Is my Heat Exchanger broken?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
aluma seal is just a temporary fix. If the hx was leaking, it will leak again.
Yes, you are probably right. I am prepared to change out both Hx, but right now I have too many jobs lined up. When my auto mechanic pressure tested the system it lost pressure, but pretty slowly so the leak was probably small. Who knows how much time I bought myself here. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
In the middle of October I usually go to Germany for a few weeks, to see my parents. That would be the perfect time to get it fixed. I would love it if I could keep the machine going until then.
My truckmount mechanic at LPM said that they have never seen an internal HX leak before. He thinks something else might have caused my overheating/ coolant overflow issue. So the new Cap and new CO2 sensors were indicated as a possible fix for the code my check engine light was kicking out. That had to be done. At least it couldn't have hurt.
Today I did two jobs, I kept checking the coolant level... so far so good.... tomorrow I have four. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Make sure you don't smell antifreeze when you're cleaning the carpets. I think if the hx's are leaking, you will be putting cleaning solution into your coolant system when under pressure. When the unit is not working, you may have coolant enter your cleaning solution. If you can smell antifreeze, just stop because you will be spreading that out on the custies carpet.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You can test the hx. Disconnect from the trucks cooling system and pressurize the coils. Or easier way is to connect your water supply to the heat exchangers and plug one end, use a ball valve so you can flush the air out and then shut off the flow. If you have a leak, the hx will start leaking out of cooling connections.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
they are coiled real tight together.....
and vibrate against each other till finally....a hole! i used to open up one end put some air pressur through it...if yor lucky you can get someone to tig a small hole shut.....OR you can buy the appropriate amount of stainless tube and bend it around a mandrel to to proper shape.........OR you could jus BUY a replacment from the manufacture.....

THIS is the best machine ever made its called a STEAM GENIE and it was indestructible......stopped selling them back about 7 years ago when i retired

1293563285258.jpg

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Love the look of that machine Bob. Did you guys make slide ins too. We used to have a carpet cleaner in New Westminster called Steam Genie, did you ever sell any to Canadians?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i loved 'em too...damn things would last forever........
i sold eight or nine right here under Mikeys nose.......:clap:

I thought Willy and all the other Canucks were porty people

no slide ins...thats blasphemy!

Last edited:

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
For now to be sure I'll start the job by running some water through my system into a bucket. I figure that should flush out what might have gotten into the system while i was just driving. I'm thinking I should be able to smell that and possibly even see a discoloration in the water. Once the machine is running I just can't see how any coolant could end in my pressure line.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bob, I know you think you are really clever and it's obvious you enjoy your little digs and put downs.
Most people here on this board are really kind and genuinely interested in sharing what they know. I have learned a lot from them over the years and I appreciate that they take the time to be part of this great forum.
Unfortunately you are not one of those people. You are not here to be helpful, you are in it just for yourself. From what I can tell you seem to be a completely unpleasant individual. But, whatever the issues might be that you are struggling with on a personal level, I am tired of your comments.
I'll be putting you on ignore status.
Listen to Bob on this one. That stuff will brick up many HXs.

Tim Page

Name
Tim Page
We have a CDS same age with more than 11000 hours worked . We know the machine backwards having removed the entire setup more than once .
You have a leaking heat exchanger . We had the same problem several years back .
By the way no coolant will migrate to your cleaning solution . What will happen is damage to your ( blockages ) radiator depending on what rinse you are using . This in turn affects your vehicle cooling system as your radiator is not operating as it should .
Replace both heat exchangers and get your radiator flushed and tested .
I say both exchanger's because it will minimize downtime if the other goes .

Reactions: dealtimeman
Name
Brad Gouveia
I had a 92 Dodge CDS. Mine had 3 heat exchangers, standard is suppose to be 2. So I just took out the bad one and was fine for the next 6 years until I sold it. I don't know if I would replace both if you don't have too. They are about $500 I think. There really is not any down time as you still can clean with a leaky one and it only take 30-60 minutes to swap one out.

Just what I know.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
I was quoted $600.00CDN per coil from Fibreclean in Canada. I wasn't in a rush as my Xr's are still performing well going on 16 years. My first set died from hardwater deposits in less than two years. I had a local radiator shop twist me a set of new ones for $3bills at the time. What a deal, they aren't rocket appliances.
After getting the BS routine from Fibreclean, I explored a little and found a great company that would work with me, doing a small redesign of the coils, and producing them for a great price.
I am just finalizing this project now, with refurbished reservoirs, brand new coils, stainless hardware and new brass fittings for less than a grand.
That being said, look around for a set of late model Xr's. I also picked up a set of Cleancos for $5bills.
You may not have the luxury of time, but it can be done. For my next set I will fab my own, after all it's just copper coil we're bending.

Name
Brad Gouveia
The exhangers on CDS are long tubes. I took it to a local shop and asked if they thought they could fix. They cut it open and sit is just a about 50 tubes that so back and forth not fixing these.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
i loved 'em too...damn things would last forever........
i sold eight or nine right here under Mikeys nose.......:clap:

I thought Willy and all the other Canucks were porty people

no slide ins...thats blasphemy!
I've got to slide ins, none half as good as a steam genie. If I get the diesel heater working on the latest one, at least it will be hot. still about 2 weeks away.

Reactions: sweendogg

Tim Page

Name
Tim Page
I paid $3300 in Australia for 2 about 8 years ago .
Our CDS truckmounts our built with diesel's only and fitted differently to the US . The heat exchangers are fitted under the waste tank which needs to removed to get to them .
It took several weeks to get them from the US was I was not going to risk the other one going after all that so I replaced both .
The machine has served us well since then

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
The exhangers on CDS are long tubes. I took it to a local shop and asked if they thought they could fix. They cut it open and sit is just a about 50 tubes that so back and forth not fixing these.
if you put an air chuck on that HX can find the one thats leaking....run a mig wire though it so you won't forget which one it is....go cut the other end off and then TIG both ends closed ...weld end caps back together.......my welder did dozens of these fo me and charged me $30 per HX..........
BTW...ther are only 23 small tubes in those!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
The company that made these for me specialize in cold water gas/propane & electric cleaning systems and ship all over the world, i'm pretty sure they wouldn't use "just any copper".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom