Ken snow needs help to quite smoking

-JB-

Name
JB
Swing by Rochester NY, I know a few guys now "dealing" w/a life of heavy smoking, including my father, all in different stages of C.O.P.D., both look like concentration camp victim's, none of the three can walk much more than 500 ft w/out becoming winded and needing to rest, the one guy can't go much more than 50 ft., won't use his oxygen, because he still smoking, another burnt his eyebrows off smoking w/oxygen, it's not funny at all, all three still smoke like fiends. It's really disheartening to see the ramifications :cry: .

I hope you will have better luck this time, us hacks here on MB need you around, so ultimately this is a post for self preservation.

GOOD LUCK,

YOU CAN DO IT!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Thanks John, I truly appreciate the support and I am sorry that those people in your life are having such a rough time.
Ken

G

My wife is goin' on a week and a half, cold turkey...after 45 years at TWO packs a day! She even is walking around her office twice a day on her breaks.... I'm going on FIVE years now!

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Ken smoking

Ken,
I know that you have tried everything in the world to stop. You also know that you are the only one that can do it.

You have 2 loves:

Singing karaoke - smoking has to damage your vocal chords.

Racquetball - surely there are some matches where getting winded on a long point makes the difference between winning and losing. Losing sucks!

If you continue you know your ultimate fate.

Your serve.

harryhides

Name
Tony
However, I have heard that the success rate for those trying to quit rises with every attempt. So you are more likely to succeed this time than before.

Good luck and if you don't succeed, try, try and try again.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have never smoked but I have had people tell me stopping is one of the hardest things in the world to do. Good luck, you can do it!!

I felt very bad for Ken at mikey fest. He had to leave dinner 3 times to go out and smoke. It must be rough not even being able to finish a meal.

I will keep you in my thoughts. Now if we can just get Ron to stop. That poor sucker lights one up before the other is out! :D

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Thanks to all, and you're right Bill~ some of those long points really suck the wind out. The last time I quit I gained a half pitch on the high end singing and was able to hit a pure B sharp over middle C. Looking forward to doing that again and maybe hitting an A natural, although I might have to have someone squeezing my privates for that.

Ken
Ps Adam, I think it was only partly to smoke but also needed a break from all the testosterone. Plus, I am more than a little ADHD.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My mom smoked for years......

she is now a non smoker and only half her heart works
not expected to be around to much longer... hard to say..she has been hanging in there for a long time

My dad has smoked all his life.... a month ago he went in to have some cancer removed from the side of his nose about the size of the tip of a pencil......2 hours later he had a gaping hole in the side of his face where you could see in nasal cavities.that they could not close up..so they had to take him to a plastic surgeon and cut some skin off his check and fold it over to graph it all back together....

1 week ago they removed a area from the inside of his ear about the size of a quarter they had to also use skin and graph it all back.....

he is still smoking........
trying to deal with all his issues.....they are sure that there are other problems with him but I really think deep down inside he has just given up.....

I use to smoke...1 to 2 packs a day since I was 15 I am now 44 and it has been just over a year since I put them down cold turkey and walked away

101_3786.jpg

I want to see this little girl grow up and be there for her when she needs me...

we all make our own choices I guess.......

Greenie

Ya know it's a funny thing, we regulate liquor and other drugs, but a product like engineered tobacco seems to be "different", it matters not it was designed to physically change brain chemistry permanently and create it's own demand, as well it was engineered to be a health hazard from the chemicals.
And yet...it's legal and heavily taxed.

Do ya think it would be legal if we didn't have the taxes on it?

.....money!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
We are all rooting for you, Ken. I want to see you around at a few more industry events.

I'll bring the tennis racquet to Connections in case we get some free time. I might have a chance if I play you when you are winded.

Scott Warrington

Bryan Irvin

Watching someone die from COPD will make ya wanna quit. I got almost 2 yrs now. The first couple days are the hardest, and really, after a few min, the craving will go away. Dont get me wrong, I havent been perfect, Ive been known to smoke a few when I go out drinking, but the taste reminds me quickly of why I quit. Not to mention, now that I dont smoke, whenever I'm around someone who smokes, their breath smells like dogshit!

Bryan

danpauselius

I gotta quit myself. Smoke 2-3 packs a day.

Odd thing is that I can go a LONG time without a smoke, but as soon as I get bored, I light up. I have to be doing something with my hands at all times. Maybe I should start carrying one of those grip workout things.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Ken it's ultimately a mind thing and you won't stop till you have a big enough reason. Mine was looking out the back window of the ambulance at my wife and young kids who were following in the car. Haven't even thought about picking one up since. One night lying in a coronary ward with a bunch of living dead will really help to change your thinking as well. If that doesn't work you could try thinking about the poor bastards who have to pay more and more tax to keep the sufferers alive :wink:

Hope you pull it off mate.

Rex Tyus

Ken

One word, Skoal.

Ken another word, NOT. Quiting smoking is easy (I have done it at least 20 or 30 times :) ). The not starting back part is what is tough.

In all seriousness I found it much easier to quit smoking than quiting Skoal. It took a growth on my lip and a close call to make me see the light. Can't be a successful trophy husband with your lower jaw removed. I would gets replaced by a guy that could eat solid food and still smile.
Good luck Ken. You can do it.

Name
Bruce
My dad quit smoking cold turkey after 30 years and 2 and 1/2 packs a day, he says he will probably have a heart attack because he put on 20+ pounds. Doctor says his lungs look and sound like he's never smoked a day in his life.

Greenie

Ya know funny thing you guys mention all the watching someone die stuff, in high school I had a part time job care taking for some property, split firewood, rake pine needles etc... The old man was dieing of emphysema, seeing that each day for over a year etched a pretty good spot in the brain not to light up.

Mike Brummett

My hat's off to anyone working on improving their life by quitting an addictive substance of any kind.
I had to put the plug in the jug (again) about 19 months ago and so far, by God's Grace, I am sober.

A support group with people that you can phone up when you need to talk will work wonders. A sponsor or mentor that has been where you are going is also very helpful.

The key is to not wait until you are bouncing off the walls to call people and stuff.

Quitting is SOMETIMES easier than we think, but ASKING FOR HELP can be the tough part.

One day at a time is a great tool as well. Just don't smoke for TODAY. Don't think about tomorrow.

Good Luck!

MIKE

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
“The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self.â€Â

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
do not use skoal(see pic below)... do it healthy we willl even let you into the back to the gym group but instead of being a fat ass like us you can be a smoker quiting. Days instead of pounds.
mouth_cancer2.jpg

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I hypnotized a guy one time that every time he placed that cigarette in his mouth that it tasted like shit.

Cured him.

Remember the word "Try" subliminally means you are going to fail.

danpauselius

My father was on some medication that made every cigarette taste like the first one. He told me, "I can't smoke anymore ... these things taste like ass"

John Watson

I know it is not the same for everyone, I smoked 3 1/2 packs a day for many years, I smoked for more than 25 years, Tried to quit once before lasted 8 hours, gave up in the middle of a Pinokinole game where the other 3 were smoking and blowing it in my face, They had not even noticed I was not smoking. September 7th 1987 I quit cold turkey. I have not smoked a cigarette since. A couple weeks away from 20 years.

Sometimes when the phone rings or we are driving down the road, I still catch myself reaching for one in my shirt pocket, Helen catches me too..

Oh, but do I love the smell of a good cigar. I keep saying one of these days I am going to treat myself.

Helen still smokes and I have 2 daughters that start and stop, start and stop.

For me, my answer is I wanted to quit so I did..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom