Just topped 1 million dollars for the first time!

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
Well that depends on what you call not making squat? If you're refering to the fact that they are hourly then I guess you may have a point. However, they all get 40hrs a week (at least) which is more than MILLIONS of Americans can say right now. Don't believe me... check out the latest unemployment figures. Although they may not make as much as a cleaner who gets commission on upselling the customer, they do get quite a few perks that most don't. Numerous paid days off, paid holidays, anniversarry and birthdays...all paid. They also get sick leave and personal leave...all paid. I have contest with cash give aways, switch places with the boss day and quite a few other events. I usually throw a bbq at my home every quarter for them and their family. We have had a Christmas party each year and they all get a nice holiday bonus each year along with gift baskets and a turkey or ham. And starting next year they will all have health insurance. This not only applies to the carpet cleaners but my janitorial staff as well. I also make sure each truck has a cooler with cold drinks in it each day before they leave. Not much perhaps but enough to keep the vast majority happy. We have only lost 2 employees in 3.5 years so I must be getting something right somewhere? I had an employee tell me today that they really enjoyed working here and the fact that they feel like family and part of a real team. They also complimented me on the way I go over and above for all my employees and their family when it's needed. Although they don't make as much as some, they are all EMPLOYED at a time when millions are not and with a business that is rapidly growing at a time when others are not. Would I like to pay them more? Of course. Will I pay them more...of course. They all get raises each year to go along with the other things I offer. Maybe not the highest paid profession around but I don't get many complaints. And when we start franchising they will all get the opportunity to get in on the ground floor at a price given only to employees.

Fred Homan said:
If I recall right....Your guys do not make squat.... :shock:

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
In most cases they do pre vac. Sometimes the home owner has done it before we get there though. We DO NOT splash and dash..never have never will. They stay as long as needed to get the job done. Every once in a while a spot will come back but that's the nature of the business. Overall we have very little problems and a higher than 96% repeat customer rate.

Ron Werner said:
This is where I look at my busn, how I clean, can I clean faster, can I do things faster than I'm doing, can I skip some steps to speed up. It seems to be all about time and getting through "enough" jobs in a day to ave $600+
I'd be more like the guy you knew that was in busn for 16yrs, though maybe I am more thorough than he.
I have my following because lots of people got tired of cleaners being in and out so fast, didn't vacuum, spots returned/weren't flushed out.
Its hard to go backward. or would it be forward.
You're guys don't prevac do they?

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
We have several plans we are trying to decide on right now. I want to make sure we pick the best we can but my intentions are not to have them pay into it. At least not now anyway. Who knows...if Osama...er...I mean Obama gets his way It will be a mute point. Or will it? LOLOL!

Fred Homan said:
Health insurance....Will they have to pay in to it?

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
It is coming along quite well. It's steady for sure. We have finally established ourself around the city and state as a legit cleaner for stones and it is an untapped market in this area...for the most part anyway. Hardest part is getting started and marketing to the family of the deceased.

Odin said:
how is the tomb stone cleaning business

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
BigMike said:
We do NOT run any subs at all. I did that one time when I first started and will never do that again.

We use only two types of portables. The Speedster and the Ninja. Both are excellent units.

Mikey P said:
Bigmike,

Are your techs sub contractors?

With your experience in portables I'd love to know what machine works best for your type of company?

None of our tech are subs. EVERY employee that works for us goes through the exact same hiring process as everyone else does. They must all pass a rigid background check and credit check and drug test before they are hired by my company. The best machine I think is the Ninja 400 with heat. Although we don"t use the heat that often but it is nice to have. Our machines go from 100psi up to 1500 psi if needed. The Rotovac 360 is also a very powerful tool to have in your war chest, Works wonders on some of the dirtiest carpets I have ever seen.

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
slipperywhenwet said:
I'd pee myself if i could top $25,000 in sales for a year. I do this part time and it is lucrative considering I never have put more than 20 hours in a week, but then again I never have broken $1,000 in sales in a week yet :(
I don't have the courage to leave my other job, though there are days I swear I'll never come back and go at this full time. I do believe that this can honestly make a good chunk of change, but $1,000,000 in sales seems unachievable in my mind, which is probably why I never will.

My office is an open door. Please feel free to call me and I will help you make $2000 a week...easily. And it is all with no upselling! CRAZY HUH? Nothing happens overnight but I do believe I can truly help you.... all FREE OF CHARGE of course! Take me up on my offer like the last 12 people did. All of whom were about to lose their business... not anymore. Some of them have more work than they can handle and we are booked to Feb19th! Call me.. I think I can help. 317-847-6952 all I ask is that if I do help you and things go good for you that you will pass that favor forward to another struggling cleaner.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
gregcole said:
Weird to start posting on this topic 2 months later don't you think?
Ahem, mmm, Greg, maybe unlike some of us Mike has a life and doesn't feel the need to compulsively check this board 8-10 times per day??? :) It sounds like Big Mike is a kindred spirit to you in many ways. Now I just need to break him away for five days March 15-19 ...

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS I hope you folks have a great 2010. Remember Nick Paolella's favorite saying: "Find a job you love and you will never work another day in your life."

BTW Greg, I'm still waiting for your "success story". Less time on MB and more time writing your "bio" ...

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/sec ... ss-stories

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Steve Toburen said:
gregcole said:
Weird to start posting on this topic 2 months later don't you think?
Ahem, mmm, Greg, maybe unlike some of us Mike has a life and doesn't feel the need to compulsively check this board 8-10 times per day??? :) It sounds like Big Mike is a kindred spirit to you in many ways. Now I just need to break him away for five days March 15-19 ...

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS I hope you folks have a great 2010. Remember Nick Paolella's favorite saying: "Find a job you love and you will never work another day in your life."

BTW Greg, I'm still waiting for your "success story". Less time on MB and more time writing your "bio" ...

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/sec ... ss-stories

LOL- Nice Steve. I will get you one soon. Let me get finished counting all the loot!

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson
We just had our largest month on record for carpet cleaning. $76,200 (gross) for the month of May. All on our single pricing format too!

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while but it's been busy around here to say the least. I hope everyone is doing well and business is going good.

Big Mike

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Mike if that is your biggest month ever and you did 1 million as of Oct last year can I ask you how you add? Your average as of Oct 22(?) last year would have been over $100,000 a month, sorry I don't get it?

F

FB7777

his website says that he does Carpet Cleaning and janitorial services

If he did over $76K in just carpet cleaning for the month of May then he's doing fantastic!

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
BigMike said:
We just had our largest month on record for carpet cleaning. $76,200 (gross) for the month of May. All on our single pricing format too!

Now I'm depressed. :?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Big Mike's company has 52 reviews on Google Maps :shock: ...now I'm really depressed. :oops:

Scott Rogers

Greg Crowley said:
Mike if that is your biggest month ever and you did 1 million as of Oct last year can I ask you how you add? Your average as of Oct 22(?) last year would have been over $100,000 a month, sorry I don't get it?

you need to read better. He said 1 million carpet, uph, and janitorial.

The 76k is carpet cleaning only.

Good job BIG MIKE!!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Touche but wasn't that already pointed out by Fred? I did read the thyread....Last year and I read the first page now it seemed he was talking about carpet cleaning on both

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Ok I've read all the threads and very interesting I might add. BigMike, I got a big ole question. You're running portables, how is the noise, hot exit vac tank smelling air viewed by the customers. I had a glitch in my TM three weeks ago had to finish the stairs with my Mytee; I felt I had to warn the living shit out of my customers the pending noise. And how do they view you stopping, filling up a bucket and pouring that into a toilet? And how do they view you turning on the bath tub hot water to fill that bucket, over and over and over.

This I gotta know.

Mike Draper

royalkid said:
Bill, i have to disagree with you. As BM said...no upselling...but "ask". That's a great policy. But you're not even asking. Just because you're asking if they'd like additional rooms cleaned or upholstery cleaned doesn't mean you're a "liar, cheater or thief". Trust is still gained...it's how you treat their home; how you perform your job and how you carry yourself. If you're offering additional services that benefit your custy's, it's a win/win.

BTW, BM...glad to have you on this board. You sound like a stand up guy who treats his employees the way they should be treated. Congrats on hitting the Million mark!

Royal Kid, you should ask BM if he got his customers through blatantly false advertising like the hucksters at your company do. (rhetorical ques)

Mike Draper

BigMike said:
In most cases they do pre vac. Sometimes the home owner has done it before we get there though. We DO NOT splash and dash..never have never will. They stay as long as needed to get the job done. Every once in a while a spot will come back but that's the nature of the business. Overall we have very little problems and a higher than 96% repeat customer rate.

Ron Werner said:
This is where I look at my busn, how I clean, can I clean faster, can I do things faster than I'm doing, can I skip some steps to speed up. It seems to be all about time and getting through "enough" jobs in a day to ave $600+
I'd be more like the guy you knew that was in busn for 16yrs, though maybe I am more thorough than he.
I have my following because lots of people got tired of cleaners being in and out so fast, didn't vacuum, spots returned/weren't flushed out.
Its hard to go backward. or would it be forward.
You're guys don't prevac do they?

I dont mean to be negative, but a 96% yearly retention rate is a myth IMO. I'm not even going to ask you to prove it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom