Getting to know Duane Oxley

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Lee Stockwell said:
I can't imagine any sane board operator banning someone who contributes as much accurate information as Duane Oxley.

I'm glad you're here Duane.

I second the motion - I've never seen you refuse to answer a question or snub somebody because of asking a "dumb" question.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
The very first time I went to *** and took a look, I saw my own words, cut and pasted, with "Kieth Shaw" listed as the author. When I confronted them about it, they apologized and gave me credit for it. Here it is:

* Forum * Ask The Pros * Ask Our Chemist! * Deodorizer differences-Which to choose!!!

04/08/2008
Deodorizer differences-Which to choose!!!

QUOTE BY DUANE OXLEY; (NOTE: This was added after I brought it up to them.)
(There are basically three types;
1)Enzyme
2)Oxygenating
3)Cide

All three are effective in their own way. So choose wisely grasshopper!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)Enzymes produce bacteria that consume the food that is present in the urine contamination. Basically, they're like a weed- killer, that kills the weed by making it grow much faster, so that it "gets old and dies" very quickly.

Enzymes take from several hours to a day to do their thing. So, by nature, they have a residue as well, unless you come back later and clean them out of the carpet.

2) Oxydizers are like a fire. They burn the contaminants up and consume them in that way. They are much faster, requiring only 20 minutes to do most of what they do. It's not necessary to leave them in the carpet for long periods of time, so residue isn't as much of a probability, because they're typically extracted in minutes.

3)Quats. Once you've used a Quat, you can't use an enzyme with good success. The Quat will kill the bacteria that the enzyme promotes.

They don't work on the same principle. Quats are like bug spray. They leave a residue that kills future bacteria and mold. By that definition, they have to be present enough to work in the future (i.e., leave a residue).)

KS.

PS:Never use "just" a fragrance, like Fabreeze. It does nothing but mask for a short while!

Last edited by VCS; 05-11-2008 at 03:28 PM.

(My reply... on 05/10/2008)
Very wise words above...

The guy who wrote them really knows his stuff, huh...?

)

(Rob's Reply...)

Ummm....yes...

(My reply...)
There are actually 4, BTW...

When I wrote the above, it was in answer to someone asking when to use one vs. another, and they didn't ask about the fourth at the time.

The fourth is "Pairing". It does it's thing by absorbing the odor. There are some products that have it. I suspect that some of the "cide" products (such as "Odorcide", etc.) that cost $60 or so per gallon have this as their mechanism of action.

Most products that have a bactericide, fungicide, etc., in them don't use the term, "cide" in the name, nor do they claim to "kill bacteria", etc. This is because claim to do so causes the product to come under closer scrutiny by the EPA, etc., and require it to be EPA registered as an insecticide, basically. And that registration is expensive. So the way around it is to say that it is an "odor counteractant", etc.

So, products that have "cide" in the name, yet do not claim to kill bacteria, in my experience, and my suspicion, tend to have odor absorption as their mechanism of action.

... and they're compatible with virtually anything but oxidizers "at work". (Once the oxidizer has done it's thing, and is no longer active, the compatibility issue ceases to exist.)

("Kieth's" reply...)
Sorry and thank you Duane. It is corrected above.
KS.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Well, now it seems that I'm un-banned on TruthModificationForums.

I just checked to see if I could get past "crawl" (which keeps telling you that the "server is busy"...) and lo and behold, I got in.

Hmmmm....

Jamesh921

Name
James
Hey Duane,
I've read your posts for several years now (but I've been out of the loop for awhile). And I'm sure you touched on this subject before, but darned if I can remember, for sure, what your opinion was/is about Kero/oil fired heating systems. I believe I remember you being bias toward propane because you said it got hotter, faster than kero/oil. If I'm wrong, please forgive me - I'm not attacking you - I just don't remember.

I did, however, notice that you are now mfging HX units. Has your opinion changed? How would you feel about implementing the Wayne Burner into one of your units? I mean, it gets hot QUICK on my machine and stays hot (tested at 294 degrees using a lie detector ATW with 50' of 3/8" hose).

Just wonderin' what your thoughts were on that.

Thanks,
James

PS No, for those of you who may wonder, I have absolutely NO affiliation with Wayne Burner Co. I just like them. That's it.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Hey, James...

We make all 3 heating systems now. I designed a new approach to pre- heating in an exchanger system about 3 years ago, and while I was looking at exchange as a method, I designed a specific shell and tube configuration, too, that has removable end caps. I filed a patent application for it and have not heard back from the USPTO, other than being notified that it's currently being reviewed.

About 4 years ago, I was contacted by a company that wanted to buy oil- fired systems. They wanted me to design one for them, which I did. We offer oil- fired now as an option as a result. When I did the design work, I contacted our heater supplier and they recommended Beckett burners. They've been using Beckett now for quite a few years, so we went with that manufacturer- not Wayne. I'm not biased against Wayne. Just have had good success with Beckett.

Propane is simpler and cleaner. However, it's not as readily- available as kero or diesel. Not only are diesel filling stations more plentiful than propane, but they're open 24- 7 for the most part. Propane stations, by contrast, are open Mon- Sat as a rule and 9 to 5, so you have to plan ahead, which isn't earth- shattering.

Thanks,

Duane

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom