Life with a cold water portable..

Mikey P

Administrator
Lets say your truckmount takes a dive and you only have a 500 psi, 2 vac but cold water portable to get by with..

How would you compensate for lack of heat and vacuum?
How less productive would you be with the set up, constant dumping and filling, moving the machine, over agitating etc..?
How much more chemical do you think you would be using (and leaving behind in the carpet)?
How fast would you sell your car, home or kids to get the truckmount back up and running asap?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I would really like to get my hands on that EDIC unit.....there are times that doing a sofa...chair....or a spot clean I can see it being handy....

but I just can't see using one all day long...

Mikey P

Administrator
I would really like to get my hands on that EDIC unit.....there are times that doing a sofa...chair....or a spot clean I can see it being handy....

but I just can't see using one all day long...

If I can stay on track to live the Steve Toburen dream ~~~~ two trucks out with myself answering the phone and giving estimates and guest appearances on the All Stars Edition of the Love Boat, I could see me with one of those for high dollar uph the boys can't do, touch ups, and the very occasional one roomer or 5th floor apartment (we have ONE in town)

Mikey P

Administrator
I wonder if Willy's ankle collar will allow him to enter the states to come to M10F to teach us how it's done.

Here is our skyline..

c2bcf668239823c7120576c54abab158.jpg

The white bldg in back is low income studio with no carpet

Name
jack zerkie
Jim I have the 500 psi unit with heat and used it a few times. The unit works great for carpets and furniture. I like not having the long hose runs with the truckmount.The unit is simple and easy to use. One cord runs the vacs & pump and the second cord for heat only. Both cords are 50 ft. I will tell more as I use it.I did look at most of the other units made and the EDIC was the right one. jz.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have a 500 psi unit with heat (Black Max from Powr Flite) that I've used like twice. I keep telling myself "someday you'll be glad you have it". Maybe...but right now if I had that cash, I'd put a wrap on my truck.

The Clean Machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How would you compensate for lack of heat and vacuum?
How less productive would you be with the set up, constant dumping and filling, moving the machine, over agitating etc..?
How much more chemical do you think you would be using (and leaving behind in the carpet)?
How fast would you sell your car, home or kids to get the truckmount back up and running asap?

Without the heat and vacuum of a TM I'd use more agitation (Powerhead 360i, Hoss, T-Rex) and boost my chems. I'd also leave the machine outside so as not to compromise the indoor environment with added humidity and possible pet odor.

If a two man crew I'd guess you'll be 30% less productive, if cleaning solo maybe 50% vs a TM with onboard water. I could be wrong, I've actually never compared the two side by side??? But I ran portables for decades and they are slooooow, worse by yourself.

If Larry's numbers are correct of leaving behind 20% of the water you use. Then I'm going to either reduce the pressure and make more vacuum passes and maybe jet down my wand so I'm not using as much water.

Slashing my wrists would be much faster! I know you portable lubbers would love that.....well too F-in bad! :winky:

Mikey P

Administrator
Personally I think I'd rather by a VLM pad hack (great liar) than a Portable slave.

I know of one BB rock star that has to use a damn Cimex to scrub residential to over come the lack of cleaning ability that great suck and heat gives us Premium Cleaners.

If I had to lift a Cimex everydamnday, out of my minivan and up staircases ( can't help but recall Steve Dobbs and his "I'm a strapping young lad, it's no big deal comments who had a truckmount and still felt he needed to Cimex in his prespray) I would move to Detroit and work for Hagopian.

Mikey P

Administrator
Without the heat and vacuum of a TM I'd use more agitation (Powerhead 360i, Hoss, T-Rex)

really, you ever try that Richard?

back in the preglide era, I used an twin head Rotovac with my ReCoil (that was nice of me)and every 4 minutes I'd be adding more water..

yet for some strange reason the waste tank only contained about 20% of what I was putting down.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
If your hands are tied behind your back, and all you can acquire is ---only----COLD water, then the Operator would need a very efficient and powerful system,along with sensible cleaning agent(s), period. I know this because I have been in a few situations such as this, and the results were very good. The difference is "time". Hot water will clean faster breaking down the surface tension faster.

But, good topic.

best to all;
Ed Valentine
cross-American corp.

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm no mathematics genius but wouldn't the extra two jobs a day that a GOOD FRIENDLY and well reviewed cleaning professional, get done, MORE than cover the expense of a lightly used truckmount set up?

Unless a guy is just starting out and has zero funds or backers, OR is in a situation of only high rise clientle, he is wasting precious time and resources (mainly his lower back) on being penny wise and pound foolish with continuous portable use.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Willy

Do you run hot all the time or just on greasy carpet?
What does the heat save you in chemical?
Do you you bring your own soft water and just use whats on tap?

All the time as hot water just makes my life that much easier. In some cases, I've run 2 of the heatrites to go from cold to hot in offices with a 5 gallon water heater. Vancouver has really soft water. The bucket heater is just the same as plugging in a kettle, no danger at all.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Mikey P

Administrator
Does the Bucket Heater shut off if not submerged?
If you took it out of the bucket and laid it on a Olefin would you be be buying new carpet?

You have a helper right Willy?

If by yourself can you clean more than 2 or 3 a day?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I wonder if Willy's ankle collar will allow him to enter the states to come to M10F to teach us how it's done.

Here is our skyline..

c2bcf668239823c7120576c54abab158.jpg

The white bldg in back is low income studio with no carpet

I'd much prefer to be there instead of here, but I'll be balls deep in hep c treatment at that point. I went over everything with my doctors and the treatment regimen is pretty rugged, but the hep will be gone when I'm done. We went over every possibility - i.e. tats, spike doping,transfusions etc., and the only possibility for contracting this shit was through work.

WEAR YOUR DAMNED GLOVES WHEN YOU TOUCH STUFF!!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Does the Bucket Heater shut off if not submerged?
If you took it out of the bucket and laid it on a Olefin would you be be buying new carpet?

You have a helper right Willy?

If by yourself can you clean more than 2 or 3 a day?
No , the element is in a "cage". It still heats whether submerged or not. Yep - I use help. 5 was a normal day without, depending on the size.

Mikey P

Administrator
5 by yourself w/o help?

wow, I think I may have done that when I was a millers hack. No prevac, pump up or wand prespray and blitz through as fast as possible. Very small jobs as most smart (large) home owners knew better.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
number one suspect would be draining your tepid porty water into a bucket or toilet and it splashing you in the face?
No - the virus has to enter through an open wound or blood on blood or contaminated surgical implements. I've certainly done my share of blood drip cleanups, as have most here - without proper ppe. I didn't know I was infected until it showed up in a blood test from my biceps reattachment surgery. It's gonna be a long and miserable road to recovery, but the good news is that it can be eradicated from my system completely. 5 years ago , I would nave been SOL.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
5 by yourself w/o help?

wow, I think I may have done that when I was a millers hack. No prevac, pump up or wand prespray and blitz through as fast as possible. Very small jobs as most smart (large) home owners knew better.

Most of my jobs are in condoville. I confess to having the custy prevac, but I do prespray, extract and post spot. I just have brutal efficiency.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
really, you ever try that Richard?

back in the preglide era, I used an twin head Rotovac with my ReCoil (that was nice of me)and every 4 minutes I'd be adding more water..

yet for some strange reason the waste tank only contained about 20% of what I was putting down.
No never tried it.

Anything that isn't reasonable to use a TM on we are going to go to low moisture with a Orbot. Looks are just as good or better than a portable and it dries so much fast without the bucket brigade hassle or time factor.

We really only use portables for upholstery cleaning, they do a decent job but even then I'd prefer the heat and airflow of a good TM.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Even though it has been a LONG time ago, I still remember the decision process on purchasing my first TM like it was yesterday. I was happy with my Castex portables cleaning ability. Granted, I wasn't cleaning nasty restaurants with it, but on a day to day basis of residential and light commercial cleaning it did a good job. It had no heat.

I had a couple of brothers who were around my age now, back then, and they were my mentors, somewhat. One brother told me to buy a TM, the other told me it would be a waste of money. The one advocating a TM won, of course, but all I experienced was a drastic decrease in time on the job. I really didn't notice a great improvement in my cleaning.

I often times think we give heat much more credit than it deserves. It has it's place, but as we all should know, it's only one part of the overall equation.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So you only clean with a TM because it's faster not because it cleans better? You must be the dumbest smart person I know......and I know some dumb people!

Why use a heater at all, why waste money on propane. Yank that baby out of your rig save on weight and save on a secondary fuel source!

Ya damn dummy! :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom