My conclusion and opinion of the Tri-force stretcher

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I want to start by saying that I was sent one to try and keep for free if I liked it and was asked to give my opinion of it on here. If I didn't like it, I would tell you guys and I would have sent it back. I don't need anymore crap in my garage.

After using it for the last three weeks and stretching 12 homes, along with numerous transition repairs, I think I have used it in enough situations to give a honest opinion.

At first I was not impressed. It took some getting used to and was awkward to use. When using it you have to put your knee on the pad to push down on it. I am only 5'4" and it seemed to be a long reach for me. After using a few times it it became more natural to do.

When I got used to it I was stretching rooms faster and easier. I was also not having to move as much furniture to make room for the poles from my regular stretcher. I could stretch wrinkles along a wall without worrying about what was on the other wall behind it.

If there was wrinkles in carpet and I didn't feel like dragging out the stretcher, I used to not offer to take them out for the customer. With the Tri-force, it is quick and easy to knock out a wrinkle and add some extra cash to a job.

I had a stretch and clean job yesterday. I figured it would take me 2 hours to stretch the carpet so I priced it at $200. With the Tri-force I was able to stretch the carpet in 45 minutes. I then cleaned the carpet for another $240. With the time saved, I made $440 in a little under 3 hours.

I have also been able to stretch some difficult areas a lot easier with the Tri-force.
y8a5ehy3.jpg

3u9abe5u.jpg

This hallway did not have a good wall behind it to put my power stretcher on. With this kind of a wrinkle I normally would cut a seam, pull it together with my crab stretcher and then reseam it. I was able to do this without cutting the carpet because I didn't need a wall behind it.

ja6u7ade.jpg

ju8yvu3e.jpg

Transition repairs are easier to do, especially if it has an awkward angle or bend to it. Sometimes if there isn't a good wall behind it, it can be hard to stretch it back into place.

ra6amuvy.jpg

These ones can be a PITA. With the Tri-force you can work right around the bend and not have to move the furniture behind it.

I am impressed with this tool and I think it is a must have for anyone that stretches carpet on a regular basis.

Where I live homes were being thrown together during the housing bubble because there was a high demand with all of the people relocating here. Now these homes are filled with carpets with wrinkles. I make a ton of money stretching. If you are stepping over wrinkles, then you are missing out on easy money and the Tri-force has made it easier and faster.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks for the feedback Charlie.

As one of my original concerns raised, did you happen to work on any heavy weight carpets? What about any jute backed ones or are they totally non existent over there?

John

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yes, thanks for that update. I have been "stepping over wrinkles" for a long time now, simply because I don't have room on my van for my power stretcher and tools. I may have to think about this.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Thanks for the feedback Charlie.

As one of my original concerns raised, did you happen to work on any heavy weight carpets? What about any jute backed ones or are they totally non existent over there?

John

I've never had to stretch any jute back carpet. If there is any it would be extremely old. Most of the carpet that I do restretches on are about 6-7 years old.

By heavy weight, I would say I stretched some thick stuff with it and it worked well. I'm not too sure what you would consider heavy weight.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Yes, thanks for that update. I have been "stepping over wrinkles" for a long time now, simply because I don't have room on my van for my power stretcher and tools. I may have to think about this.

It will take up some room. But if you want to add some money to jobs you're already at, it will work. People will pay to have the wrinkles gone. Some people have no idea that they can be removed.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Would you say it is for experienced repair guys only or a newby should pick one of these up?

It would work for a newbie. They might learn it even faster, because they don't have to re-learn how to use it. There is a learning curve to it.
And just like the bear claw, it doesn't come with a power head.

Bruno Fissori

Name
Bruno Fissori
Charlie, Thank you for your review of the triFORCE. There is a very real learning curve with this tool, we have to set aside our current knowledge of carpet stretching and use the tool differently than what we are used to. Getting used to it does take a job or three. I found that I prefer to use my hand on the pad, instead of my knee. Call if you have any questions.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you for the report Charlie. Looks good.

If I understand it correctly, due to the fact that you would not be using the power head, you'd end up cutting less of the extra carpet as a result of the stretch. It will allow you to stretch in smaller spaces and avoid having to fill the gap created on one side in say a doorway situation.
Wouldn't it as a result re-wrinkle (buckle) sooner in the future?

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I can see i,ll be getting a new tool soon. Less times I'm gonna have to bust open and reseam no more carrying that fooking pole case

When are you putting one up for auction

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Charlie, I can see from the picture that you attach the powerhead to the "triforce".
However, I assume that since there is no poles run from the opposite wall that the stretch generated will be less than the traditional way. After all there is only that much stretch that can be generated from a 3 feet area compared to a much longer area. I can see the advantage in smaller areas and also in avoiding all the issues associated with a long pole. Though I do wonder if the end results (due to less stretch) are more likely to re-buckle sooner.

It could be that the local stretch generates an over all tightening of the entire carpet. Am I missing something?

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
Without trying the unit yet , but from I can see and understand. It will give you the same results as using a pole set. But much easier
as we stretch carpet 4 or 5 times a week this is a time saver tool for us . ( I hope) I just bought one off their web site.

Time to sell them a banner mikey

FredC

Village Idiot
when does the rotomolded and carbon fiber copy come out cu?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks Charlie, I can see from the picture that you attach the powerhead to the "triforce".
However, I assume that since there is no poles run from the opposite wall that the stretch generated will be less than the traditional way. After all there is only that much stretch that can be generated from a 3 feet area compared to a much longer area. I can see the advantage in smaller areas and also in avoiding all the issues associated with a long pole. Though I do wonder if the end results (due to less stretch) are more likely to re-buckle sooner.

It could be that the local stretch generates an over all tightening of the entire carpet. Am I missing something?

Although it is only stretching that 3' or so, after the unit is released the carpet behind the TriForce will then be pulled up.

ie; there would be an equal force all around the perimeter of the room.

That's how I see it.

:yoda:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman

Bruno can explain the physics behind it better than I can. Using the traditional stretcher, I've never been called back for wrinkles coming back. The Tri-force seems to get the carpet just as tight as the traditional stretcher. So I guess for me, I'll know if and when I get a call back. But I've been told that they haven't had any problems in their R&D of the product.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I'll talk to Barry Costa about the tool. He didn't mention it when he was just here. Bruno have you talked to Barry yet? You should send him one and if he puts his stamp on it then we can talk about us carrying it. If you don't have his info PM me and I'll get you in touch with him

Reactions: Bruno Fissori

Bruno Fissori

Name
Bruno Fissori

Ofer,
the stretch is actually from the center of the room, pulling in between the feet and up through the center of the stretcher. It does not matter if it is a 10' room or an 18' room, it only pulls from the center. If it only pulled from the feet forward you would see a carpet bubble all the way across the back side of the feet. It's a long explanation of the forces in physics, but it operates using vector mechanics, in a nut shell, this thing stretches. In over 8 years of use and testing, we have had zero recalls on new installs or re-stretch jobs. The testing showed that when used correctly it stretched almost 30% tighter than other methods.

Shorty is exactly correct, all four walls being stretched with the unit gives a perfectly even stretch. I will be posting videos of re-stretch jobs that I have coming up pretty soon and I will try and explain and better demonstrate how it actually works. Incidentally, the kick test that Mario does in the 12 X 16 test room shows how tight it got the carpet. If you haven't seen the video yet, go to our site www.3force.net and check it out.
Thank you for your interest!

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
Don't be yapping it up with Ofer it will take him 3 years to make up his mind if he wants one and then another 6 months picking a color, just get mine on the ups truck. .....then you can yap it up with Ofer,and porky

Bruno Fissori

Name
Bruno Fissori
Lol, it will be back by Wed. from the powder coater and on the truck Thurs. am.

Don't be yapping it up with Ofer it will take him 3 years to make up his mind if he wants one and then another 6 months picking a color, just get mine on the ups truck. .....then you can yap it up with Ofer,and porky

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

That's just cold.
Them damn English, teetotaler, mutant fog hounds! :winky:

I already picked pink to be the color.

Last edited:

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
good deal on this invention oh how i worry about these metal studed walls
hallways- tuff transitions i think we will get one soon
thanks charlie

Reactions: Fstaber