How do you compete

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Against the vortex if you are a o/o with your 45 blower and a van? How do you sell yourself as the better cleaner? I would like to get a box truck set up some day, but for now I must work with what I have. I have 3 big trucks in my area and one guy with some monster frankenstein machine on a flatbed that likes to talk about how big his machine is.

Thank You

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Personality, clean van and image, gadgets like Rotary Extractors help to impress. Pre vacuum. You can do a great job with a smaller machine, just a little slower.

The Clean Machine

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
You could always try to lie, cheat and steal .. seems to be a lot of that going around .. it must be working !!

Some guy around here sold a bunch of living social coupons then shortly after shut down his number .. I talked to this guy a couple of weeks ago and he was talking about going out of business

steve_64

just explain how they have to charge a lot more to pay for all that. :oldrolleyes:

but you get em just as clean. and you can park right next to the job not at the end of the yard so you dont have to run hoses through thier yard.:p

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If a customer ever asks the difference between your regular-sized truck and a giant one, tell them you don't clean greasy fishing boats. If they ask more questions tell them that the big trucks do have a purpose, but they might be overkill for cleaning homes and would just add to the cost of cleaning.

It's all about confidence Louis. If a big truck (Italian sportscar, Rolex, etc.) makes someone feel bigger or more important, that's their weakness. If you're confident in your own abilities you don't need any of that.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Tell them they are "commercial cleaning units" designed for running dual wands on large commercial projects. That they are really overkill for residential, and more machine than is needed for what they have. Tell them your machine is designed for residential and can clean just as well when running a single wand.

Then as others mentioned, clean it well, dry it well and in the end only you know the difference.

We will run an 805, Performers, Butler's and I can't remember a time when a client even cared to look at what was in their drive or parking lot.

If we had the big units I would also market the "big truck", it only makes sense. How much value is there actually? I'd tend to agree with Ofer, women don't care and they are your client.

Name
Nate W.
Tell them they are "commercial cleaning units" designed for running dual wands on large commercial projects. That they are really overkill for residential, and more machine than is needed for what they have. Tell them your machine is designed for residential and can clean just as well when running a single wand.

Then as others mentioned, clean it well, dry it well and in the end only you know the difference.

We will run an 805, Performers, Butler's and I can't remember a time when a client even cared to look at what was in their drive or parking lot.

If we had the big units I would also market the "big truck", it only makes sense. How much value is there actually? I'd tend to agree with Ofer, women don't care and they are your client.

I've had a few women ask "how big is my unit".......... I lied and said it's small... I can fit everywhere! :rockon:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I cleaned with a floor buffer also known as an OP for years...did 6 figures and tons of reviews from it...than moved up to 45 blower, than 2 machines w/ 45 blower, and now the vortex. All paid for.

I can still go back in time and do a great job w/ the OP.

It's all about how you sell yourself and how clients perceive you.

Reactions: GCCLee and Jeremy N

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I'm happy with my machine, I built it. I have a LG3 for heat but I would like to have more. I have a 175 if needed. I vacuum, moving blankets, corner guards. I have a old roto vac that I ran a 2 inch hose to the head that I haven't used for awhile.

So I need to sell myself and my service and not my equipment.

Name
Nate W.
I'm happy with my machine, I built it. I have a LG3 for heat but I would like to have more. I have a 175 if needed. I vacuum, moving blankets, corner guards. I have a old roto vac that I ran a 2 inch hose to the head that I haven't used for awhile.

So I need to sell myself and my service and not my equipment.

Pretty much... Sell the benefits...

Are you the guy who won the centrum force U-Turn deodorizer @ MF10? If so, how did it work?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Against the vortex if you are a o/o with your 45 blower and a van? How do you sell yourself as the better cleaner? I would like to get a box truck set up some day, but for now I must work with what I have. I have 3 big trucks in my area and one guy with some monster frankenstein machine on a flatbed that likes to talk about how big his machine is.

Thank You

Your not going up against a Vortex......your going up against your self..........
because if for one second you think that a guy that has a monster machine and an ego to match it is better then you....
your in the wrong business.....because you are set up to fail........
who cares what everyone else runs and/or what everyone else uses...
you just worry about you.......

No one cares about what you pull up in.....but they do care about its apperance and how well you take care of it...( it's that image thing )
they want clean carpet..fair price.... good dry times..and if you give them that and stop worrying about everyone else...you will be fine.....

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Your not going up against a Vortex......your going up against your self..........
because if for one second you think that a guy that has a monster machine and an ego to match it is better then you....
your in the wrong business.....because you are set up to fail........
who cares what everyone else runs and/or what everyone else uses...
you just worry about you.......

No one cares about what you pull up in.....but they do care about its apperance and how well you take care of it...( it's that image thing )
they want clean carpet..fair price.... good dry times..and if you give them that and stop worrying about everyone else...you will be fine.....

Outstanding Post!

That made a little puff a smoke come out me azz buddy : )

Sent from da bak seat of a Purple Caddy where the roadkill is real : )

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Yes I'm the guy that won the u turn. It works good.The longer you leave it the better it works.

You can always depend on Jim to tell it like it is.

I was going to rejoin the IICRC and I just got the bill. They want $279 to rejoin just for a tech, Ouch. I used to be a certified firm.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Yes I'm the guy that won the u turn. I works good.The longer you leave it the better it works.

You can always depend on Jim to tell it like it is.

I was going to rejoin the IICRC and I just got the bill. They want $279 to rejoin just for a tech, Ouch. I used to be a certified firm.

You'll hurt HArry's feelingz Yo!

Not sure I will ever be convinced, seems real shady to me.

Name
George Valliant
When the going gets tough, the tough get going

http://youtu.be/lIxUKbV0UEM

the question isn't how to compete with vortex but how vortex is going to compete with you. :madder:

here's a link for free business cards from Vista Prints http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/studio3.aspx?pf_id=B72&combo_id=1036512&referer=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vistaprint.com%2ffree-gallery.aspx%3fpf_id%3dB72%2chttp%3a%2f%2fwww.vistaprint.com%2fvp%2fns%2fdefault.aspx%3fGP%3d3%252f11%252f2014%2b11%253a26%253a36%2bPM%26GPS%3d3127710088%26GNF%3d0&free_studio_gallery=true&rd=1

sometimes i really miss 80's music. todays music ain't got no soul. :oldrolleyes:

Name
George Valliant
Here's a few more inspirational songs to get you motivated Louis.

1. Get Up Early in the Morning.
http://youtu.be/aobIboK_z34

2. When you get rejected, it happens, pull yourself up by your bootstraps then jam to this song:
http://youtu.be/17lkdqoLt44

3. Lay it on the line. twist the throttle wide open and give it all you got.
http://youtu.be/Pz26fcmq3S8

so quit being a pussy Louis :headbang: You want some. so go get some. :rockon:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Just had a client that we did work for yesterday. Was a $477 job for us. Another company had come in and gave a quote and was $150 less than us.

They were really trying hard to get the job. They are a National cleaning and restoration franchise.

Lady really wanted us to do it because she liked our attitude, felt comfortable with us. Asked if I could do better....I gave her 10% off. I was still $100 more.

With the entire "dog & pony" show of making sure we were on our "A" game, we received 2 more calls from her referral.

Sell yourself....sell and believe in your product...and make sure you deliver.

We all at times doubt ourselves. It helps us to make sure we are delivering the best product and service we can.

As far as the discount....was a senior citizen discount for them today :) (great elderly couple that put on the coffee and donuts too!)

Best wishes and continued success.

Mark

Name
George Valliant
Eureka Louis!

It took a few days but I got it!

Are you still monitoring this thread or has Elvis left the building?

Btw, is my old business, A-1 Carpet Cleaning, still in the top three for volume in your city? grin

Jimbo

Louis...just get some size 14 shoes...all your challenges will be solved!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom