How do you compete

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I compete with a franchise that uses aerotechs. I tell potential customers the truth which is their machine is a stronger machine than my butler. I then ask if their place is 10 stories off the ground or if the van has to be parked far away. If the answer is no, I proceed to explain that water can only get so hot and the bells and whistles of their machine don't compare to the intelligent humans I have running my equipment. As stated earlier, I make sure the client is aware that it is overkill and a quality technician is much more important than a quality machine. For a quality o/o running one him or herself, my best defense would be lower price due to lower costs.

Reactions: Ron Werner

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Mark (and others) are right, Louis. I'm a competitive guy too and it always hurts to "lose one". But remember no one (not even Mikey I don't care how much he brags) gets 'em all. You don't need to.

For every guy who "has to have the big truck" there are a 1000 (evidently 10,000 in Topeka) who could care less as long as you "deliver".

Steve

PS The secret is to get your "marketing funnel" bigger. If more people are calling you can let the occasional "big truck mount" guys sail off and not worry about it.

Mikey P

Administrator
For the customers who do take interest in the mechanics of it all you just walk them out to the truck or point it out on your site over the phone and all of a sudden all those past experiences with hwe gone bad are blamed on " those little vans"..

And you'll never know just how effective their presence around town and in traffic is until you own one or two..

Reactions: Erik and BLewis

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Guys always talk about how big there units are. But in this game, technique and work ethic will always beat a big unit! Big is certainly not better!
I know a skilled cleaner with a Legend vs a cleaner with huge Vortex or what have you, can accomplish the same results and dry times no problem.

From my experience small blocks always smoked big blocks on the quarter-mile anyway!

Power to weight ratio. Bruce Lee was 5/7 and 135 pounds and one of the toughest man to ever walk the earth

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
When they do ask about the equipment and they find out I built it that helps. They know I'm not just a cleaner that just bought a machine and call myself a professional.
On a big commercial account I know I will lose to the v.
We have machine wars going on here,getting more vortex and Everest 650. Everyone is talking about there big machine. I also got a lot of low moisture cleaners bashing hwe.

My plan is to buy a cimex and wrap it
with company logo and bubbles.

If all goes well this year I have a 47 blower & a 5cp pump in my garage that I'm going to build another machine with a 30hp Kohler & a lg#4.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Guys always talk about how big there units are. But in this game, technique and work ethic will always beat a big unit! Big is certainly not better!
I know a skilled cleaner with a Legend vs a cleaner with huge Vortex or what have you, can accomplish the same results and dry times no problem.

From my experience small blocks always smoked big blocks on the quarter-mile anyway!

Power to weight ratio. Bruce Lee was 5/7 and 135 pounds and one of the toughest man to ever walk the earth

I had a 340 done to the nuts in a Duster done up as a sleeper back in the day and did a lot of jack rabbit street racing. I had to fill up at the airport with 100/130 av gas. The bigger and more power full the competitor the harder the fell.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I had a 340 done to the nuts in a Duster done up as a sleeper back in the day and did a lot of jack rabbit street racing. I had to fill up at the airport with 100/130 av gas. The bigger and more power full the competitor the harder the fell.

Exactly!

Mike Draper

I cant tell you how many folks come out and look at my truck once I'm on the job and tell me what a neat outfit it is. Event the women do, its actually quite funny. They ask me where I got it and I tell them I built it. Now they are even more impressed. Long story short. My truck didnt get me the job, selling myself and our quality over the phone or on the bid did. Just like like Jim and Mark said. Sell yourself well and provide the quality work to back it up. Thats what earns us our business. One other thing. My equipment is always spotless. Tools get cleaned and rinsed after every job. mats that are brought to each job and booties . I dont let dust bunnies build up on my fans. My pre-spray jug doesn't look like its growing a festering pile of nasty chemical on top. The rotarty machine never have grease or globs of dog hair from the last job. All these things come into play. People notice those things.

Reactions: Erik

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I cant tell you how many folks come out and look at my truck once I'm on the job and tell me what a neat outfit it is. Event the women do, its actually quite funny. They ask me where I got it and I tell them I built it. Now they are even more impressed. Long story short. My truck didnt get me the job, selling myself and our quality over the phone or on the bid did. Just like like Jim and Mark said. Sell yourself well and provide the quality work to back it up. Thats what earns us our business. One other thing. My equipment is always spotless. Tools get cleaned and rinsed after every job. mats that are brought to each job and booties . I dont let dust bunnies build up on my fans. My pre-spray jug doesn't look like its growing a festering pile of nasty chemical on top. The rotarty machine never have grease or globs of dog hair from the last job. All these things come into play. People notice those things.

So true, people do notice every little detail for the most part.

Name
George Valliant
one guy with some monster frankenstein machine on a flatbed.

I'm guessing the guy with the monster Frankenstein machine on a flatbed is A-1 carpet cleaning. Did i nail it? Can you believe i started that business in 1988. That means they will be celebrating their 28th year in business this year. 9 of those years were my blood, sweat and tears bro.

I notice you haven't replied to any of my PM's Louis. Ignore me at your own peril bro.

Have a nice day.

frankenstein__s_monster_by_chidog_01-d305x90_zps70805aa9.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom