Help from Vortex owners

hogjowl

Idiot™
I need to see if any of you guys can help me figure out what may have gone wrong with my V today.

While cleaning this morning, my V suddenly shut down. Like the waste tank was full. It scared me pretty badly because I heard a loud metalic sound and ran outside to find the unit shut down but the engine racing. After thinking about it all day (while trying to repair it), I sorta figure that sound, and the racing engine is normal when the unit itself shuts down suddenly.

Any way, nothing seems to check out as being wrong. Aerotec, and Jim Martin, both seem to think the solenoid on the pto is bad, but the way Aerotec had me bypass it, didn't solve the problem. Jim has described another way for me to do it, and I will try it in the morning. However, I looking for some brain storming to help me try and determine what it could be. Any ideas?

BTW, it's not the blower belts, the blower, or the pto. Those have already been ruled out earlier today.

Rambo

Sir Loin of Pork, don't sell your TCS unit..............................................Yet

T

The Magician

Porky call Adam at V. Post some pics of that new machine.

Jimbo

Could the waste tank shutoff switch be the problem? Or the wiring going to it?

Hopefully it's simply and you'll be back in cleaning form soon!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jimbo had a good point but you should get a red light letting you know your float came up....( full, tank.).empty tank and make sure all floats are down...the top one may have gotten pulled up...and the light may be out....un plug them and put a jumper in the connector

G

follow the wires to the shut off float valve to make sure they didnt rub on something and become bare . I had that happen to me and it shut mine down. ( I had placed a powerstretcher in the area and it rubbed the wires and grounded out.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim Martin said:
Jimbo had a good point but you should get a red light letting you know your float came up....( full, tank.).empty tank and make sure all floats are down...the top one may have gotten pulled up...and the light may be out....un plug them and put a jumper in the connector

hang on..doesn't that float just kill the pump not the entire machine ....?

hogjowl

Idiot™
The shut off switch was the first thing I checked. I pulled the wires and bypassed the switch. Got the red light on the panel, but didn't crank.

G

mine has fuses to the shut off on the panel - but I bet ya checked those already .

TimP

Float in the waste tank turns the machine off not the pump. At least with mine. The pump gets cut off on mine when you run out of water.

Of course I don't own a vortex.

hogjowl

Idiot™
And I'm betting you didn't see my answer above explaining that I had already bypassed that shut off switch and it didn't solve the problem.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I would try to help but you won't say what machine you have so any advise I give would only help if it was a newer model

I would call Chuck also, lots of info in that guys brain, he would probably answer his phone if you called him

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Chris Muetterties said:
What about your low water float in the fresh water tank ?

that just kills the cat pump.....
IMO after talking to him and going over it....

it is either the PTO solenoid or a wiring problem from the start switch to the solenoid....
could be something as simple as a bad ground....

next time they build one of these I would hope that they are smart enough to put a central ground block somewhere instead of running a screw into the frame at the first place they find...if a ground goes bad then it is a pain to find sometimes.............

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Check the throttle control connector along the frame rail, right behind the cab. I had trouble with this connector. Pull it apart and spray it with WD40 or some type of electronic moisture remover. There is a moisture seal in that fitting that is not very good. I finally just cut the connector out and crimped the wires together. Hope this helps. Ron

hogjowl

Idiot™
That could possibly be the problem, Ron. I don't have a float in my fresh water tank and I've over-filled my tank several times. If flows right out the top and right over that cable.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
he has the manual cable....... that hooks to the throttle linkage on the UD

hogjowl

Idiot™
The two areas of focus from Aerotec's perspective have been the PTO solenoid and the throttle switch which is located under the cab. I suspect what I will end up having to do is have them overnight them to me and replace them both.

Or, drive 3 hours to my nearest Blue Line Dist.

Actually, there's one in Pelham, Alabama, which is only an hour away, but nobody's ever heard of the dude and I have no idea if he's ever actually sold and installed ANY of their TM's, much less had any experience with a Vortex.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Good grief Terry. First you misquote me as saying I would never purchase anything I couldn't have serviced locally, which is wrong, and now you're taking something I HAVE said, from day one, and turning it into some kind of gotcha issue.

I have alway told people not to purchase any TM that they couldn't have serviced locally, unless they have no local dist., or their local dist. provides a sub quality TM, or service. In my case, there IS NO LOCAL supply option.

From day one, I have said that my V purchase was subject to be sold. I bought it because I wanted to SEE if it would fit in my busines, but if it doesn't fit well, then I said I believed I could always sell it. No sense in me NOT trying to best TM in the industry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom