OZONE FOR PET ODOR?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I know an ozone generator is basically for smoke odor removal.
But can it be used for pet odor?
Float a carpet and put it so it blows underneath?
Or just close up the house and run it with the ac fan on?

Will it rid a house of pet odor?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sure you can use it. Hell you can run around naked and screaming like a shhiken if you like.

Neither will do you any good. Like Keith stated it for incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons. It completes the cycle, it would take too long to be effective because it doesn't penetrate well.

What are you trying to accomplish James?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Well.............I was reading on that other..............board.
And they were all bragging how it works for pet odor.

And I knew it doesn't work for that.

I can see how it would leave that temporary ozone smell..................but once that went away the ODOR would still be there.

But this is the place where people know..........what ...............they...............are ............talking............about : )

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ozone works for air space but then as you mentioned thats a short term solution.

There are other boards? Whut do ya know?

Were they speaking from experience with success or questioning "if" it worked?

The only time I have EVER heard of it working is from an Ozone salesman or dipshit that thinks he knows whut he is tawkin about. :winky:

Reactions: Jimmy L

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've worked with Ozone gas for several decades. It's capable of a lot of things but I've NOT had any measurable success with Ozone gas and urine.

That's using all major brands and generating from 2-6 grams an hour.

It simply takes too long. Where are the clients during treatment? People should not breath Ozone gas at any concentration.

So you displace clients on premise the Ozone gas will penetrate to affected areas of carpet, cushion & subfloor.

Yea it will happen.....when monkeys fly out my ass! :winky:

Not to mention. Potential damage to anything with latex or natural rubber from extended exposure to Ozone gas. It degrades and ruins these materials quite readily.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I only use it on rentals, so I can, and have tested them against pet odor even at long periods of time (timer is broke on mine):lol:. The odor will come back!!

Ozone is a horrible smell to me, and gives me a headache(so do those ionizers ).:oldrolleyes: Of course the horrible smell can smell better to some then unine, however the ozone smell will dissipate, and leave you with the same stink!!

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I have used it to eliminate dog & cat pee, do not know if it was permanent, but it was also used in conjunction with chemical deodorizer treatments as well. Most restoration companies I work for have stopped using them in favor of a different system. Hydroxyl maybe?

Ozone generators are also a PITA to carry in a carpet van, they are sensitive to moisture.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Crazy how you would think it would eliminate dog and cat pee.. Does it remove it in any way from the carpet,pad,or sub floor.. Only temporary at best, man...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't care for Hydroxyl generators too slow and I still smell a faint Ozone gas odor.

I feel and I may be wrong (ask Keith, I never am wrong....correction I never admit to it) but I think they are risky to operate in occupied space.

I know they they are touted as such but I would not.

Reactions: Able 1

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Crazy how you would think it would eliminate dog and cat pee.. Does it remove it in any way from the carpet,pad,or sub floor.. Only temporary at best, man...
So what carries odor from the pad and subfloor? I think it is air. So you don't think ozone gas can penetrate into any materials, it is only a one way street?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ozone does not penetrate well it would need assistance to do so. In the case of pad & subfloor you'd be much faster disengaging the installation to have access to those surfaces. Then with extended time you can expect some success. Minimal!

There are far better ways to remove/control urine odor.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Without replacing pad and sealing subfloor, soaking and water clawing the entire carpet, what would you do?

Ausmaca

Name
Tony
I have tried finding out about ozone as well, it looks interesting but hard to figure out. I think ozone water may do some good as a part of a solution but not a miraical fix. Although not all correct this article may be of use to some one www dot noai.org/pet-urine-odor-removal. ( been lurking a lot, can't post link yet)

Ozone is used a lot in large scale water treatment for its ability to deal with bacteria which I guess first sparked my interest. I've often wondered if used in conjunction with a claw type extraction device.

Just my thoughts
Cheers

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Without replacing pad and sealing subfloor, soaking and water clawing the entire carpet, what would you do?
Nothing. You have to do it right or walk away. Doing anything less shifts the burden of responsibility on you.

As long as everyone is on the same page then maybe you will be fine but most of the time "people" expect a squirt of this or that to remove gallons of urine soaked into all those materials for years.

It just can't happen, not even with a "magic box" Ozone generator. Its hard work to correct that damage and its going to be expensive, anything less is just a band aid on a gaping wound.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Nothing. You have to do it right or walk away. Doing anything less shifts the burden of responsibility on you.

As long as everyone is on the same page then maybe you will be fine but most of the time "people" expect a squirt of this or that to remove gallons of urine soaked into all those materials for years.

It just can't happen, not even with a "magic box" Ozone generator. Its hard work to correct that damage and its going to be expensive, anything less is just a band aid on a gaping wound.

I think it depends on the degree of contamination whether it can be treated satisfactorily or not without restoration.

You can treat many mid level urine jobs with chems and/or ozone. I've done it many times, there are plenty of different chemicals from many different suppliers for this purpose.

To say the only way to treat urine contamination is to go nuclear and start ripping up carpet and pad is somewhat extreme, especially if you are dealing with rental property management that needs to turn over a unit fast and cheap.

Will the odor come back? Probably, if the humidity levels aren't controlled.

Years ago my sister rented a house that had a pretty bad doggy urine and body odor issue. I chemically treated it and killed the remaining odor with Ozone, it was fine until I cleaned it for her again a year later. The odor returned as soon as I started cleaning the carpet, ozone it again, no more odor.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The Harvard chemical mark recommended worked pretty well.

Nothing will eliminate the urine odor if there is large deposits of urine in the pad all over the place without atleast removal and replacement of the pad.

There are many ways to improve the odor level through different chemicals and cleaning techniques.

Unless there is a seal and pad removal we don't guarantee anything and customers are for the most part very happy with the results. That being said there are also those special customers that think it will come out perfect even though you have put it on the invoice that there is no way to remove all of the urine and there will be a strong odor until the areas completely dry.

You can't please everyone, you can try but I haven't found a way to please them all.

Ozone will help the odor after you have flush the carpet, but for the odor to be knocked down the most, drying the carpet will have the best results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You can dance all around the issue but the facts are facts............OZONE does nothing to pet urine odor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom