I loathe the Drimaster!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Is George coming down from New Mex for MF to give his class on cleaning upholstery with a carpet wand?

He did on Joe's board, when BF didn't own it.

To sweeten the deal, I'll chip in and give him my Mytee cool cuffs.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I Googled- "What are the chances that Fred would quit?"

Google answered- "Not a chance!"

Maybe I should Bing it.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I keep thinking about getting a single jet wand or a hydra hoe lol. Don't you get some over spray from the pc tool? do you turn the pressure down on the pc tool and then pen the bypass up? what pressure do you guys run yours at?

Name
Steve Lawrence
Hey Richard,
I really value your opinions and agree with you on most things but I have to differ with you on this one. My comments follow your statements below. (Sorry, I did not see Ofer's excellent post before writing this but I'll leave it up anyway.)

Ok but you asked for it! :p

1. Edges on the head are too sharp. Rub too close to the arm and you could potentially snag fabrics

My techs and I have never snagged a fabric with this tool in over 10 years. I find the metalwork is accurate and smooth.

Funky hanger, fixed would be better. It tends to loosen up and slide over time.

Perhaps it's bulky but doesn't loosen up for us unless you unscrew it. It is smooth and never snags fabric.

3. Cheap valve/ trigger assembly. Does hold up to high heat and corrodes very easily

Valve is the weak point--but they are cheap and swap out very easily even on the job.

4. A pain to clean the jet out. You have to take the whole spray system apart.

Jet cleaning is rarely needed if you install an inline filter.

5. No inline filter to keep the jet from clogging.

See above

6. Connection is up too close to the tool. It will cause the disconnect to pull extra weight on your arm and fatigue quicker. It also gets in the way.

Many tools come this way. Just remove the goofy 1 ft. whip and put a 10 foot whip with in-line filter on it.

7. Vac relief in the way on tool head

Absolutely agree. Original, older tools don't have that. Now we special order ours without a van relief at all.

8. No glide, more drag, fatigue faster

Glides are nice but don't work on internal jet tools.

More benefits of the cheap PMF tool include:
1. Much better at detail and contours than the SS and most other tools.
2. Ergonomic design allows tech to clean a lot with little fatigue.
3. Low cost allows you to have more tools, backups or the ability to dual wand.
4. Rarely need maintenance other than easy valve replacement for $10.
5. Can be set up to use as a trigger less tool by taping the valve "on" and adjusting the pressure so that no spray comes out of the tool when held in mid air but solution reaches fabric when on the fabric.

They come in 3.5" and 4.5" I think. I far prefer the smaller 3.5" as the spray pattern fills out the van orifice completely--I don't think the 4.5 spray completely fills the orifice.

Ok I’ll admit I could only come up with 8. :winky:

For the money it is a good value, especially if you don’t do a lot of upholstery. However if you clean upholstery regularly, I’d invest in a better tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I keep thinking about getting a single jet wand or a hydra hoe lol. Don't you get some over spray from the pc tool? do you turn the pressure down on the pc tool and then pen the bypass up? what pressure do you guys run yours at?
I don't run the PC tool, as I find it to be a cumbersome heavy tool, that is hard both on the wrist and the muscles. Like any tool with an open spray head it does over spray, so running it in a high pressure will be a fairly 'moist' experience :winky:. However, totally indestructible.

The hydra hoe for upholstery though, is a thing of great beauty and finesse. Disregard the 'old skool fool' :winky:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey Richard,
I really value your opinions and agree with you on most things but I have to differ with you on this one. My comments follow your statements below.
I think an upholstery tool is a personal decision, much like a wand. I don't look at you and Ofer being wrong.....well :winky:.....not so much as having a different preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Steve Lawrence

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You should listen to Steve more frequently Skool man.

But we got to admit that for a virtual cleaner, Richard sure knows a lot.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The drimaster was and still is an over priced, over rated plastic POS.
I
the guys that think they're great only clean "clean" fabric, are clueless or paid so damn much for the plastic POS they're too embarrassed to say it';s anything but great ...

not unlike the SS upl tool
better cleaning tool, true
great ergos for sure ....but way over priced for such a light duty rinky-dink plastic tool

..L.T.A.

Reactions: ruff and Russ T.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The US postal is still an over rated, over priced delivery system!

See Rico,
Art told you.
Steve told you.
Now Ruff's telling you.
I've been telling you.

Who are you waiting for? Marty? Celestial intervention? The return of the prodigal?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
images

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Although many upholstery tools are high priced, there must be some costs associated to R & D with the production of these relatively small production runs to regain costs of making them.

I imagine that to design and set-up tooling for the molds would also not be cheap.

I don't like having to pay the high price for upholstery tools, but it does cost money to make them and unlike motor vehicles, the number of upholstery tools produced is relatively small.

It's taken me decades ( & many dollars ), to find a couple that I am happy with and also comfortable to my bodies requirements.

I still much prefer the Sapphire Scientific & the HydriKinetic over any others, even though I also carry some others in the van at all times for particular jobs.

The amount one can make with a fine upholstery tool, I believe, far outweighs the initial cost of purchase.

Buying an expensive tool that is inferior in quality, or not suitable for the job, sure does leave a sour taste in your mouth, as well as a hole in the hip pocket nerve.

Manufacturers that produce tools that are a disgrace to our industry should take note of where their head is at, because not all upholstery cleaners have their head in the same place.

head-up-ass-1.jpg

:yoda:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom