I think my Little Giant is too close to my C4

Mikey P

Administrator
the oil valve cover has gotten so out of shape the even with a safety wire and thick teflon tape around the cap threads, I have oil leaking out from under the yellow cap once the unit is hot.

20130309_091933_zps4363fb50.jpg

20130309_091952_zpsf863dde5.jpg

you can see how close in this photo..

20130309_091846_zps7dcef5a5.jpg

Les sent me a new new valve cover but I'm thinking I better create a heat shield to prevent further warping.

Any one else have this issue?

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
but than again, I'm guess that the cover is being warped from the heat, it could just be faulty. its darn thick plastic.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
but than again, I'm guess that the cover is being warped from the heat, it could just be faulty. its darn thick plastic.

I've seen more Kohler fill caps leak than not.
Just recently had a guy come in with a engine knock.
Brand new engine the fill cap was not seating correctly. (piss poor design)

My own 38hp Kohler has the biggest pos fill cap design on it and it also had factory defects in the valve cover oring.

So I wouldn't be suprised to see a defective part.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Even though your LG is close I doubt that it is the cause of the cap warping. More than likely it's the heat from the motor itself and maybe the cap it made of the wrong material. That plastic igniter your have attached to the LG seems to take the heat.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Mike like lockhart said get some sheetmetal from a race shop nearby. Glue some insulation on it. Make a divider. My silencer box in the Vortex was barely warm and made like this.

Not sure what insulation they used but the fuzzy side was facing the silencer.I dont think the heater is the main cause though. My #3 doesn't get that hot.

Mikey P

Administrator
20130309_133511_zpscfe153a9.jpg

new cap/cover.

Did I hear that some glass chined pussy from another forum thinks this is a Judson bashing thread?

If I somehow over looked the fact that Judson owns Kholer or is responsible for Greenie's decision for placing the heater so close to the motor than I suppose it is :oldrolleyes:

I in no way hold Les, Dick or Jud responsible for this turn of minor events.

Becker

Name
Becker
Oil manifold.. LOL

I'm converting a unit from heat Exchange to Propane.. Winter took it tole on the heat exchanger. :(
Spokane get cold. Sub zero, older van with air leaks.
On this unit I'm looking forward to propane. I'll be sure to mount the giant back a bit.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I walled off my little giant on three sides for safety reasons. I've heard of carpet pad or some other crap shifting and causing a fire. I also elevated mine. If there is a leak, propane is heavier than air and it will flow out the door. Also, put a mirror under it, incase I need to light it with a bar b q lighter.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Oil manifold.. LOL

I'm converting a unit from heat Exchange to Propane.. Winter took it tole on the heat exchanger. :(
Spokane get cold. Sub zero, older van with air leaks.
On this unit I'm looking forward to propane. I'll be sure to mount the giant back a bit.

I thought you moved back to the wet side?

I would go with a kero Northstar if I went burner on a TM.

Reactions: SamIam

Mike Draper

no prob's with mine. I would say it is from engine heat and a bad part as well. the LG doesn't create much heat to the side. Mine in within half inch of carpet and it has never melted or deformed the carpet. However, at the top of my LG I do hae a heat sheield that protects the wall.

Mikey P

Administrator
It's awful thick plastic on the valve cover and the cap has never turned this hard so I'm going to go with it being a faulty cover.

I'm going to replace it today while Harper and Foster sit on Allsixofus and cry to the world about how I'm Judson bashing.

btw, Marty thinks he has the exact same issue on his Kohler Command 27

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
btw, Marty thinks he has the exact same issue on his Kohler Command 27

That's the engine (27hp) that was brought to me that the fill cap was not sealing correctly.
From sealed to unsealed was less than a 1/4" turn and literally took no effort to tighten it against the oring.

Reactions: hogjowl

Mikey P

Administrator
Exactly.

This new cover takes considerable effort to close the cap.

I believe this motor is not used on the C4 anymore.

Last edited:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Off the subject , but what kind of hose is that running the propane to your lg heater?

Thank You

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I need to get some hose to run from my belly tank to the LG and IDK what kind of hose to buy.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I guess I will save my old valve cover if I replace my motor, The old style goes on like screw top.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I need to get some hose to run from my belly tank to the LG and IDK what kind of hose to buy.

I just go to the local propane shop.
They give me the hose I need rated for propane (cut it to fit) and special fittings you put on with two wrenches.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Mike, search engines are pretty smart now a days, they use your past search criteria to help future searches

Might wanna get a seperate compute for that soft stuff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom