a few days for it to be shipped. The people at EDIC were very helpful and friendly. Thanks Rick Hernandez!

Hopefully this will answer any of the questions you guys were wondering about! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!:winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl and Mikey P

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Goomer,
I would really like to hear your take on this unit since your the resident porty hack : ) especially about the $3k delivery price to us east coasters!

Could that heater be used inline on a TM for Super Runs or just added heat?

Chris

It looks to have some interesting design features, but one of the first things I want to know in looking at any porty, is what components are they using? Before considering any porty, you should familiarize yourself with the most popular brands and models of vac motors and pumps being used across the industry..

Exactly what vacs are they using?

Exactly what pump are they using?

The fact that they offer a dual 3 stage vac, 500 psi unit that draws ONLY 17.1 amps, makes me even more curious about what they are using in it. 1.5" vac ports worry me further.

As a comparison, my beastly M-5 uses dual high performance 3 stage Ametek vac motors (144” of water lift and 230 CFM) that draw around 12 amps EACH....so thats 24 amps for vacs alone, plus 4 amps for the 500 psi adj Pumptec pump puts me at almost 30 amps. In fact almost all the 3-stage vac motors I have looked at as possible replacements have been between 10-13 amps, so again, what are they using?

One thing I do not like to see in the vacuum specifications of any machine, which seems to be the case here, is ONLY the cfm, or ONLY the lift numbers. This leads me to believe that they vac motors being used are weak in either one or the other, as opposed to having the right balance of the two, which you will find in the most popular quality motors being offered, and considered a key in efficient water recovery. This imbalance could explain for the lack of amp requirements.

When considering a particular truckmount, you want to know what the motor/pump/blower, but with a porty its mainly just the pump and the vac motors, so before I look any further, I want to know what is at the heart of any machine.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Also you need to look at cooling in the motor cavity. If there's no cool air available to the motor compartment, I know for a fact that the motors will fail prematurely. 17.5 amps seems pretty low for 2 vac motors and a pump.

EDIC

Name
Rick
It looks to have some interesting design features, but one of the first things I want to know in looking at any porty, is what components are they using? Before considering any porty, you should familiarize yourself with the most popular brands and models of vac motors and pumps being used across the industry..

Exactly what vacs are they using?

Exactly what pump are they using?

The fact that they offer a dual 3 stage vac, 500 psi unit that draws ONLY 17.1 amps, makes me even more curious about what they are using in it. 1.5" vac ports worry me further.

As a comparison, my beastly M-5 uses dual high performance 3 stage Ametek vac motors (144” of water lift and 230 CFM) that draw around 12 amps EACH....so thats 24 amps for vacs alone, plus 4 amps for the 500 psi adj Pumptec pump puts me at almost 30 amps. In fact almost all the 3-stage vac motors I have looked at as possible replacements have been between 10-13 amps, so again, what are they using?

One thing I do not like to see in the vacuum specifications of any machine, which seems to be the case here, is ONLY the cfm, or ONLY the lift numbers. This leads me to believe that they vac motors being used are weak in either one or the other, as opposed to having the right balance of the two, which you will find in the most popular quality motors being offered, and considered a key in efficient water recovery. This imbalance could explain for the lack of amp requirements.

When considering a particular truckmount, you want to know what the motor/pump/blower, but with a porty its mainly just the pump and the vac motors, so before I look any further, I want to know what is at the heart of any machine.

Goomer,
Excellent questions, thank you.
The Galaxy 2000CX-HR (available in 17 gallon as a 2700CX-HR) has a set of standard performance three stage vacuums. These vacuums offer plenty of power with a conservative amp draw.

We offer several Galaxy sub-models with configurations designed to fit the unique needs of different operators.

We do have a more powerful and specialized version of the CX-HR available which has the same amp draw as your M5. The model I refer to is the 2000FX-HR (available in 17 gal as the 2700FX-HR). That unit has the same pump as the CX-HR but offers high performance three stage vacuums. This then requires an additional cord to power the machine. That makes two cords for the machine and one cord for the heater. Each cord requires it's own 15 amp circuit.
It's a great unit and it's very popular but we understand that not everyone has that much power available to them.

As far as what motors we use? We use Ametek and Electro motor in different applications and have taken advantage of the advancing technologies and increased performance both companies have offered over the years.

Because these particular units are run in series, we designate the water lift as the primary, and more accurate, unit of measure. Had they been run in parallel, we would have designated the CFM as the primary unit of measure. I will try to get the Air watt measurement of two motors when I return from the holiday. Air watts should give you a better idea of the performance a motor offers because it factors both CFM and water lift at the working end of a hose.
Thanks again for the great questions.

Hope you all had a great Holiday!

EDIC

Name
Rick
It seems I am having a hard time quoting multiple users in one reply. Something about new posts and too many URL's being used?

Jack Zerke,

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the Galaxy. As far as the drying times, Willy P. hit the nail right on the head with the correlation between drying times and the smaller 110015 tips. We would take it a step further and recommend a slightly smaller orifice. Our Q.C tech tests and regulates each CX-HR to 500PSI using a dual jet wand with 11001 tips before they leave our Los Angeles factory. These tips will ensure proper PSI with less saturation and should yield improved dry times.

Barry,
This is Rick and we appreciate your kind words.
Thanks!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Thank you for answering.

What pumps do you offer in these units??

EDIC

Name
Rick
Thank you for answering.

What pumps do you offer in these units??

You're welcome.
We offer several brands, across different sub-models, that, based on our experience, offer the best longevity and performance in their particular range.
For this 500psi Galaxy unit, we use a PumpTec head mated to an ametek motor.
Thank you,

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
GOOMER Tell us tell us, woof woof : )

Santa normally delivers fur free Ricky Elf : )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom