How are you or your techs using Service Monster in the home?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Mike, I'm even willing to do something VERY informal after the sessions if we can have a room/space, LDC projector (so I can project SM and the various forms etc. that we use) and can just talk to who ever wants to pick my brain. Anyone that wants to sit in and see how we use SM etc. and ask me questions, I'll run through how we do things.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Tom:
It's a petty problem, but I see it as a problem that could so easily be corrected. You know how in Quick Books you can put your units of measure in (say s.f.) and the cost per unit, and it will calculate a price. If the price is not one you like, like in my case I don't like pennies on the dollar, you can change the end price and the unit price will automatically recalculate itself. Well, SM won't do that. You can't adjust the total price. You either have to adjust the unit price, or the unit volume. So, as a result of this, I can't place my s.f. amount in the unit of measurement column. Thus, I can't keep up with s.f. totals.

Heck, I'm not SURE if SM would provide me a s.f. total even if I COULD.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Tom:
It's a petty problem, but I see it as a problem that could so easily be corrected. You know how in Quick Books you can put your units of measure in (say s.f.) and the cost per unit, and it will calculate a price. If the price is not one you like, like in my case I don't like pennies on the dollar, you can change the end price and the unit price will automatically recalculate itself. Well, SM won't do that. You can't adjust the total price. You either have to adjust the unit price, or the unit volume. So, as a result of this, I can't place my s.f. amount in the unit of measurement column. Thus, I can't keep up with s.f. totals.

Heck, I'm not SURE if SM would provide me a s.f. total even if I COULD.
Marty
I just bought a business that had the problem you have with pennies on the dollar. THe problem is not the program my friend it is you not admitting you need to run your business with real accounting principles.
Why would you want to not know to the exact penny.

Personally I believe when you place the odd cents folks know you have a pricing system and not just making it up as you go. Diffrent strokes for different folks

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Guess i agree with tom in principal.

But going over my invoices you would see a lot of $420 and $560....
To me people are buying a block of time, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours.

I do double back to check sqr ft $$ and make sure i round up and not down.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mobile apps are designed to simplify tasks (games and stuff too), while making the most out of a tiny screen that fits in your pocket or on your belt.

In my opinion, the best ones can be used easily with one hand.

CC techs are pretty busy and have a lot to juggle sometimes.

My suggestion to SM is still to push for a more field user friendly experience on a smartphone (an app). The tablet experience is pretty good.

It's a pretty robust platform that is helping us grow, while not being totally overwhelmed in the process. Definitely not going to complain too much about something that we are having real success with.

But I'd love an iOS app. A snappy, simple one that will make my iPad optional when going to a job. Big buttons to make data entry SIMPLE and FAST.

IMO this is a big reason the CC Facebook pages are having so much success. It's because it's easy. It's the path of least resistance.

I'm really hoping than when Joe said "iPhone coming", this is what he meant. It's overdue.

Other companies are obviously ready to capitalize if any of us (me too) refuse to listen to what the customer wants.

I say these things because I know SM aims to please. They have been excellent to deal with for almost 2 years since we signed on.

rolandal

Name
Roland Ligtenberg
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mobile apps are designed to simplify tasks (games and stuff too), while making the most out of a tiny screen that fits in your pocket or on your belt.

In my opinion, the best ones can be used easily with one hand.

CC techs are pretty busy and have a lot to juggle sometimes.

My suggestion to SM is still to push for a more field user friendly experience on a smartphone (an app). The tablet experience is pretty good.

It's a pretty robust platform that is helping us grow, while not being totally overwhelmed in the process. Definitely not going to complain too much about something that we are having real success with.

But I'd love an iOS app. A snappy, simple one that will make my iPad optional when going to a job. Big buttons to make data entry SIMPLE and FAST.

IMO this is a big reason the CC Facebook pages are having so much success. It's because it's easy. It's the path of least resistance.

I'm really hoping than when Joe said "iPhone coming", this is what he meant. It's overdue.

Other companies are obviously ready to capitalize if any of us (me too) refuse to listen to what the customer wants.

I say these things because I know SM aims to please. They have been excellent to deal with for almost 2 years since we signed on.

Hey Russ - if you'd like to see my opinion on how mobile apps are designed head over to my separate thread. Don't want to hijack Joe's/SM thread.

Reactions: Russ T.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Meg, where do you get that half sheet that you use?
Charlie, we created it ourselves based on the things we needed to have on the sheet or capture from the clients. I have it printed (2 part carbon) at a local printer.

I can email you a copy and I'm sure your printer can swap out your logo for ours.

Meg

Name
I'm Rick James
POORLY..

SM is an old out of date software that is begging for a massive overhaul and perhaps it needs an infusion of younger blood to try and get it back into the modern era of CRM/FSM software. The only reason I am still signed up for them is because they have my customer history held hostage.

It offers nothing as far as dispatching or routing.. the color wheel is so 1995, the new standard is birds eye screen mapping to SEE where the jobs are in relative location to other jobs in the area. There is one program where all you have to do is hit the button and it brings up dates and times for jobs already in that area. Having a call center use the color wheel caused so much hassle and money.

The mobile version is just that a mobile website to run the interface on.. You would have figured that the company that lead the way would be the first one to come out with an actual app. The search feature is a joke too..

For $80 a month I would expect so much more. There is so many other CRM/FSM software that have more features with better functionality and are cheaper.

For those that use SM and have 2 or more trucks.. how do you track what your techs are doing over the coarse of their route? How do you know if they are going straight to every job or stopping by at a buddies house to give him a ride on the other side of town?

User of SM for 4+ years and if you are looking for software to run your company off of, I would pass on Service Monster.. way to out of date for the price.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Caduceus,

What program do you speak of?

We use gotracker to track trucks.

I am sure every system has its faults. Sometime you dont the faults till your knee deep

Name
I'm Rick James
Caduceus,

What program do you speak of?

We use gotracker to track trucks.

I am sure every system has its faults. Sometime you dont the faults till your knee deep

This is what I learned when dealing with FSM/CRM software.. no one program is a perfect fit for every business. Here is an example though.. its a company called Locqus.. its a newer company compared to SM and others but it is rich with features, even a 1.75% CC fee.. all for $13 a month. For an extra $20 a month fee you get to track everything your fleet does:

"Lower the cost of your fleet and manage your vehicles! Locqus Vehicle Tracking units offer the ability to track all the vehicles in your fleet 24x7 with a small device that is always connected via cellular networks. These small units plug easily into the OBD port on any passenger or light duty vehicle, making it easy to install into your vehicle. Along with giving you the geo location of the vehicle, the units also provide you with the maximum speed, acceleration, deceleration, mileage, and time running for the day, week, month, and year. Vehicle Trackers also display fuel level, odometer, and battery voltage, as well as diagnostic codes."

I worked at Coit YEARS ago and they never tracked what techs did over the course of the day and I suspect that it costs the company as a whole tens of thousands of dollars a month in wasteful spending with fuel and labor.

I am just surprised that with Service Monster being the Original Gangsta that it fell 2 decades behind its competition.. same thing happened to video stores 5-6 years ago when they didn't adapt to the changing times.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
What I do. Who I am. Hi I’m Joe and I solve extremely complex business problems with patterns and process. Code warrior. Beautiful line-of-business user experience is my life’s work.

For those that knock ServiceMonster 5, don’t tell anyone, but I invented that version of ServiceMonster (platform 3) in 2005. Remember 2005? The internet was less than 10 years old. Actually we were the first SaaS Company to my knowledge with our first version released in 2003. That’s 2 years before Salesforce. That was almost 10 years ago and everyone eventually adapted that general design.

Now ServiceMonster5 is old school. Too right. I’ve been trying to rebuild ServiceMonster for 4 years! Platform 4 had to be destroyed (thanks’ for seducing me with Silverlight Microsoft!) after 75% of the framework was completed. Business growth is also a good excuse and I’m proud of the path this company has taken.

The people here, the support staff, the management staff, and my engineering team are all top notch. We don't farm anything overseas. All our work is done in-house. And we are killing it! In 2014 we processed over $280,000,000 in invoices in the US alone (AU coming soon!). We continue to add amazing features and connect to companies across the cleaning industry.

I’ve even been able to carve out time to work on ‪#‎ServiceMonster6‬! The framework complete, the development process has been vetted and the next 12 months will be dizzying! I can't wait to put ServiceMonster6 in your hands! *le sigh*

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
LEAK!

Attachments

• Account-SM6.png
    Account-SM6.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 385

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
So Joe, When is the expected release date of SM6?

Your screen shot looks like it's right there with all these other mobile platforms, yes?

Right now I am a transition point where I need better flow between tech and office manager, without the exposure.

For instance, Mikeys new chromebooks for each tech may become obsolete because now it works so much better on an IPAD?

I will preface by saying carpet clean <less that 2% of my business, and Stone restoration requires considerable more information exchange

Reactions: jkowalski

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Well, with VOIP app an ipad is a phone. LTE enabled

Yea...trying to figure best tool for the job at hand.

I also meant to say iPad mini , as that seems best all around for size..
For 10$ a month to add, it's cheaper than phone.

And it better sales tool ( before and after), navigation, battery life, etc.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Screw the ipad, I want them to be able to do invoicing from a smart phone
I agree. It's not asking for the moon.

It's really what I wanted and expected from SM...2 years ago. Still a pain to use on a smartphone.

I want to easily snap pics and add notes on the job too. Keep it all together in a particular account.

Name
I'm Rick James
Don't worry Brent will like it then hate it 5 minutes later...

Its all about finding the best product out there and having the balls to drop it if it doesn't make the grade.. I've learned a lot testing out all these CRM/FSM software.. more importantly what I want out of the software. Trial and error.. but don't worry I will be keeping that to myself with future posts. Lots of good software out there for all the different business models.

You may want to consider tracking your fleet digitally, I am willing to bet it will save you a ton of cashola every month.

Name
I'm Rick James
What I do. Who I am. Hi I’m Joe and I solve extremely complex business problems with patterns and process. Code warrior. Beautiful line-of-business user experience is my life’s work.

For those that knock ServiceMonster 5, don’t tell anyone, but I invented that version of ServiceMonster (platform 3) in 2005. Remember 2005? The internet was less than 10 years old. Actually we were the first SaaS Company to my knowledge with our first version released in 2003. That’s 2 years before Salesforce. That was almost 10 years ago and everyone eventually adapted that general design.

Now ServiceMonster5 is old school. Too right. I’ve been trying to rebuild ServiceMonster for 4 years! Platform 4 had to be destroyed (thanks’ for seducing me with Silverlight Microsoft!) after 75% of the framework was completed. Business growth is also a good excuse and I’m proud of the path this company has taken.

The people here, the support staff, the management staff, and my engineering team are all top notch. We don't farm anything overseas. All our work is done in-house. And we are killing it! In 2014 we processed over $280,000,000 in invoices in the US alone (AU coming soon!). We continue to add amazing features and connect to companies across the cleaning industry.

I’ve even been able to carve out time to work on ‪#‎ServiceMonster6‬! The framework complete, the development process has been vetted and the next 12 months will be dizzying! I can't wait to put ServiceMonster6 in your hands! *le sigh*

That's good to hear and I hope it all works out for you.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Its all about finding the best product out there and having the balls to drop it if it doesn't make the grade.. I've learned a lot testing out all these CRM/FSM software.. more importantly what I want out of the software. Trial and error.. but don't worry I will be keeping that to myself with future posts. Lots of good software out there for all the different business models.

You may want to consider tracking your fleet digitally, I am willing to bet it will save you a ton of cashola every month.

What like $2oo month?
MEH

Not thinking about that kind of stuff, thinking about how i can add $20k month.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom