Flex Ice on Smart Strand Polyester

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by Johnny, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    hmm
  2. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    Looser
  3. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    Loozer
    Idiot
  4. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    Prolly am!
    hogjowl likes this.
  5. SamIam
    SamIam

Supportive Member

Name:
    sam miller
    Vacuum self see what you get!

Fresh water rinse
  6. Johnny
    Johnny

Supportive Member

Name:
    Johnny
    I've cleaned this carpet four times now. Loom oil theory fits the evidence. Loom oil in / under the backing or on the fibers is emulsified, creating the scum. Scum forms on her vac after every cleaning. She called the carpet store, who asked what products I used. I showed her the Flex with Citrus Solve and Flex Ice. The carpet store told her I should have used water only and sent a rep who collected a sample of the carpet and the scum to send to Mohawk for evaluation.

Scott W.: Can I send you a sample of the scum?
    Mikey P likes this.
  7. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Water only?
  8. Johnny
    Johnny

Supportive Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Solamente agua.
  9. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    You can send a sample. Our lab equipment is not really equipment for testing and identifying random material. (No mass spectrometer or gas chromatography) But we can look at it.
    Johnny likes this.
  10. Tom Forsythe
    Tom Forsythe

You can send the scum to me and I will look at it in the lab. A couple of other things to check. I would make sure the last step chemical injection is metering properly. Some truckmounts have check valves that prevent backup into the heat exchange system. I would look at that possibility as well. I would also double check my vacuum and psi.

There also can be wicking from backing. Remember that the Triexta fiber does not absorb water so any rinse will go deep into the carpet and backing so extra dry passes are important. I would lower my usual psi for these fibers. Flex Powder is great as breaking up oils so if loom oil is the issue then residuals of the pre-spray or rinse not vacuumed away could be wicking to the surface with some of this oil.

On a technical note clarified by my attendance to the IICRC science conference this summer. I need to point out why cleaning with water only is invalid. The surface tension of water alone is around 70 dynes/cm. The surface energy of triexta is around 40 dyes/cm and for oils it is around 25 dynes/cm. The point is that the fiber is not properly wetting for efficient cleaning until the surface tension of the water is below the surface energy of the surface or soils. Heat helps as the surface tension of boiling water goes to 60 dynes/cm. Alkalinity or acidity do not change the surface tension. Solvents will drop it further but the volume necessary to make an impact is no longer possible under VOC laws. Most surfactants as low as .1% will drop the surface tension of water to a level where all surfaces we clean can be properly wetted. In short, water is incapable of properly wetting triexta fibers, let alone dissolving oils that love to bond to an oil loving fiber. In short, the water only cleaning method can be used (ignorance would be my primary reason) to move responsibility from the manufacturer to the cleaner.
  11. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    In other words, water is not wet enough.
    Johnny, Jim Pemberton and scottw like this.
  12. Tom Forsythe
    Tom Forsythe

Yes, water alone is not wet enough for the fibers and soils we routinely clean. Even though wool and nylon absorb water, their surface energy is about the same as triexta. This explains the need for other ingredients to effectively clean (wet) these fibers.

Glass on the other hand has a higher surface energy than water and wets easily resulting in glass cleaners generally having less than 1% of other ingredients. The ingredients they have break down surface oils and the water needs to be deionized to prevent build up from salt or scale.
  13. Johnny
    Johnny

Supportive Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Thanks, Scott and Tom, for your help! I am confident my machine is performing properly. I've done many jobs with no problem since this job. I called customers prior to and after this job to see if there was any problem. There was none.

To what address should I send the scum? (Not intended for human consumption, but I don't think anybody here will condemn your compulsion for adventure.)
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Lee Stockwell likes this.
  14. Tom Forsythe
    Tom Forsythe

Aramsco/interlink Supply, Attention Tom Forsythe, 4282 South, 590 West, Salt lake City, UT 84123 (800) 658-5314 EXT 2242
    Johnny and Lee Stockwell like this.
  15. steve_64
    steve_64

Something else I run into occasionally is excessive hairspray.

If I was Jonny I'd check around the bathroom and also the kitchen where I see a lot of oils. She could be tracking oil back onto the carpet and it's getting emulsified into the fibers.
    Johnny likes this.
  16. Loren Egland
    Loren Egland

Name:
    Loren Egland
    I saved this! :)
  17. Loren Egland
    Loren Egland

Name:
    Loren Egland
    Saved this too.
  18. GeeeAus
    GeeeAus

Supportive Member

Name:
    Grant Baverstock
    I'm thinking that these SmartStrand carpets need something like Traffic Slam to clean properly. I believe that one contains a cationic surfactants and a hydrotope.

These fibres need more grease cutting guts. Flex doesn't do it.

I believe Magic Wand Co. have a chemical targeted toward this stuff too.
    steve_64 likes this.
  19. Steve Lawrence
    Steve Lawrence

Name:
    Steven Lawrence
    steve_64 likes this.