More on color damage from down filled cushions

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Chandler explained everything well. This does not always work, and there are times that color loss occurs, which is also uncorrectable, so still be very cautious with down filled cushions

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Chandler explained everything well. This does not always work, and there are times that color loss occurs, which is also uncorrectable, so still be very cautious with down filled cushions

Whenever we come across Downfilled cushions...I actually pull up that video for my clients and ask them if them want me to proceed and tell them...it still might not be correctable if this happens and it will cost you more.....

I have had one person tell me to proceed....we didn't have an issue on that one...BUT....I don't trust them and tell other cleaners to be careful also

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I cleaned a down filled cushion couch about a month ago. I was paranoid about overwetting it, so I just did a cold water acid rinse.

I remember seeing brown spots on the back of the top of the couch, and assumed it was mildew from sitting in front of an old window. I told them that they can try to use 3%peroxide, but I won’t do it. They were happy with how it turned out, because they bought it at an estate sale (rich people yard sale)

Reactions: Bryce C

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Still not clear about the corrective procedure. Household ammonia is sprayed, then a solution of baking soda? Apply baking soda immediately after ammonia? Leave or rinse out? Force dry? Does the cover need to be removed from the cushion for this treatment?

Much obliged.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Apply the bicarbonate immediately after the ammonia. The cushion cover can remain in place for this treatment

Leave it dry. Often there will be a white haze and stiff feel from the residue. Remove that by brushing and vacuuming; rinse only as a last resort.

This doesn't always work, but it works often enough to be worth a try. If it happens to you, get in touch with me and I'll help

Reactions: Bryce C and Johnny

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Apply the bicarbonate immediately after the ammonia. The cushion cover can remain in place for this treatment

Leave it dry. Often there will be a white haze and stiff feel from the residue. Remove that by brushing and vacuuming; rinse only as a last resort.

This doesn't always work, but it works often enough to be worth a try. If it happens to you, get in touch with me and I'll help

Thanks, Jim!

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
What are the mechanics of this process? How does the ammonia work? What does the baking soda do?

Much obliged.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If you want a lot of detail, more than I'd like to type.

I'm not well today, but you can call me tomorrow at 412-414-9129.

Reactions: Johnny

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Added to my contact list... if you get a call from me it means I really screwed up :-)
Appreciate all your help here on the board and get well soon!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom