Life with a cold water portable..

Mikey P

Administrator
A 33 with 100 feet on it is about equal to a HP porty with 25 ft.

Art your story sounds too good to be true.

Just try to visualize our last job of the day not taking at least an hour longer if done as you describe. 2.5 hours of I did it by myself.

200 feet of Travertine and 300 feet of user thick nylon.
We blasted right through for $400 in an hour and a half..

Do you have a GoPro?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Were those 8000 hrs on the Pro-1200 put on the same 100,000 miles Express, Art?

If yes, it should be a pilgrimage site.

That and of course, my golden framed signed picture of saint Willy :winky:

Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
When looking at the science of carpet cleaning with any form of HWE it should be noted that the purpose of squirt and suck is not meant for cleaning. If it was then guys with 100k$ TMs would not need chems or agitation. Squirt and suck is meant to flush and extract soils that have been made readily available through proper prep work such as chemical dwell time and agitation. Although super heated water may compensate somewhat for poor prep work it is unreliable for consistent results. So hot or not so hot is not the dominating factor for a proper clean.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Ours runs 180

I dare ya to stand at the back an let me shoot ya with the fill whip : )

Mikey P

Administrator
Says the guy who has never used a HOT truckmount.

Did Guerkink's silly ftp or what ever acronym, "prove" that rubbing poopy carpet with a synthetic pad was more effective than actual rinsing with hot or cold water?

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
One of today's jobs was a high rise. 2 bedrooms of carpet, sofa, loveseat, 3 sitting chairs and 6 dining chairs.

Started with the carpet. Vacuumed, pre sprayed with encap hydrox, scrubbed with 175 and brush and extracted with portable using hot water from the bathroom sink.

Also used encap hydrox on all the furniture, quick scrub with hand bonnet and extract.

If I had to do all my jobs like this I'd find something else to do, for a handful a month I just suck it up.

My portable does have auto fill and dump but I only used the auto fill today because I forgot to bring filters and the dump filter clogs crazy fast if you don't filter the incoming water.

PS The customer said her carpet has never looked better since the day she bought this condo.

PSS. It took almost exactly four hours from the time I pulled up until I pulled away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Says the guy who has never used a HOT truckmount.

Did Guerkink's silly ftp or what ever acronym, "prove" that rubbing poopy carpet with a synthetic pad was more effective than actual rinsing with hot or cold water?

Not being negative about hwe . It is what it is but lets face it with out doing the same thing your porty cousins are doing to clean the worst of filthy carpet the only real difference is speed which is great. BTW I use a water claw on poopy carpet LOL.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Unless a guy is just starting out and has zero funds or backers, OR is in a situation of only high rise clientle, he is wasting precious time and resources (mainly his lower back) on being penny wise and pound foolish with continuous portable use.

What a bummer.... After almost 20 years I find out how dumb I am. I guess my database of 8,000 customers are all idiots.:errf:

Seriously... I'm extremely happy with my portable, which I use every day, every job. So are all my customers. No I can't knock out 5 jobs a day continuously but I don't want to.

There is many ways to skin a cat!

Name
George Valliant
Lets say your truckmount takes a dive and you only have a 500 psi, 2 vac but cold water portable to get by with..

How would you compensate for lack of heat and vacuum?
How less productive would you be with the set up, constant dumping and filling, moving the machine, over agitating etc..?
How much more chemical do you think you would be using (and leaving behind in the carpet)?
How fast would you sell your car, home or kids to get the truckmount back up and running asap?

Your question is giving flashbacks to when I bought my first porty and opened my biz in 1986. I remember having a spiritual experience in the parking lot of a church in Santa Fe asking god "why me?"

Hey, i'm still standing. A little worse for wear but standing non-the-less...

I wonder what kennedy would do? I know!!! He'd walk through a pit of burning hot coals... Sounds like a good idea to me.

fantastic-tie-dye-rainbow-love-page.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Welcome back, George...'bout fcking time....

add rotary agitation with the porty and the operator will be doing a better job than 87.36% of the TM guys out there.
Drop airmovers as you work, and you'll be doing better than 97.83%

heat...most aren't able to get past 240 ATM
I can peg the 280 temp gauge on my TM

if you've never been there, you're talking out your azz when saying "what is and what ain't"

are those kind of mega temps "needed"?...hell no
you can get along just fine with as little as 170 ATM ...we typically run 200-220 day in and day out .

where you'll notice a substantial difference with mega heat is on poly or oley rags (they beg for rotary agitation)
when you can get past 240ATM, you can leave the rotary on the van

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What a bummer.... After almost 20 years I find out how dumb I am. I guess my database of 8,000 customers are all idiots.:errf:

Seriously... I'm extremely happy with my portable, which I use every day, every job. So are all my customers. No I can't knock out 5 jobs a day continuously but I don't want to.

Barry you're NOT dumb, now those 8000 people that use you and your porty....... :winky:

J/K as you say there are many ways to skin a cat.

Seriously as long as you are comfortable with what you use, how can anyone say you are wrong. Oh "you're wrong!" :p

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I would like to suggest that all of us get together if we ever meet.

We would all form a circle with our hands around each others shoulders.

Then we all would become teary eyed as we all said the word...........................LOVE!

I won't be there.................you bunch of ...................HOMOS!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would like to suggest that all of us get together if we ever meet.

We would all form a circle with our hands around each others shoulders.

Then we all would become teary eyed as we all said the word...........................LOVE!

I won't be there.................you bunch of ...................HOMOS!
You got me with that last time you past through town. You're not grabbing me there again! The first time you caught be off guard, the second time it actually felt good. :eekk: :redface:

No third time you evil man! :evil:

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Bang on Barry. I even have customers who live at ground level that use me, not just the sky rises. Although, there's over 100,000 people in a 10 square mile area in the downtown core. Travel time? you can't smoke a swisher sweet before you're at the next job. And for crying out loud - use a 35 foot hose run - not 25, with the present vac systems, a 50 footer will serve you.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Bang on Barry. I even have customers who live at ground level that use me, not just the sky rises. Although, there's over 100,000 people in a 10 square mile area in the downtown core. Travel time? you can't smoke a swisher sweet before you're at the next job. And for crying out loud - use a 35 foot hose run - not 25, with the present vac systems, a 50 footer will serve you.

Actually I said that wrong. I COULD do 5 jobs a day, I just don't want to.

I set up the portable at the doorway (outside the house) and use whatever length of hose needed. Usually 50'.

Reactions: Willy P

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I would jump in here, but debating with a Mexican about anything over 5 feet one inch above ground level seems a waste of time.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey I'm 5'11.

Jump in I won't bite......wellll. :twisted:

sides its really not a debate. I'm right an ya'll are wrong! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I am thinking about getting a porty but I don't like what I see with the units on the market. Am seriously thinking about building my own. And no it will not be a cheap imitation of what is on the market. I will use it for flood work and some flushing work and who knows maybe down the road I may even hook it up to a high flow rotary.:yoda:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Were those 8000 hrs on the Pro-1200 put on the same 100,000 miles Express, Art?

If yes, it should be a pilgrimage site.

That and of course, my golden framed signed picture of saint Willy :winky:

It's not interesting enough to warrant a pilgrimage Ofer, but come to Detroit to visit. The Express is now 10 y/o with 125000 miles, looks good with no rust and the Pro1200 inside has 9600 hours. I use it every day. I figure I can run it another 5-10 years if it still runs and looks good. Here it is on it's 10th birthday:BeforeandAfterLateMayandJune016_zpsfae353c3.jpg

A new setup would look and perform about the same.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That is a pilgrimage site!

9600 machine hours (calculated at 30 miles per idle van hour) equates 288,000 miles. That means that your van actually has more than 400,000 miles on it.

That is totally awesome. You must take great care of van and machine.

Just tell me that, somewhere in the van, you have a small portrait of saint willy, even his likeness say in an orange peel or the sediment in the recovery tank, and flight booked.

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
It's not interesting enough to warrant a pilgrimage Ofer, but come to Detroit to visit. The Express is now 10 y/o with 125000 miles, looks good with no rust and the Pro1200 inside has 9600 hours. I use it every day. I figure I can run it another 5-10 years if it still runs and looks good. Here it is on it's 10th birthday:BeforeandAfterLateMayandJune016_zpsfae353c3.jpg

A new setup would look and perform about the same.

That looks pretty nice Art.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
That looks pretty nice Art.
Thanks Shane. I assume you're referring to the 03 Express/Pro1200 and not the Mytee Air Hog that's actually doing the grunt work on this job (aside from me). It is amazing to me that this van has not disintegrated after 10 salty Michigan winters. The DD units always outlast the GMs or Fords they're installed in, but maybe the corrosion resistance on these modern vans will be worth a **** and this unit will last until,... I don't know, maybe the end days when Bristol Palin is President and Kim Kardashian is her Secretary of State.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I am thinking about getting a porty but I don't like what I see with the units on the market. Am seriously thinking about building my own.

Please enlighten us Bubbles.

Based on your vast experience, what don't you like about today's portables, and what would be different about your Mard-O-Matic 2000??

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Please enlighten us Bubbles.

Based on your vast experience, what don't you like about today's portables, and what would be different about your Mard-O-Matic 2000??

The porty I would like would be able to suck wet and dry. It would be able to handle ANY THING that could be sucked through a 2" whip hose. I would not want to ever have to say I cant use it for this or that.If it can be sucked through a hose I would want to be able to do that. It would be like the ultimate super sucker wet/dry vac. Hows that for starters ?

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
The porty I would like would be able to suck wet and dry. It would be able to handle ANY THING that could be sucked through a 2" whip hose. I would not want to ever have to say I cant use it for this or that.If it can be sucked through a hose I would want to be able to do that. It would be like the ultimate super sucker wet/dry vac. Hows that for starters ?

All you would have to do is adapt a suitable filter to fit the stack.
No need to go through the trouble of building a entirely new unit for that, although cleaning out the waste may be a pain in the ass.

Seems like a silly waste of time to me, with very few real world applications to make the effort worth it.

What else ya got Bubbles??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom