Lets talk Soap Free PROCYON

Name
Ivan Day

Hi Jack,

I ask everyone if you has a weigh scale and you put a pound of feathers on one side and a pound of rocks on the other side which would weigh more? They would weigh the same because you have a pound of each. Our powder is like the feathers it is light and fluffy. Each scoop 2 oz dry weight. In your portable sprayer mix 1 scoop to 1 gallon of HOT water from the tap, you are mixed and ready to go. Using your Hydro Force you will want to start at 6 scoops and fill from your truck using hot water.

Ivan

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So Ivan,

Do you have a neutral(or close) rinse you would recommend that has some cleaning ability?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've used Procyon powder as a rinse: 1 cup per 5 gallon jug, metered between 1 and 2. Works great. Never had a problem, it also seems to work very well as a rinse for pre-sprays like Red Line and others.

Ivan, some have had a question whether it contains corrosion inhibitors and may cause reaction from brass fittings. Can you shed some light on that issue?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I've used Procyon since maybe the late 80's, early 90's?? Possibly as long if not longer than Marty, or I might have started using because of Marty. Too old to remember. We used to discuss Procyon on the Cleanfax BB. Strayed away from it for a while to try all the other "promising" presprays and acid rinses, going back to Procyon ASAP. Also, never had any issue with corroding brass fittings....none more than with usual presprays and rinses. On really nasty grease pits, I still use Grease Eraser or now, Flex. I had customers bring out their Procyon bottles that I gave them 10 years ago for refills. They say it can't be beat for spotting.

Ivan........I know you got away from encouraging cleaners from buying and filling their own Procyon "give away" bottles. Is it still possible to get empty Procyon bottles and fill them ourselves?

Name
Ivan Day

Good Morning Ofer,

Using PROCYON as a rinse. Procyon will work great as a rinse at the light mix of 1 - 8 oz cup to 5 gallons meter at 2. You could not do better.

Now lets talk corrosion inhibitors , yes there are corrosion inhibitors in our products. There is not enough corrosion inhibitors and that has been one of our downfalls when it comes to some brass fittings. The best way I can answer this is to say that there are different grades of brass in our industry. Just like there are different grades of lumber. There many cleaning systems that are out there that offer quality in their brass fittings and you will pay for a little more that quality. I use to think that this was a little weird so I would ask my self why would we have a problem with with someones truck mount and not have any issues with other truck mounted cleaning system. There is one system that gives me fits. So I have said in the beginning when asked about brass issues. Please follow directions and mix your PROCYON as a pre-spray and meter 8 to 1. and fresh water rinse only if you are having problems with brass. I believe that all brass is not equal just like lumber. Now there are many different cleaning systems out there and they have a quality source for brass. I for one I appreciate there quality in their systems. You pay a lot of money for your system and I understand the issue. Procyon is a very safe yet powerful cleaning product when it comes to performance. Thousands of our customers use PROCYON cleaning products and have never had any issues and they use it as a pre-spray as well as a rinse. I have always said I be-leave a fresh water rinse is better. If you take a shower do you use fresh water to rinse? How would you feel if you used a rinsing agent after you showered? I believe that carpets that can handle a fresh water rinse deserve that fresh feeling. I hope that this helps and thank you for your question and your support.

Ivan

Reactions: ruff
Name
Ivan Day

Robert,

Thank you for your great support and your comments. Years ago we use to have a great thing going with our empty bottles until one day I received a dreaded call. I was told that our spotter had destroyed a beautiful carpet. Back in the day we had everyone mixing their spotter and it took one tech that made a mistake and stopped us in our tracks. The service tech mixed bleach in PROCYON and left the bottle for their customer to use. Well they had a puppy and the puppy had left a few puppy spots on the carpet. So we had to face a big bleach issue with our insurance company. We had to make a choice no insurance or STOP selling empty bottles. I am sure sorry. The only thing I can do is offer you our full spotter bottles with your label our our label. www.soapfreeprocyon.com

Ivan

Reactions: rwcarpet

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
What's the advantage of P, other than no fragrance, over other presprays and rinses?

As posted previously, I've used it for years, and I keep a jar in the van for customers with fragrance sensitivities.

Name
Ivan Day
previously

Hi Johnny,

Thank you for your email:

That is a great question and I could write all day about Soap Free PROCYON and all the advantages in the marketing concept as well as all the benefits you and your customers will gain. First I want to thank you for carrying a bottle of PROCYON on your truck.
Lets talk a little about how safe are your cleaning products are. You breath the off gassing from your chemicals, how healthy is that for you. When you get the chemical on your hands do your hand burn or how do you stop those toxins from absorbing in to your body? You leave residue in the carpets even if you rinse or use a rinsing agent. As the fibers dry wicking occurs and the residues linger in tips of the fiber. You have family's that walk on their fresh cleaned carpet in there bare feet. The moisture from their feet activate the chemical residue and the chemical residue with be absorbed in to their body's. As the chemicals enter their blood stream, this is a big issue I have with many cleaning chemicals that are on the market. Poisons and the toxic residues can effect a body in many ways everything from neurology to the brain. Forty years ago there were very few carpets and there were very few cancer treatment centers. Today carpets are everywhere and lets look at how many cancer treatment centers there. I feel even the slightest chemical residues from cleaning products being used. Can affect a human life. Please research all your chemicals. You might want to taste them. Probably not! But your customers are. Take a clove of garlic cut it in half rub it on the bottom of your feet and get dressed. By the following morning you will taste the garlic in your mouth.

Please try this it works and this I hope it will make you a believer in what it is we teach " Healthier ways to a cleaner safer environment"

Name
Ivan Day
Know one can beat the power and performance in PROCYON cleaning abilities. I have had many supply houses that have said. Ivan we have sold every detergent free-soap free cleaning product made and my customers are demanding PROCYON. Ivan that other stuff does not sell my customers want PROCYON.

I introduced Soap Free - Detergent Free cleaning to this industry over 30 years ago.

Thanks Ivan

Name
Ivan Day
Hi Jimmy,

If I read your message right you feel that PROCYON is just a water softener. HMMM - Well it does contain a water softener that will convert hard water to soft water. (YES) you are right! With all PROCYON cleaning products our pH of 9.5 to 11 should be an indicator that there is a little bit more than a water softener. PROCYON is a great cleaning product. If you would like a sample please visit our web site at www.soapfreeprocyon.com and request a sample.

Thank you for your question,

Ivan

Name
Ivan Day
Please tell us how you got into the carpet cleaning "solution" manufacturing business (were you ever a cleaner, were you dissatisfied with other chemicals, possible chemistry degree etc.

Years ago, I was a door to door vacuum salesman, hired and trained vacuum sales people. There were many people I met with dirty carpets that couldn’t afford a quality vacuum. The company I worked for sold the distribution rights to the equipment. I was asked to train under a different type of carpet cleaning system. I was asked to train other sales reps on the system. I couldn’t do it. My belief was in the system that I had worked with for years. So I left their employment and purchased a carpet extractor, “Dart”. Most people do not know what a Dart cleaning system is by today’s standards. I contacted my large customer base who couldn’t afford to purchase the vacuums and offered my services to clean their carpets. The problem I faced on a daily basis was the detergent residues backing up into my cleaning system and rendering my services worthless. I knew there had to be a better way to clean. At the same time, I began to get terribly sick from all of the chemicals and their odors in the cleaning products that were sold to me. That is when I had the idea of developing the soap-free, detergent-free and odor-free concept.

What was the order of all of your products creation? Is there one that can do it all by changing the dilution or by boosting with a solvent or peroxide? (Many owners want to have a Do It Solution to keep things simple for their techs)

The order of development was the Soap-Free PROCYON Powder, Soap-Free PROCYON Carpet & Upholstery cleaning concentrate, Soap-Free PROCYON Spot & Stain Remover RTU, Soap-Free PROCYON Multi-Purpose cleaning concentrate, Soap-Free PROCYON Extreme! cleaning concentrate and Soap-Free PROCYON Tile & Grout cleaning concentrate. In reviewing other products on the market, you have to purchase a cleaning product, rinsing agent, de-foamer, products for wools, olefin, etc., etc. You can continue to build a fortress of many products and costs that are unnecessary making everyone rich and to top it off you need training program in place to know how to use all those cleaning products. Soap-Free PROCYON Extreme! was chosen by us to be sent in for Wool Safe certification because of its unique characteristics: Concentrate being 11 and the pH of working dilution of 10, alkalinity at 6.5 we passed Wool Safe standards. Soap-Free PROCYON Extreme! can be used as a booster along with Soap-Free PROCYON powder, but is also a popularly chosen product to clean all carpets used by itself because of its qualities.

How many employees does PROCYON have and do you make anything other than the line of chemicals?

We employ 7-10 people throughout the year, which is quite impressive as we are a worldwide brand.

Along with our PROCYON products, we offer bonnets designed to work with restorative techniques saving carpets in other parts of our industry. They are all natural, all loop, thick, super absorbent, heavy cotton with a mesh base that is a chosen favorite with our customers. We also offer custom spotters with customization labels that let us brand your bottle with your own logos, colors, designs and company information.

Do you ever regret not using a "greener" more earth friendly sounding name with words like Bio, Planet, Kitten, Soy, Patchouli, Eco or Tofu in the name/description?

I’ve never given it a second thought, as we are one of the brightest stars in our constellation of stars. As the front-runners in our industry, we don’t need any gimmicks for brand recognition all we need is the truth and it needs to be told.

Some cleaners say your regular Soap Free PROCYON (Original) is not strong enough for their trashed apartment needs. Will your "Extreme" product satisfy them? Are there additional solvents or 02 boosters in it or just additional surfactants? Encapsulation claims are made on your site, so polymers are in the recipe as well?

I’ve cleaned carpets for over 10 years using our PROCYON powder and if mixed correctly and according to the directions, there should be no issue cleaning trashed apartments. This product’s formulation was based on the performance of cleaning trashed apartments specifically.

If you need a booster, use the Soap-Free PROCYON Extreme! in your pre-spray and it will improve the cleaning effect. If you do not like that, find something as a booster that you will like. I cannot produce poisons and toxic cleaning products. I could not feel good about myself knowing about the long term health effects that people could have. There is room in this industry for a healthier safer ways to clean and protect the service technician, there customer and their families.

It is a choice! As far as my Top-Secret Recipe, Mike, that was a good try!  30 years of performance speaks for itself as well as our Green Seal, CRI and Wool Safe approvals.

Yes we are working with several large contract services that all use encapsulation. I need to ask why you or anyone would want to use a polymer based encapsulation product that is not Green Seal Certified. Ask yourself why? We are about protecting human health and our Extreme! works and performs at the top of this class as an encapsulation product and has many more benefits.

Your ad showing a baby mouthing a bottle of spotter is controversial to say the least, did that photo always have the disclaimer below it?

It is indeed controversial, and therefore a great marketing tool. “The Baby” who is a chunk and my grandson, this was a wonderful accident. I was doing a product photo shoot and he was teething. We were photographing brand new, empty packaging and he wanted nothing to do with his teething toys, he just wanted the PROCYON bottle... smart baby! You must admit, it is adorable, eye-catching and definitely a recognizable image for our brand. The disclaimer came at the time we were becoming Green Seal certified for that product.

How does your Tile and Grout Cleaner differ from your other products?

Other Tile & Grout cleaning agents have detergent, surfactants and many other chemicals. With the residue left behind your floors become slippery when wet. Soap-Free PROCYON Tile & Grout cleaner is detergent-free, soap-free, designed to penetrate the pores of the tile & grout without leaving a soapy, sticky residue which will greatly reduce slip and fall accidents when wet.

Who do you consider to have the 2nd best line up of green cleaning agents?

In our industry there is only one company who truly tests the chemical manufacturing companies and each product they manufacture. They do a site review they check out all your formulations against the products you have in stock. Then they check out the change of custody, from contacting all the raw chemical manufactures that we use, transient companies to our own storage facility to our formulation plant and then to our bottling plant. From the manufacturing and bottling and then the finished product that needs to meet high specifications of quality. It was a challenge to meet all their requirements in the beginning but now it is easy. There are green companies that will certify most any cleaning product. All you need to do is send in your product formulation, it can be almost any product formulation and if they like your formulation, Poof! Your cleaning products get certified by them. Just send them a check! There is no monitoring standard, so you get what you get.

So your question is; who do you consider to have the 2nd best line up of green cleaning agents? Any cleaning product that has been tested and certified by Green Seal for protecting human health and customers have this in writing.

What are your feelings about fabric protectors? & grout sealers?

I think if the carpet is truly cleaned and truly free of that soapy, sticky residue, like the in-larged photos that have produced and published. The two fibers show one with detergent residue and a second fiber cleaned with PROCYON. The fabric protectant needs to actually bond to the fabric. If there is a soapy sticky residue, it renders the carpet protectant useless.

Grout sealer, when there is a detergent residue that has filled the pours in the grout; the grout sealer also becomes useless. I cannot understand why anyone would want to use anything else. Soap free PROCYON Tile & grout cleaner concentrate is the answer to your tile and grout.

How green is your personal house hold? (Woven wool carpet, soy paints, cast iron skillets, no cell phones, no microwaves...?)

In terms of flooring, I have hardwood floors, new tile, and in my lower level, carpet. The carpet is 20 years old and still looks like the day it was installed because it has always been cleaned with Soap-Free PROCYON this is truly a safer healthier way to clean. I try to live a regular life free of chemical odors.

Have you considered offering 8 ounce flip top spotters to leave with customers? Your 16 oz bottles, while very nice are a bit pricey to leave at every job.

This is my feeling, I would love everyone to use our custom spotters. I have considered using flip tops, but too many times the customer over-wets the fiber causing wicking issues, so I choose to spend 30 cents more on a trigger sprayer to be used as an applicator and do their job the right way. This way the user can mist without saturation, when you give a gift to a customer, the cost may be $3.00 but you are giving away a 16 oz bottle not an 8 oz bottle. Just thinking about what the cost is for two 8 oz bottles of spotter, that’s a lot of money. I would not want to use or ask my customers to use anything except quality in a product I was associated with. I would not want to have my name associated with un tested the unknown products that were in my custom bottles. An honest product that anyone can use and use right should be what the customer receives. So, I looked at this as marketing, landing, keeping your customer. Doing the right thing is a great trade-off. If you take that beautiful, custom spray bottle and give it to your customer, it has your name and number on it so they can contact you when they need additional product & service. $3.00 for a lifetime customer, several hundreds of dollars in returns is very reasonable.

Is there a product missing from your line up that you would like to have but can't figure out how to make it green enough?

I really don’t want all of the business in the world, I am quite satisfied with the piece of the pie that we have and I only want people as part of our program that care about protecting their health as well as the customers and their families’ health.

And last but not least, please tell us everything the original SFP will clean besides carpeting..

Well, that sure is a loaded question! There are almost endless possibilities for things that Soap-Free PROCYON can clean…due to liabilities, though I will just stand by using it on all of the items the instructions list it safe for use on for now. A great topic for another future article, Thanks Mike!

You can call or email me any time Ivan 509 -484-5105 or Procyon_rx@msn.com

If customers wants Soap Free PROCYON and feel they can not get it any where who can they call?

John and Lori Olson at Superior 801-427-8008 they will take great care of you.

Reactions: Mikey P

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
When I first heard about Procyon I was the biggest skeptic of it. I use it now almost exclusively and love the results. More importantly I don't feel like I'm covered in chemical residue at the end of the day.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Ivan Day
Brian,
After pioneering Soap Free PROCYON, for 33 years of teaching safer healthier concepts I have come to realize that I love what I do because there no smoke in mirrors. I enjoy spending time with everyone and I miss not talking with you and the professionals that believe in what I have been teaching. Brian it is people like you who want to make a difference in someones life.Please be true to your self

Thank you for all you do,

Ivan

Name
Andy McFadden
Ivan, I have converted all my customers to using your spotter. Every time I find a resolve soap mess, I yell at them, and tell them were they can buy a better product that wont ruin their carpet. Where's my commission check?? :)

Your extreme is the closest thing to a silver bullet pre spray I have found. It truly can be the only cleaning product a guy needs,, Works great for hwe, from light soil to trashed out ,, excellent as a VLM cleaner / encap,, and great for upholstery too, and just fine for the occasional wool.

Here is a post form 2013 , (the first time I tried the extreme) this was before you changed the formula , it works even better now.

"I used my sample of procyon extreme today, some kind of plastic (polly, or olefin) frezzie, shag style. you know the kind were the traffic lanes mat and wont fluff at all with the carpet rake. You vac and no vac lines in the carpet, you all know the stuff.

Greased up entry way from kitchen to living room , melted like butter, came out great, (I had a 2 gallon pump up mixed with extreme clean as back up just in case) , did not have to use it or any spotters , the procyon extreme melted everything all spots gone.

I don't know how this stuff compares to the regular , but I'm darn impressed. The interesting thing is the PH is only 7, I thought it was a high ph (says 12) but RTU it's 7, which is lower then the regular stuff. Odd that it would be the "extreme" version when it's less ph . worked so well, it's also wool certified.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Still don't understand the advantage, aside from being fragrance-free, of P over most other products.

Specifically why is it safer or better? How does it work? What is its composition? I need more specific information, not just hype, if I'm going to represent it as better or safer to my customers.

Name
Ivan Day

Andy, Where in Washington state are you? I want to let you know that our spotters are on sale this month.

Wow that is exciting I wish I had a photo of that dirty carpet along with a bottle of PROCYON in the photo. our newer version of Extreme! was chosen by us to be sent in for Wool Safe certification because of its unique characteristics: Concentrate being 11 and the pH of working dilution of 10, alkalinity at 6.5 we passed Wool Safe standards and wow this new stuff has a lot of punch. I know that it is not the most powerful product in the market place and I do not want it to be. There is a place in this industry for products like ours. My biggest concerns are protecting human health, odors off gassing and getting great cleaning results in the cleaning process.Your health and your customers are important to us to many times I hear from people who have health related issues because of the products they chose to use and they are now our customers. Some one has to start caring Thank you for your story and support I loved it.

I remember the day we went to ESD 101 in Spokane and they had installed new commercial carpet and it was black from the re-surfacing the parking lot out front. I was bad. They had called in 2 different professional cleaning company's to take care of the problem with no success. At the time they also called Carl Hockhalter who just retired from the school district here Spokane Public School and asked him if he could evaluate the issue. So we went to ESD 101 on Indiana and looked over this mess. I really was nasty. We went to a junk store and purchased an old large coffee pot because we needed hot water We mixed Procyon Extreme! in to the portable sprayer with very hot water. Applied this to the road tar and let it dwell for just a few minutes. Then we took one of our 100% natural cotton bonnets and wiped the road tar right off. The carpet looked brand new! That was back in the day. All I could do is smile.

Ivan

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
So, Ivan.....if I were to bottle and give spotters that contain P, would that be a problem? I wouldn't use the P name.

Name
Ivan Day

Hi Johnny,

Still don't understand the advantage, aside from being fragrance-free, of P over most other products. Please visit our marketing book on our web site. Their you will find over 50 reasons to why everyone should be using PROCYON

Specifically why is it safer or better? Please visit: http://soapfreeprocyon.com/Marketing-Book/
How does it work? Sodium Salt opens the fibers releasing the grease and oils our acidic additive breaks down detergents.
What is its composition? It is on our MSDS you will find in our web site
I need more specific information, not just hype, if I'm going to represent it as better or safer to my customers. I am sorry you feel this way but if you went to our web site you will find all kinds of great information. www.soapfreeprocyon.com

Ivan

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Hi Johnny,

Still don't understand the advantage, aside from being fragrance-free, of P over most other products. Please visit our marketing book on our web site. Their you will find over 50 reasons to why everyone should be using PROCYON

Specifically why is it safer or better? Please visit: http://soapfreeprocyon.com/Marketing-Book/
How does it work? Sodium Salt opens the fibers releasing the grease and oils our acidic additive breaks down detergents.
What is its composition? It is on our MSDS you will find in our web site
I need more specific information, not just hype, if I'm going to represent it as better or safer to my customers. I am sorry you feel this way but if you went to our web site you will find all kinds of great information. www.soapfreeprocyon.com

Ivan
Thanks, Ivan. I'll check out the website.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom