Just topped 1 million dollars for the first time!

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
I refer any job we can not handle to another cleaner who has the same business practices and ethics as I do. I'm not adding any more crews until I see what happens AFTER the holidays. This economy is at a very pivitol point right now.

Ken Snow said:
I have to say I agree with Richard, at the very least there is lots of money being left on the table being booked up that far in advance. For us 2-4 days is perfect and if we are consistantly booked out 5 days plus its time to add another crew.

Greenie

rhyde said:
You do much more than carpet cleaning so what % of that million is carpet?

That is really the question of the day here.

My question is how much is a "team" responsible for annually, whether that be one man and a porty or a two man crew, what kind of annual sales does mike expect from a truck on the road?

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Mike, what took you so long to start posting here?

I know you have the type of personality to appreciate the crew here.

Anyhow, I'm glad you stepped up to the plate.

Let me ask another question, what about your area makes it ideal for your business plan?

and are there any areas in the US where you feel your biz would not work?

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
I know I'm going to catch sheeeeyat for this because its ALWAY"S been drilled into the average carpet cleaners head that upsell, upsell, upsell is the way to go. Although you can add to your ticket price I agree but it's been done so long and by so many that the average customer has come to expect it and in MY OPINION (and only my opinion) it has soured most. They are allowed to "ask" if they wish to have upholstery cleaned. They are not allowed to "sell" the cleaning or protectant for that matter. They are only allowed to ASK. I do not allow ANY pushy, intrusive or abrasive sales tactics of any kind. If a customer tells me they felt like they were getting a hard sell from ANY of my employees they are usually let go. It's one of the things that seperates us from the rest of pack. I've heard all the boos and hisses before from the guys at the supply shop but most of them are struggling to stay afloat and have to upsell. We don't have to sell anything to them.....never have. We are there to clean and ONLY clean. It's a small part of my business plan that has proven to be worth it's weight in gold.

Mikey P said:
What upsells are your techs encouraged or allowed to UP-Sell?

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
Honestly I just heard of this place a few weeks ago. I'm not the best at posting because I rarely have the time anymore...be it here or PCN. I will try and stay active as much as time allows. There is nothing in particular about my area that makes my plan work. It's just that the average customer has been nickled and dimed to death for so long they have grown scared to call a cleaner fo rfear of a hard sell most of the time. They are tired of having to read fine print and worry about what its going to cost them to get the carpets cleaned. Most of them are simply tired of it. I'm sure ther are always areas where my plan would not go over so well. What are those areas... I don't know but one of the BEST features about fixed price cleaning is that you can adjust it to your area.

Mikey P said:
Hey Mike, what took you so long to start posting here?

I know you have the type of personality to appreciate the crew here.

Anyhow, I'm glad you stepped up to the plate.

Let me ask another question, what about your area makes it ideal for your business plan?

and are there any areas in the US where you feel your biz would not work?

Greenie

Unless you are 6'8 I don't think you can use the name Big Mike around here?

How bout' Kinda Big Mike?

Or Meat eater Mike?

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
My teams are not "responsible" for a set dollar amount. In fact their dollar amount is almost always set before they leave the shop. However... on AVERAGE each truck usually does around $750 a day more or less. And on most occassions my crews are back in time to have dinner with their family. Granted... not all of the 1 million has been carpet cleaning. We also offer complete janitorial service for offices. So to say ALL the 1 million came from carpet/upholstery cleaning would not be right. However it certainly is the lions share.

Greenie said:
rhyde said:
You do much more than carpet cleaning so what % of that million is carpet?

That is really the question of the day here.

My question is how much is a "team" responsible for annually, whether that be one man and a porty or a two man crew, what kind of annual sales does mike expect from a truck on the road?

CleanEvo

Hi Big Mike... welcome to the board.

What is "fixed pricing", is that different than by "the room" pricing?

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
YES... I still go out and clean carpet from time to time. I have a contest with my employees (carpet and janitorial) called "Switch places with the boss day." For any employee that has no late shows, sick calls or early leaves each 90 days...their names go into a drawing. I draw the name of all eligable people and whomever's name I draw gets a day off the following week. They also get paid what I get paid for a day. I go and take their place in the field. If it's cleaning carpets or scrubbing toilets...I do it. They are also given a gift certificate for 2 at one of the local steak houses in the area, a $100 gas card and their name is entered in our end of the year contest. If their name is drawn as winner for that contest they get a $1000 cash bonus and their choice of utility bill paid for 6 months! I believe that my employees are what make this company. We are a team..we are one company. Nobody is better than the other. I take interest in each and every one of my employees life and well being. I want them to WANT to work here... not show up because it a job. I also want them to take part in their family as well. I never want work to intrude on someones family life. To me family is the most important thing in the world. Each person gets their birthday off with pay, their spouses (if married) off with pay, and LEGITIMATE children's bdays off with pay, wedding anniversary off with pay, most holidays off but only Christmas, Thanksgiving and New years day off with pay. If they are a veteran they get veterans day off with pay along with my undying gratitude for their service to our country. I do not offer health insurance as of yet but will start doing that next year more than likely. I also have an open door policy...they can come and talk to me about anything personal or business. I try to show them that I care... just like we do our customers. I have very little turnaround with employees.

Mikey P said:
Do you ever go out and clean carpet?

can I call you BM for short?

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
You don't have to steal anything from me. I'm always happy to share. :D

Mikey P said:
I like this guy.

Maybe I'll steal his biz plan since I can get Mytees at cost :shock:

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bane Clene (Wm F Bane Co) used to be one of the largest in the Indy market. They tended to be upmarket. Do you bump into them much??

Mikey P

Administrator
Well you sure blew Ken Snow's employee perk package out of Lake Eireee.

If his chimps show up all 364 days in one year they get to take their pick of his left over Fabio romance novels.

Greenie

You are to be commended for your policy, sounds like a nice place to work.

but...really, no health care? that would be tough in Cali.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I agree with your stand on up-selling except I go even further. I have NEVER asked a customer about an additional service and never will. IMO, that route is the quickest way to build trust with the customer. When the customers trust you, they will initiate conversations about other services. Heck, I have customers phoning me every week asking who I reccomend for every home service you can think off. I have maintain a list of the best in the business. Then I ask them to phone me back and report on 'if they are still as good as they once were.' They always do.

Trust is where it's at. The great thing about trust, is posers can't fake it for very long. If you are a cheater, liar or thief, then your business will be never gain the customers trust.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Bill, i have to disagree with you. As BM said...no upselling...but "ask". That's a great policy. But you're not even asking. Just because you're asking if they'd like additional rooms cleaned or upholstery cleaned doesn't mean you're a "liar, cheater or thief". Trust is still gained...it's how you treat their home; how you perform your job and how you carry yourself. If you're offering additional services that benefit your custy's, it's a win/win.

BTW, BM...glad to have you on this board. You sound like a stand up guy who treats his employees the way they should be treated. Congrats on hitting the Million mark!

Mikey P

Administrator
and if your doubting my natural born talent at being able to give a correct assessment of a person's real personality by how they post, I would suggest you ask yourself, "Brian do I really want to doubt the king of all cleaning boards at this moment?"

Cuzz you know I always hit a bullseye.

dude!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Great ideas big Mike, I like the veterans dayoff for veterans. Mikey we only require our people to work about 240 days a year, the rest are voluntary & most odf our people choose to work 280-300 +

Back
Top Bottom