I might be pulling a trailer again very soon

Able 1

Name
Keith
Reading back through all this, it sounds like it is pretty much like having a CDL..

Is there something on your license that states the condition you have? Or is the DOT number directly linked to YOUR license? So you couldn't have an employee drive your rig even though it doesn't require a CDL?

Biggest danger on the road is people texting, or checking how many likes they got for what they ate for breakfast on (look at me) Facebook..

Reactions: Old Coastie

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Reading back through all this, it sounds like it is pretty much like having a CDL..

Is there something on your license that states the condition you have? Or is the DOT number directly linked to YOUR license? So you couldn't have an employee drive your rig even though it doesn't require a CDL?

Biggest danger on the road is people texting, or checking how many likes they got for what they ate for breakfast on (look at me) Facebook..
I’m gonna double check on that, but I’m almost certain that this is for a normal drivers license.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'm sure it is.. I had a CDL, you are driving a U-Haul like said above..

So if you were to say f it, "I'll hire someone to go on his own" how would the DOT number be linked to you?

Don't ask the government, they just want to piss in your Cheerios! The more you ask them the more focus they will have on you.. They don't make money unless they get yours!

I would tend to lean with Bob, put the DOT in your wife's name.. "If the government going to screw it, go with Bob Pruitt!"

Your rig looks great, and I would hate for you to throw it all away!!

I personally would just talk with a lawyer that specializes in this area, like tomorrow!

roro

Name
Ross Craig
I wish I could.
We were faced with a similar situation. In our country the cut-off weight is 6 ton. The fix suggested to us by the regulatory authorities ( which I found unbelievable at first) was to de-rate the vehicle. It involved having welders cut holes in the chassis. This required a transport engineers sign off.

Everyone involved shook their heads at the authorities suggestion but that is what we ended up doing. Making the chassis weaker reduced the gross to about 5.9 tonne.

Other thing is don't employ lard-asses as weights are taken with driver and passengers in the vehicle.
roro

Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve_64

That'll screw with U-Haul and other truck rentals. Anyone can rent a 5 ton box truck. What about RVs.

Just because a vehicle has DOT number you don't need a CDL to drive it up to a certain weight. Not sure the numbers. Over 10000 lbs the vehicle gets a DOT. Anyone with a valid license can drive it. Not all box trucks reach that weight but Michigan wants it to have a DOT anyway to increase funds but it screws a lot of small owner operator businesses.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Just because a vehicle has DOT number you don't need a CDL to drive it up to a certain weight. Not sure the numbers. Over 10000 lbs the vehicle gets a DOT. Anyone with a valid license can drive it. Not all box trucks reach that weight but Michigan wants it to have a DOT anyway to increase funds but it screws a lot of small owner operator businesses.
Keep in mind every state is different. Like California. It's a different world all together.

Reactions: steve_64

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Matt, I wouldn't wait three months to see your Doctor. I would camp out in the waiting room until he sees you for 5 minutes. There's bound to be a cancellation where they can fit you in.
I'll do what you say to get that letter, and if for some reason which is possible after all this shit I can't get get it, I'm just gonna start all over. I'm gonna put my setup for sale complete because it'll be harder to sell without a truck mount in it. I think that'll be the best way to get the most out of my investment.

I'll just lease a Butler. After all my headaches with my past 2 Fkin trucks breaking down, the truck mount headaches since 2013, and now this, I'm not gonna put my beautiful Titan back in that trailer. A Brand new Butler every 3-5 years sounds like the most stress free way to go.

I'm gonna get another physical today from a guy who claims that he'll pass me after reading all the information we sent him. And if I don't pass, make an attempt to go to my neurologist and fail, or the state kicks back my med card saying that I'm not qualified...I'm putting my dream setup for sale. If anyone wants a truck mount/box truck setup, this is the best from all my hard work in it. And I made sure it'll have very few/if any problems for the next several years.

If you can spread the word to all your friends who might be in the market, I would appreciate it. I hate to start thinking this way, but I feel it'll be the best way to go.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Nah, it’s not his fault. I’ve been drueling over a setup like this way before I met him

Mikey P

Administrator
I blame Marty. If he hadn't rode you so hard on the trailer.

I believe the only right thing for him to do is trade you even up for his Cleanco. :shifty:

:biggrin:

Yep, I blame him too.

And I blame Rob for getting Damon into that 870 he doesn't need.

Two influencial idiots in a pod...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:shifty:

I waz just kiddin. :redface:

I don't know the Rob story. I haven't been there since the first week he started that bored. :winky:

870 is a beast. Still not a bad move, more machine than he needs but if he wants to dual wand he has the ability.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yep, I blame him too.

And I blame Rob for getting Damon into that 870 he doesn't need.

Two influencial idiots in a pod...
Hey! I love my machine. And soon it will be paid off. :) But thank you for your jab, it drives me to prove all you chubbies wrong. Got a huge dual wanding FEMA job coming up. It's got 870 written all over it......... Vortex-Boy

Just to be clear, it was actually this video that turned the tide for me and made me go with Sapphire. RA had nothing to do with it. We're not talking about Amtex here.

Last edited:

steve_64

I'll do what you say to get that letter, and if for some reason which is possible after all this shit I can't get get it, I'm just gonna start all over. I'm gonna put my setup for sale complete because it'll be harder to sell without a truck mount in it. I think that'll be the best way to get the most out of my investment.

I'll just lease a Butler. After all my headaches with my past 2 Fkin trucks breaking down, the truck mount headaches since 2013, and now this, I'm not gonna put my beautiful Titan back in that trailer. A Brand new Butler every 3-5 years sounds like the most stress free way to go.

I'm gonna get another physical today from a guy who claims that he'll pass me after reading all the information we sent him. And if I don't pass, make an attempt to go to my neurologist and fail, or the state kicks back my med card saying that I'm not qualified...I'm putting my dream setup for sale. If anyone wants a truck mount/box truck setup, this is the best from all my hard work in it. And I made sure it'll have very few/if any problems for the next several years.

If you can spread the word to all your friends who might be in the market, I would appreciate it. I hate to start thinking this way, but I feel it'll be the best way to go.

I'd just start looking for a decent van. Swap it out and sell just the box truck.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
B46BC7CF-4D99-4DF5-B16D-666CCA5FCE44.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom