hose question

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
it is that time of year for me to replace my solution lines..........

I do it every year........... nice fresh hoses and a new look......
and I don't worry about the black death problem.........

I normally get 200 ft with out connection

would it make a difference if I ran say 50 to 100 in 3/8 and then the rest in 1/4 or not enough of a difference to matter...........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
lol...........yes it is getting there............
I was just wondering if it would get there any better..............

hogjowl

Idiot™
Hang around here long enough, and these people will have you running three different sizes.

Not to mention wanting you to buy all of it from them.

Oh, and don't forget to buy a pad machine from Johnny G.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
You will want to put a pressure gauge at the wand's disconnect to see if you have any appreciable pressure drop through your current setup, comparing the working pressure of that gauge with the pressure at the machine. The reading will be; 1. Unique to your particular circumstances. 2. Up to you if you want the extra performance the additional cost will provide.

The 1/4" hose does cause a pressure drop. The amount is contingent upon a variety of factors, including but not limited to; Length, inner diameter, condition, other restrictions, like disconnects, curvature of hose, live or free.

Vortex units are typically outfitted with a primary section of 3/8 with a shorter lead section of 1/4". But it should be noted that their setup is with a continuous live hose reel, for which 1/4" with long hose setups would be quite detrimental.

I apologize to Marty for the verbosity of my ditty.

TimP

You should try running two 1/4 inch lines to a Y and then to 3/8 inch hose. Then do a flow test and see if it works. If it's what you're looking for I'd go 3/8. Make sure you get greenie to set you up with new plumbing for your truck so you don't have to use the y. Then I'd run 3/8 to the door then choke it down to 1/4 at the door to get that flow up to equal the 2.5 inch hose you got sucking out. You definitely need to match the solution flow with your vac flow. :wink:

Or if you're not getting the flow you like turn the pressure up 8)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I really don't know.....................

I just make it a practice to replace them once a year................
so I don't have any problems.................

Normally by a year they are nicked .....scratched up.... and are breaking down............

by the end of September I replace them..................

I was just wondering if I would get any type of benefit by adding the longer 3/8 instead of all 1/4

they are cheap enough and I start out new and clean after the rainy season.............

Jay D

Name
Jay D
From what little I know. No 3/8 won't make a difference. Especially single wanding. Now if you dual wand, from everything I read 3/8" inch to the door and then split to 2 -50' 1/4" hoses to help with the flow. But to benefit the machine has to be set up with 3/8" hose also. Just parroting what this lurker has read. One more thing, I bought a used steamway one time and it had the larger hose, It was alot heavier if that makes a difference.

Mister Sir :shock:

Greenie

I would sell Jim 4 sizes, two big and two small set up in an alternating pattern, this would maximize the dual chamber Sin Wave effect and deliver 1.25X his starting pressure for a net increase in flow at the wand.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Greenie said:
I would sell Jim 4 sizes, two big and two small set up in an alternating pattern, this would maximize the dual chamber Sin Wave effect and deliver 1.25X his starting pressure for a net increase in flow at the wand.

you would sell me what ......to do what............to mess with my sin wave dual chamber......... what.........1.25x.........?

Steve Smith

Jim,

According to the cat pump manual:

Pressure Drop In PSI Per 100 Feet Of Hose
1/4" ID 180 psi at 2 gpm
3/8" ID 25 psi at 2 gpm

If you are looking for high flow you should use 3/8" solution hose. If your setups are usually 100 feet or less you could probably get away with 1/4" solution hose and still achieve some high flow.

I am biased to 3/8" solution hose. Been using it for over 10 years. It flows a ton a water which allows for tremendous flushing.

What brand/model# of solution hose do you use?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I normally run around 100 ft.......give or take a few

I normally just get the good year hose......

I get it pretty reasonable

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Windtrax................

I get the gray and/or blue.....

.81 a ft for the blue and
.91 for the gray......

I always order mine in 200ft lengths

I don't want to have to worry about and connections laying over where they don't need to be.....

Windtrax has a lot of good things....at good prices.....

steve g

Name
steve garrett
anyone that is still running goodyear is in the same catagory as those who are running unglided!!! if you have not had a catastrophic goodyear hose failure your time is coming, consider it a ticking time bomb. I have had hoses blow shit all over peoples stuff before, I have had to clean for free sofas and other furniture that where in the fallout path. I have had it let loose right at the truckmount, soak down the cab of the van, dooshing the dash, radio, invoices, seats, etc, the radio was ruined as well as all paper work in the front seats. once I was helping a buddy he was upstairs and behind him was a huge loft that went up about 30 ft, well a goodyear let loose and spewed black shit all over the place, the walls had to all be repainted and doing so required a professional painter with scaffolding to paint the walls and ceilings and custom crown as this was all done 30 ft off the ground. about a $1500 damage bill,

add in that goodyear must be replaced every year, it does not make since economically, I am at 2.5 yrs on my first parker stuff, I am told to expect much longer, also I get nearly 10 degrees more at the wand, its much lighter to carry. add in no black death catastrophic failures and whats not to love, BTW if you want some parker I don't know if greenie still has any of the KMA left but that is the best parker hose I have used by a mile, it comes with almost no coilyness and handles almost like the goodyear.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've been in business a little over 19 years, and I still run Goodyear hose. Just replaced my 200' last week after 28 months (that's a little over 2 years for you slow guys) of use. I've never had a massive failure with it (and the propane tank has never blown up and burned my van down either), and the only reason I replace it is the black death will hit it in time. Hey, all things wear out eventually. (Some vibrating machines come to you already worn out.) :roll:

Oh, and I mainly still use an unglided wand, and still have dry times of around 1.5 to 2 hours.

Things sure are different here in the real world.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
just over 150 bucks a year to get fresh new clean hoses........

most blow more then that at the fast food joint or the soda fountain every year

never had a problem with good year..
but I stay on top of them

oh....................and I run many glides....

steve g

Name
steve garrett
admiralclean said:
I've been in business a little over 19 years, and I still run Goodyear hose. Just replaced my 200' last week after 28 months (that's a little over 2 years for you slow guys) of use. I've never had a massive failure with it (and the propane tank has never blown up and burned my van down either), and the only reason I replace it is the black death will hit it in time. Hey, all things wear out eventually. (Some vibrating machines come to you already worn out.) :roll:

Oh, and I mainly still use an unglided wand, and still have dry times of around 1.5 to 2 hours.

Things sure are different here in the real world.

ignorance is bliss I guess

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Like Steve G, I've had the misfortune of repainting rooms for 2-different customers. On was an old customer and understood the problem but we still painted the room cleaned a divan and replace a picture frame.

The other was a brand new customer moving into a million dollar home, she was already worried about steam cleaning. We repainted and I think we lost a customer.

Those we the biggies, we also had to wash down drive ways and pressure was the siding.

I second the blue Parker from Greenie, I just ordered another 300-ft a few weeks ago.

I'm done with Black Death!
We have been phasing the Goodyear to outside the home and soon to the dumpster with it all!

The Good year is great when new, but we just can't keep a handle on it, 250-ft on each truck, it's just too much to inspect, it is just easier to switch.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I wonder if it's really not a heat issue? I bet those who are having problems are those who think high heat is a necessity? May be the fact that my #3 Little Giant heater just puts out marginal heat is the reason for my success with the Goodyear hose.

Of course, I haven't heard any Butler folks who have the high heat option complaining. Does Butler put Goodyear hose on their units, or do they use the plastic hose? I think Butler owners may be a better gauge of what is necessary (those that have the high heat option)regarding solution hose use and high heat than a Vortex owner would be, or any other bulletin board poster who runs high heat, simply because the average Butler owner may be less affected by the bulletin board hype regarding heat and TM pimping.

Name
steve snail
Parflex KMA rocks! Year old Neptune would spew a small bit of black every morning on start-up. Always kinda freaked me out. Thank you to steve g for dispensing that same advice a few months ago.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I am with Marty Sutley.

I actually still have some of the hoses I bought 15 years ago which are still fine.

No black death.
No black plague.

Only 300 psi cleaning.
No call back. Tons of happy repeat customers.

They must be getting really baaaaaaad cleaning.

All the sheep please march along.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I've been running Parker for 15 out of 17 years,
I had more failures in a year and half using GY Ineptune than I have in 15 years of using Parker.

"All the sheep please march along. "

I wonder who the "sheep" really are.
Since most of the morons out there use hot, heavy, black water spewing, instant failure prone Ineptune

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom