OZONE FOR PET ODOR?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I've used ozone (Ecotech, formerly Alpine) machines since the nineties. They certainly do eliminate urine odor. They don't eliminate urine that is built up, so odor could be released in subsequent cleanings.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Able 1

Name
Keith
I've used ozone (Ecotech, formerly Alpine) machines since the nineties. They certainly do eliminate urine odor. They don't eliminate urine that is built up, so odor could be released in subsequent cleanings.

So, if cleaning will release the odor won't a humid day with the windows open?

My main odor issue is with property management.. Can I hide the odor till it's rented, sure! I do believe they should take the whole security deposit from the tenant that caused the issue in the first place. Most of the rentals I clean have about the same monthly rent payment as a mortgage..

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
My attempts at getting rid of urine odor with a ozone machine did NOT work, I have had good results for smoke odors but that is about it.

I did a job the other day that had a strong dog odor, not urine so much but more of a wet dog odor, I Happy Cleaner vaced it, used my poly pre-spray, wanded it out twice for a good flush, and used PC counter reactant and the only complaint was that it had a perfumey smell, but no complaints about doggie smell.

I wish the ozone machine would work as it is just so easy, but I tried it and it just didn't turn out any positive results for urine.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
The Harvard chemical mark recommended worked pretty well.

Nothing will eliminate the urine odor if there is large deposits of urine in the pad all over the place without atleast removal and replacement of the pad.

There are many ways to improve the odor level through different chemicals and cleaning techniques.

Unless there is a seal and pad removal we don't guarantee anything and customers are for the most part very happy with the results. That being said there are also those special customers that think it will come out perfect even though you have put it on the invoice that there is no way to remove all of the urine and there will be a strong odor until the areas completely dry.

You can't please everyone, you can try but I haven't found a way to please them all.

Ozone will help the odor after you have flush the carpet, but for the odor to be knocked down the most, drying the carpet will have the best results.
Is that the Bubble Gum smelling one @Mark Saiger recommended? I'm thinking I want to try that.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I wish there was a easy COST EFFECTIVE way to deal with urine, but for the PM type work, the tenants just seem to let there dogs have the run of the house.

I have been watching my sons German Shep puppy about 5-6 months old......It is CRAZY how much that girl can PEE, She could easily ruin a room of carpet in ONE DAY if left locked up while I was at work for the day.

So when these folks leave there pets in a home day in, day out, saddly the carpet is pretty much shot.....I have learned over the years it just isn't gonna happen I would treat/clean in heartbeat as you can make great money, but most are just to far gone to save, and PM companies just don't want to foot the bill to even give you a chance to even try.

I just stick to the less contaminated, REALLY was just a accident, one or two spots here and there, where you can soak/flush the spot flash extract and peroxide the spot and collect money. These others that just turn a house into a porta pot can buy new carpet.

Name
Nate W.
We've got a PM who's tenant was a military Captain... He just moved into a nicer condo and he complained that he could smell the ethnicity of the type of person who rented it before... The PM asked us to get rid of the smell... The ozone machine seemed like it took care of the problem...

The PM is former military and loves to rent to military too... Guaranteed payment and knows the game...

We've had luck with dog smell but not urine... If it's more than once or twice, that's a toilet not and accident...

Reactions: TConway

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We all know you cannot completely remove the urine if into the pad....and dang tough out of carpet too.

The Harvard Chemicals Pet Stainoff is an enzyme based and neutral cleaner... And smells like bubble gum.

I try to get enough on the carpet at a 4:1 ratio and warm water, so I turn down the truckmount. A nice temp is 120 degrees I have been told... But even after warming up the enzyme and then as I cools, I will make more enzyme babies.... So the longer you can let dwell the better.

Sometimes I will the put our prespray down to help with the rest of the soils and cleaning, but I have found if you can leave enzyme behind and even force into the pad in bad spots, that enzyme will keep working TP eliminate this type of odor.

Been liking the product a lot over other items I have tried....

Just got 15 more cases in for us up here and few other carpet cleaning friends.

I can have it drop shipped to you if you cannot find it elsewhere. Amazon might not carry it anymore... They found out it was costing them money selling at the price they were... And even more with the free shipping they were offering

steve_64

I just want to get in and get out and get paid.
Dont you have to run ozone at am unsafe level to humans and pets for it to be effective?
Ill just keep spraying and sucking where I can.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Ozone doesn't work for urine.................

For PM just spray some microban on it for the "Kill"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I prefer enzymes, time (at least 24-hours) for digestion then clean and apply foo foo as a cover.

Other than that it needs the full boat. Pull it up remove the pad clean & seal the floor, replace the pad, clean & treat the carpet both sides. The carpet better be worth it or maybe its removal time and gut it all including tack strip & base trim. ???

Few want that unless the are new owners to the situation.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
So, if cleaning will release the odor won't a humid day with the windows open?

My main odor issue is with property management.. Can I hide the odor till it's rented, sure! I do believe they should take the whole security deposit from the tenant that caused the issue in the first place. Most of the rentals I clean have about the same monthly rent payment as a mortgage..

Yes of course, if the urine hasn't been removed or thoroughly broken down, it is going to smell again. I don't think anyone is suggesting that ozone alone can remove built up deposits of urine or anything else.

However, those home hydroxyl or ozone units are very effective at suppressing odors of all kinds and are safe if run at low levels.

A pet owner without one is asking for stink.

As for selling Amway, Ricardo, is there an honest buck in it?

Oh wait. That was the wrong question to ask you...

Hahaha

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

I don't believe Ozone should ever be used by a homeowner at any level of concentration. I think it's a bad idea, I don't believe it's safe for occupied use.

Reactions: rhino1

steve_64

I cleaned for a realtor and they ran one in the office all day to control odors.

Everyone there complained of throat and lung issues. I convinced them to stop using it after cleaning the office.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I saw the same thing Steve, at a not for profit we cleaned for. The receptionist complained the "Carpet Cleaning" was making her ill.
I walk in and was slapped in the face with Ozone. We told the facilities manager what was going on and for them to have her turn it off and call us back in a few days and see if that fixed it. We never heard back. :oldrolleyes:

People that know a little, do idiotic things. :errf:

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I wouldn't run an ozone machine in an occupied unit, definitely not worth the risk and long term exposure to ozone gas is probably not a good idea. I had a conversation with a local business guy that all he does is dye repair and ozone treatments. He told me he was doing a high level ozone treatment of a house and the homeowner thought it would be a good idea to put the dog in the house overnight because the dog smelled bad... you can probably guess what happened.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I hear what you all are saying, but it runs against common sense. What I mean is that any ozone machine can be set too high for the space. If you can smell it, turn it down. If there are odor replenishment sources, there is a balance point to treat them without overdosing. As an example, I once sold a unit to some veterinarian in Chattanooga. He'd tried all sorts of ways to control pee smell and ended up with a sort of fruity bleach smell instead.

Over the weekend, it went away and he placed the unit in the kennel area (on low). The odors were deminished to the point he could not smell them and by keeping it at low, they stayed away.

Interestingly, the animals were calmer. It makes sense, as many pet smells carry stress hormones and such.

The takeaway is that using ozone is a process, done slowly and reduced as needed. But, it is effective.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I tried selling those April Air home units to customers. I gave up after learning of the hazards.
I used one at home and was convinced that the FOG was really cleaning the air. You see I read all of the April Air propaganda and I just knew my air was clean. But the wife convinced me otherwise that the ozone stunk and she couldn't see thru the fog.

Kind of like those ENCAPSULATION klowns who believe all of the BS about scampoos.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
By the EPA
If used at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone applied to indoor air
does not effectively remove viruses, bacteria, mold, or other biological pollutants.

Some data suggest that low levels of ozone may reduce airborne concentrations and inhibit the
growth of some biological organisms while ozone is present, but ozone concentrations would
have to be 5 - 10 times higher than public health standards allow before the ozone could
decontaminate the air sufficiently to prevent survival and regeneration of the organisms once the
ozone is removed (Dyas, et al.,1983; Foarde et al., 1997).

Even at high concentrations, ozone may have no effect on biological contaminants embedded in
porous material such as duct lining or ceiling tiles (Foarde et al, 1997). In other words, ozone
produced by ozone generators may inhibit the growth of some biological agents while it is
present, but it is unlikely to fully decontaminate the air unless concentrations are high enough to
be a health concern if people are present. Even with high levels of ozone, contaminants
embedded in porous material may not be affected at all

Conclusions
Whether in its pure form or mixed with other chemicals, ozone can be harmful to health
When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts of ozone can cause chest pain,
coughing, shortness of breath and, throat irritation. It may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such
as asthma as well as compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.

Some studies show that ozone concentrations produced by ozone generators can exceed health
standards even when one follows manufacturer’s instructions.

Many factors affect ozone concentrations including the amount of ozone produced by the machine(s), the size of the indoor space, the amount of material in the room with which ozone reacts, the outdoor ozone concentration, and the amount of ventilation. These factors make
it difficult to control the ozone concentration in all circumstances.

Available scientific evidence shows that, at concentrations that do not exceed public health
standards, ozone is generally ineffective in controlling indoor air pollution.

The concentration of ozone would have to greatly exceed health standards to be effective in removing
most indoor air contaminants. In the process of reacting with chemicals indoors, ozone can produce
other chemicals that themselves can be irritating and corrosive

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-08/documents/ozone_generator.pdf

A15

Name
KP
To answer your question Jimmy, yes, but only in one particular situation.....a hot real estate market where the house sells in a 2 week span.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom