I know this is old news, but the no drill zone!!!! Really????

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Matt, I'd mark a template, drop the tank and drill. Through backing plates underneath, bring the bolts up through the deck, then washer and nut them down tightly so they never move again.

Use your template to mark a 3/4" plywood pad. Use a 1 1/4" hole saw to cut openings and set it loosely in place over the bolts. The pad is a spacer. Put your machine on the bolts and snug it home, using large washers.

Now your machine can be removed without the tank ever having to be dropped in the future.

Name your next legitimate child "Stephen." God knows there are enough bastards running around...
I think I'll take that route if and when my plans succeed. I don't know if I'll make the hole as big as 1 1/4". That seems a little too big. I'd like it to be as snug as possible around that bolt, so I think I'll take my time to get that pad just as secure as I want my truck mount to be also.

I knew you guys would have solution to my problem. I called both Jondon and Hydramaster, and both of them made it sound impossible for me to do. Rather discouraging. I was actually considering getting that Fugly ass Dodge van

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I called both Jondon and Hydramaster, and both of them made it sound impossible for me to do.
It could be. I've never looked under one but I think as long as you error on the side of safety you should be fine.
If you run into problems run it over to a welder and tell him what you are trying to do. He could likely build you a substructure or long plates to attach to.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Matt, for me, the plywood pad is only a spacer to give you solid footing above the nut, so your machine isn't suspended in the air. With vibration, those bolts could wallow around in the sheet metal and loosen. Also, round the corners and leading edges so you don't get splinters. Eventually you'll need to replace the plywood, but that is better than replacing the floor of the van.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
That dodge van looks like it got punched in the face and the lower lip is swelled, lol

Sorry Damon

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
STUPID!!!!

I'm trying to see how it's possible to mount a truck mount, and I've seen some Transits with a slide in. So how did they do it?

Is anyone on here have one? Did you install the truck mount yourself? Any tips?
From what I understand, the no drill zones are because the new vans are of a unibody construction. The older vans had a frame that everything was bolted or welded to. In the newer vans, the body is apart of that frame. The reason they went this way is two fold, one there is less metal on the vehical causing weight savings and better fuel economy; two being that in the event of a crash the whole vehicle will crumple around the driver causing less personal injury.
There are areas that you can safely drill without compromising the unibody and a sub frame can be built that bolts in those areas and then bolts to your equipment.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Able 1

Name
Keith
I really see no difference between the new vans and the old vans as far as mounting a truck mount as far as structure and safety.. You mount it to the floor!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom