Legend Brands acquires Prochem

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by Mikey P, Jan 4, 2017.

By Mikey P on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM
  1. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Wow!

How cool is that!

Mike Roden returns..

MEDINA, Ohio, Jan. 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- RPM International Inc. (RPM) today announced that it has acquired two businesses, a manufacturer of commercial floor cleaning equipment and chemicals, and a manufacturer of specialty chemical raw materials. The companies have combined annual net sales of approximately $42 million. Terms of the transactions, which are expected to be accretive to earnings within one year, were not disclosed.

RPM's Legend Brands business has acquired the Prochem business from the Kärcher North America Company, Inc. Prochem is a manufacturer of professional equipment and chemicals for cleaning and restoring carpet, upholstery and hard flooring surfaces. Based in Chandler, Arizona, Prochem has annual net sales of approximately $22 million.

Prochem's equipment line includes truck-mounted and portable carpet, upholstery and hard surface cleaning machines, as well as a complete line of accessories. Prochem also manufactures professional-grade cleaning chemicals, including detergents, shampoos, spot and stain removers, and deodorizers. Its products are sold by distributors to professional cleaning contractors, primarily in North America.

"We expect the addition of Prochem, which will be integrated into Legend Brands' current offering of professional cleaning products, to propel us into the leadership position in the professional cleaning market," stated Frank C. Sullivan, RPM chairman and chief executive officer. "There are a number of efficiencies to be gained by the combined businesses that we can leverage to the bottom line. Plus, we will be able to better serve customers as we now have cleaning chemical blending facilities on both the east and west coasts of the U.S."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...annual-net-sales-of-42-million-300385734.html
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by Mikey P, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Nate The Great
      Nate The Great

Name:
      Nate W.
      If you can't beat them, buy them.........:winky:

@Desk Jockey was here......
    2. Jack Zipper Zerkie
      Jack Zipper Zerkie

Name:
      jack zerkie
      Well now they should talk to Les & Larry and build easy & simple units. The cage units hold the secret for repairs and service and make it hard to replace the caged parts. All of the units are based on the same simple operation. Les & Larry's perform the same and are basic design for ease for you & me.
    3. John Olson
      John Olson

Name:
      John Olson
      Wow. your all wrong just so you know.
      SamIam likes this.
    4. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay

Jackie has a great point.

Wouldn't that be cool if Roden came out with a "cageless" unit before he retired.

Fresh and waste split like the Cobber, filterless like the Judson, sloped easy draining and washable, a real silencer and not a Kragen muffler, 4.8/30HP water cooled and a simple exchanger with a freeze pop off for Damon.

Keep it simple.

and unlike the Cobb and Judson , make it look nice and modern up front.
    5. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      I am not sure how it works crossing from Canada to the US but I have purchased equipment in the US and only had to pay appropiate Canadian taxes when I crossed the border. I did have to apply for a free import number.
    6. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Fortunately I am MIGHTY

Name:
      Lenny
      If people wanted to take a step back in technology everyone would sell them.

Most don't, that's why Prochem & Sapphire are as big as they are. Look at the advancements Hydramaster is making the their new machine.

There will always be garage builders, some quiet good at it like Cobb & Judson but those type of units will never dominate the industry.
    7. smart n kleen
      smart n kleen

Add MasterBlend to the garage guys lol.
      Matt Wood and Desk Jockey like this.
    8. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Fortunately I am MIGHTY

Name:
      Lenny
      There should be a better name for them. They are accomplished builders. Its just not new technology.
      smart n kleen likes this.
    9. Loren Egland
      Loren Egland

Name:
      Loren Egland
      I would still put my old technology Powermatic cleaning performance up against the new technology heat exhanger equipment. :)
      Bob Savage likes this.
    10. smart n kleen
      smart n kleen

Your on. My 575 is blazing even in 11 degree weather. Best heat exchanger machine available.
      Matt Wood, Desk Jockey and Bob Pruitt like this.
    11. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Fortunately I am MIGHTY

Name:
      Lenny
      Old technology is still very capable, its just not desired by the majority of cleaners.

When you can clean as well or nearly as well without secondary heating fuels, most would prefer to do so.
      Todd Millar and smart n kleen like this.
    12. smart n kleen
      smart n kleen

Ask Matt he has a 575 also. Tell them Matt lol.
      Matt Wood likes this.
    13. rick imby
      rick imby

Name:
      Rick
      It never made sense to me for Karcher to buy Prochem in the first place unless they were after Prochems distribution for their other Karcher products.

European companies have significant trouble managing manufacturing in the US. From the old Mikey Video on SS where they state that every specialty part on their machines is made in house vs Prochem outsourcing the odd stuff.

I am amazed that Prochem is only doing 22 million in sales. That probably converts to closer to 40 million at retail but still not very big for the variety of products they manufacture. There were a lot of manufacturing issues in Prochem for only 22 million in Sales.

Prochem will go the way of Blueline.

I would bet that SS paid very little for Prochem. When Karcher made the decision to sell there were not many options on companies looking to buy them.

I would also bet there are a lot of guys on this board that know a heck of a lot more about this than me.---Larry Cobb, Lee, Mikey, Olson etc

The carpet cleaner supply business is a tough one for manufacturers and for distributors because of the small number of potential customers in an area.

Prochem and SS have to factor in distributor markup----25 to 50%---to be tacked on all of their products. This is where Butler and Judson have a significant advantage.
      ronbeatty likes this.
    14. Larry Cobb
      Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
      Larry Cobb
      Modern Heat Exchangers today are capable of as much heat as desired.
      The next technology is going to be in new high-lift vac systems,
      and new electronic cleaning systems for better cleaning
      and absolutely no residue.

You will see both of these in 2017 . . .
      Bob Savage and Desk Jockey like this.
      Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    15. Lee Stockwell
      Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
      Lee Stockwell
      Will they have belt tensioners or other means to adjust the belts?
    16. steve_64
      steve_64

How about moisture sensors on wand heads tied to the vacuum so it increases lift when you are leaving to much water behind.

This would be new technology and is doable.
    17. Bob Savage
      Bob Savage

Name:
      Bob Savage
      All Ya'll are a riot!

I am impressed with Legends brand and their tech leap. More power to them!

I use a belt tensioner from Motion Industries on my modified dual wand powerhouse Cleaning Technologies Truckmount, and those single "B" belts to the blower last a very long time, even though the blower is "overdriven"!

Has any TM manufacturer ever tested their TM equipment to see what the minimum vacuum system requirements are to properly extract carpet with a single vac pass, considering hose length to the wand from the TM?

If so, I must have missed it.
    18. Larry Cobb
      Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
      Larry Cobb
      Lee;

What do you think about eliminating belts, couplers, and tensioners . . .

Steve;

New systems will offer high lift all the time . . .

Bob;

We did actual flowmeter/lift testing on various blower types and TM wands
      with various lengths of hose (up to 500').
      Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    19. Lee Stockwell
      Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
      Lee Stockwell
      I remember Mike Brummett's machine didn't have a tensioner or slots to adjust his belts.
    20. Bob Savage
      Bob Savage

Name:
      Bob Savage
      I do also. St. Louis Summerfest.